Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not when over their working years they earned more than 2-3x the typical Medicare tax payer. They LOSE money on the deal. Simple math.
It is getting worse for the well to do moving forward. But for my high earning years the rates have been nominal. In the future the biggie will be continued increases on high earners' monthly premiums. Even then it is bound to be a bargain compared to what a private concern would charge. And of course for the truly rich this is all of meager consequence to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:42 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Who is "he?"

Since the original comment was in response to my post, I assume he is me. If so, the assertion that I "would be pleased to see more people on welfare than those working," is false. Please don't speak for me.

If is also a false assumption that only those who are not employed get social benefits. Over 30% of SNAP participants work.
Oh, I get it. People can't form an opinion about YOU, but YOU get to form assumptions about others. Duly noted.

Who said it is only those not employed get social benefits? Not me.

The unfortunate truth is that so many people have had to turn to government for some form of "social" benefit just to survive (or go to food banks, which charitable, is not a "social" benefit), be they employed or unemployed.

Here's a news flash for you: You are not always the smartest person in the room (forum).

Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Don't those people have a right to vote? What I takeaway from your statement is that votes from the young and minorities are somehow illegitimate.

$350 billion out of our $4 trillion budget is not an outlandish amount to be paying to take care of the needy.

Fictional people that you make up is not evidence.

Unlike you, I do not know (or care) what most Democrats believe. I am all for ridding healthy, capable people living off the government rolls -- we should stop corporate welfare that allows this cycle of dependency for CEOs and the elite.
You seem to do a lot of "assuming" and "takeaways". Fictional people? LOL. You need to get out more if you don't think that is how it works when it comes to generational welfare.

How about SSI? People collecting disability and they are as healthy as a horse.

No - we need to stop handing out "social" benefits to people who are capable of work - any kind of work. It's pretty said when our government awards SSI to people who claim they can't speak English and it's classified and qualifies as a "disability", when there are people who are legitimately disabled and have to fight for disability and wait years if they get it at all.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:32 AM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
How about saving yourself?

How about making social security voluntary?

The US tax systems is VERY PROGRESSIVE when one takes into account SS and Medicare. However, there is never enough, and the libs will never be satisfied with any degree of taxation, until it reaches 100%. Having arrived at 100% of income, they will initiate an asset or "wealth" tax.
I don't see making SS voluntary turning out well, I could see an increase in homeless people. It's a small stipend to keep people barely functional, people seem to think the world was such a great place before SS and Medicare, it wasn't.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see making SS voluntary turning out well, I could see an increase in homeless people. It's a small stipend to keep people barely functional, people seem to think the world was such a great place before SS and Medicare, it wasn't.
People will be dying in the streets

Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
People will be dying in the streets
Not usually in the streets, but things weren't better before Medicare and ssn.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
You seem to do a lot of "assuming" and "takeaways". Fictional people? LOL. You need to get out more if you don't think that is how it works when it comes to generational welfare.

How about SSI? People collecting disability and they are as healthy as a horse.

No - we need to stop handing out "social" benefits to people who are capable of work - any kind of work. It's pretty said when our government awards SSI to people who claim they can't speak English and it's classified and qualifies as a "disability", when there are people who are legitimately disabled and have to fight for disability and wait years if they get it at all.
That's an issue with implementation.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Most of the federal budget is allocated to handout spending. And yet, liberals say we need to cut defense spending which only accounts for about 16% of the budget.

Do they not understand that even if we cut the entire defense budget, we would still end up with a budget deficit? Why do they not understand that all this welfare spending is simply not sustainable?

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/

Oh, and the handout spending (2.33 T) as a percentage of the estimated 2015 federal tax revenue (3.2 T) is about 73% That means that almost 3/4 of the tax money you send to the federal government goes straight to handouts. And they still claim it's not enough.
Social security is not a handout.

It is something I paid into for over 50 years.

And now it's welfare?

I spread sheet it once using historical bank interest rates since 1964 and as it turns out if only my social security taxes, along with the share my employer paid, had been deposited into a simple federally insured bank passbook savings account today I would have nearly $900,000 in the bank. But somehow I am on the dole taking welfare?"

Old 09-29-2015, 08:50 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Social security is not a handout.

It is something I paid into for over 50 years.

And now it's welfare?

I spread sheet it once using historical bank interest rates since 1964 and as it turns out if only my social security taxes, along with the share my employer paid, had been deposited into a simple federally insured bank passbook savings account today I would have nearly $900,000 in the bank. But somehow I am on the dole taking welfare?"
You are certainly not.
SS as it stands today is as if the typical recipient is receiving dividends on a $500K annuity. Of course that should be tax free.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Leeches want to conflate their free sh*t obtained by robbing taxpayers with programs those same taxpayers pay into for 40+ years. It's just more Leftist BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies