Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,430 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in a multicultural environment in racially mixed Belgium, I always felt a bit oblivious to racial stereotyping. It was only when i started studying photography, and more specifically, seeing the United Colors of Benetton billboards that caused such controversy in the 80's, that I realized how big an issue this was to the rest of the world. These ads still have profound impact on people. Personally, I find them artistically stunning, but see what you think. I posted 5 of their most controversial shots here:
[url=http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/5987/your-most-controversial-united-colors-of-benetton-advert]Your most controversial United Colors of Benetton advert[/url]

vote on the one that shocks you the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
I've got a friend who's black, highly educated, moneyed, and as a result, naturally articulate. However, on a number of occassions, he tells me he'll post messages online only later to reveal his ethnicity, and will be met with comments like, "Are you really black?" and "I thought you were white".
I've been mistaken for a man on these boards several times

Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM

383 posts, read 722,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I have an issue with the original poster that started this thread (not personal of course). Even though they are concerned about stereotypes, they paired being articulate with being "upper-middle class" or "rich" even. I was raised (and still am) pretty darn poor. However, I'm pretty articulate. The same goes for most of my family members.
Yes i agree with you 100%. Why does your income level have to do with how articulate you are. George washington carver and oprah are prime examples of that. Just because you grew up poor or low-income doesn't mean you aren't smart as the kid who lives in the suburbs or mansion. I have a counsin who grew up in south central LA gang land basically. But yet saw himself as better than that so now he is in college.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sigh. The never ending struggle between Arabs and West African descended American blacks to co-opt a complicated and mixed peoples and culture as "their own."
Egypt is in africa no matter what you want to think. King Tut was a black man and queen nefferttiti was a black woman. The arabs didn't conquered egypt to hundreds of years after the original egyptians. Egypt had already been conquered by persians, romans, greeks. and libiyans by the time arabs came around. Egyptians called themselves africans never mixed people. I doubt the word mixed people was even used back then.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
Egypt is in africa no matter what you want to think. King Tut was a black man and queen nefferttiti was a black woman. The arabs didn't conquered egypt to hundreds of years after the original egyptians. Egypt had already been conquered by persians, romans, greeks. and libiyans by the time arabs came around. Egyptians called themselves africans never mixed people. I doubt the word mixed people was even used back then.
This is not the time, nor the place for this discussion. Suffice it to say that the issue is STILL a nauseating lesson in cultural co-opting by (usually) American born blacks of West African descent and Arabs in an effort to boost self-esteem with a little racial inferiority complex thrown into the mix for bad measure.

Leave the Egyptians alone. How about this? You can't use modern day racial constructs to pigeon hole the Egyptians, whose civilization lied in the crossroads of the "civilized" world. They saw themselves as part of the EGYPTIAN RACE, distinct from the Nubians to the South, and various Arabs to the East.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:24 PM

Usually the only people who argue about the race of the egyptains. Are some white people like yourself. Who don't want to imagine the first language, water irrigation system, goverment, medicine, music, engineering were created by blacks. Most blacks already know their history. And the first arabs were black sorry dude.

I was going to major in history while in college. So i don't think im the person you want to argue about the race of the egyptians. I know to much history when it comes to things like this. Yes you are correct egyptians saw themselves as diffrent from other africans but yet still called themselves african or negro.

Still want to argue. There were only three races at the time of the ancient egyptians.

Africans, european, and semite. Egyptians would never called themselves semite or european

But back to the OP with hip-hop and other things in america. The generation between 15-30 is so much more acceptable when it comes to race. And you are less likely to hear these stereotypes no matter black, white, asian, or hispanic.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Still want to argue. There were only three races at the time of the ancient egyptians.

Africans, european, and semite.

Interesting. So the Chinese began their existence SINCE that time? Or are they an offshoot of the European? How about American Indians, Asiatic Indians, Filipinos, or Polynesians? Are they Africans, Europeans, or Semites?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting. So the Chinese began their existence SINCE that time? Or are they an offshoot of the European? How about American Indians, Asiatic Indians, Filipinos, or Polynesians? Are they Africans, Europeans, or Semites?
Its hard to say because the first people on the universe were blacks from africa who traveled many new lands. And their skin color began to change over a periods of time. So the people who stayed in africa with the extreme heat skin color stay the same or got darker. And the people who went to europe or other places without heat skin color got lighter and lighter because of the cold. The people in cold parts of the world wore reindeer skin which covered their body unlike the ones in africa and the middle east. So asians, indians, filipinos, and polynesians are probably made up of africans, europeans, and semites.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 88,355 times
I'm suprised you're suprised. America has been a haven of lies, deception, and ignorance masked by high-minded words and ideals since it's inception. To think anything less is to be naive. The race issue isn't going anywhere until competiton ceases to exist so until you have to reason not to marginalize someone in an attempt to accomplish your goals you always categorize and label people to for your own selfish benefit. The only time you don't is when you're dead.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Its hard to say because the first people on the universe were blacks from africa who traveled many new lands. And their skin color began to change over a periods of time. So the people who stayed in africa with the extreme heat skin color stay the same or got darker. And the people who went to europe or other places without heat skin color got lighter and lighter because of the cold. The people in cold parts of the world wore reindeer skin which covered their body unlike the ones in africa and the middle east. So asians, indians, filipinos, and polynesians are probably made up of africans, europeans, and semites.
Thanks for your explanation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies