Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM

659 posts, read 312,731 times

Advertisements

Sarcasm.

Of course I knew you were being sarcastic! Are you being serious? I suppose I should have been more clear with my tongue-in-cheek "pat on the back" comment, but I thought anyone could tell that was not compliment coming from you, most certainly coming from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM

"And, at point in the future, if Muslims outnumber other groups in this country, do you think they'll keep the Constitution? Or shred it in favor of Sharia Law?"

These questions really give pause...

How many people in this country, born and raised, have all kinds of heartburn that our constitution/government is not ruled by the word of God?

I worry more about our Religious Right and all they would do to impose their beliefs in America than I do about Muslims!

We are a secular society, governed by the rule of law! And rightfully so.

Judging who is more or less in favor or these principals based on prejudices goes against what this country stands for, does it not???

Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"And, at point in the future, if Muslims outnumber other groups in this country, do you think they'll keep the Constitution? Or shred it in favor of Sharia Law?"

These questions really give pause...

How many people in this country, born and raised, have all kinds of heartburn that our constitution/government is not ruled by the word of God?

I worry more about our Religious Right and all they would do to impose their beliefs in America than I do about Muslims!
Many Muslims are to the right of the Religious Right on social issues. They might just team up.

The Religious Right has lost every major battle in the last half century. They are not much to worry about.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:38 PM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times
There is no comparisonof Christian beliefs to Muslims or Sharia Law. That's ridiculous! Think about it!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Many Muslims are to the right of the Religious Right on social issues. They might just team up.

The Religious Right has lost every major battle in the last half century. They are not much to worry about.
Maybe I can sleep better tonight too then! Thanks!

Seems to me there are many Christians that are pretty far right on social issues, and the Constitution is often what stands in their way of things. Nevertheless, most understand the rule of law, the Constitution, and don't storm the Capital to tear it up. Why are we less inclined to believe American Muslims are any different?

They need not "team up" in any case. The great majority of Americans identify themselves with a religion, mostly Christian of course.

Religious folks already represent a SUPER majority, but this does not our government make...

Old 09-30-2015, 04:45 PM

Default Thinking about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is no comparisonof Christian beliefs to Muslims or Sharia Law. That's ridiculous! Think about it!
I've thought plenty about it, and of course there are many comparisons to make, but not if you don't like them!

We've certainly already learned that much...

Old 09-30-2015, 04:54 PM

Islam is similar to Christianity, both believe that:

- There is only one God. He is the Creator and Sustainer of the universe.

- God sent prophets such as Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Joseph, John the Baptist, Jesus, etc.

- People should follow the Ten Commandments and the moral teachings of the prophets.

- Mary, the mother of Jesus, was a virgin; therefore Jesus was born miraculously.

- Jesus Christ is the Messiah and he performed miracles.

- The Old testament/Torah and the new testament/Gospel) are holy scriptures.

- Satan is evil; therefore, people should not follow Satan.

- An Anti-Christ will appear on Earth before the Day of Judgment.

- Jesus Christ will return by descending from Heaven and will kill the Anti-Christ.

- The Day of Judgment will occur and people will be judged.

- There is hell and paradise.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Islam is similar to Christianity, both believe that:

- There is only one God. He is the Creator and Sustainer of the universe.

- God sent prophets such as Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Joseph, John the Baptist, Jesus, etc.

- People should follow the Ten Commandments and the moral teachings of the prophets.

- Mary, the mother of Jesus, was a virgin; therefore Jesus was born miraculously.

- Jesus Christ is the Messiah and he performed miracles.

- The Old testament/Torah and the new testament/Gospel) are holy scriptures.

- Satan is evil; therefore, people should not follow Satan.

- An Anti-Christ will appear on Earth before the Day of Judgment.

- Jesus Christ will return by descending from Heaven and will kill the Anti-Christ.

- The Day of Judgment will occur and people will be judged.

- There is hell and paradise.
Few Christians have a need to fly airplanes into buildings for the greater glory of God, however.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Maybe I can sleep better tonight too then! Thanks!

Seems to me there are many Christians that are pretty far right on social issues, and the Constitution is often what stands in their way of things. Nevertheless, most understand the rule of law, the Constitution, and don't storm the Capital to tear it up. Why are we less inclined to believe American Muslims are any different?

They need not "team up" in any case. The great majority of Americans identify themselves with a religion, mostly Christian of course.

Religious folks already represent a SUPER majority, but this does not our government make...
Up to now we have picked and chose our Muslim immigrants and thus have avoided the problems Europe has had. We should continue to follow the policies we have in the past and not change because it is the "humanitarian" thing to do.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:41 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Ben Carson took a stab at this sort of thing, and I don't think it is going so well, because these notions and way of thinking are misguided, wrong-headed.

Our POTUS today comes from a line or race or history that many once upon a time might have deemed "unfit." Unfortunately, there seem to be all too many of those people still on the planet today, but when it comes to progress along these lines, none comes easy or quickly.

What culture "does not fit?" What does that even mean? People from poor cultures? Disadvantaged? From a country without natural resources? Democracy? Different colored people? Of different faith? Different language? How does any person from any culture not "fit" as a result of that culture?

I'll bet there is a U.S. citizen from just about every country in the world that we would be hard pressed to suggest does not "fit" in America.

Seems to me the people who REALLY don't "fit" in America are those who think this way!
I'm not going to play your game. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies