Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
That is correct, up to and until your actions to perceive your way of life infringes on the freedom, liberties, and rights of others. Once you try to preserve your way of life at another person's (or peoples) expanse, that's when it becomes racist, fascist, and amoral.
A country has the right to retain it's identifying culture and language. To deny that right infringes on the freedom, liberties and rights of their own citizens. There is nothing racist, etc. about it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:04 PM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A country has the right to retain it's identifying culture and language. To deny that right infringes on the freedom, liberties and rights of their own citizens. There is nothing racist, etc. about it either.
Based on all of your posts that I've read, I would guess that you believe rights come only from the Constitution. So, where in the Constitution does it say that Americans have the right to "retain it's identifying culture and language"?

Just curious.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:17 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
That is correct, up to and until your actions to perceive your way of life infringes on the freedom, liberties, and rights of others. Once you try to preserve your way of life at another person's (or peoples) expanse, that's when it becomes racist, fascist, and amoral.
Oh well.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I have been trying to find the language to express my discomfort with the presumption that anyone who does not welcome very large numbers of refugees into Europe with widely opened arms is somehow resurrecting the ghost of Hitler. Or the right language to express the proscribed thought that those in Eastern Europe who want to settle only Christian refugees might have appropriate reservations about the very real difficulties of integrating very different cultural and religious practices into their distinct way of life.

Wanting to Preserve Your Way of Life Does Not Make You Racist or Fascist*|*Nathan Gardels

Wow, just wow.

When the "lib" Huff Post starts going AGAINST multiculturalism; things MUST be getting bad in Europe with its illegal alien problem.
Well, it may not make one a racist/fascist, but the ideology is a shared one. Sort of like... dislike for Iran Nuclear deal does not make one a Muslim like Khumeini. You could be a Christian or a Jew and share his ideologies.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:16 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
source please because I can't find a reference to that claim..anywhere.

U.S. to Take In at Least 5,000 More Refugees Next Year, Kerry Says - WSJ
I noticed dechatelet couldn't provide a source...

Old 10-08-2015, 05:16 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"Condescend much?"

Where it seems appropriate or needed, yes.

Not sure how many other ways there are to address some of the intolerance expressed here, or what some might refer to as red neck intolerance in general, but I am loath to recognize these notions in any respectful manner, that's for sure.
You could try coming up with good arguments.

Try that for a change.

Quote:
People who refer to refugees as "scum" deserve no respect, should expect the opposite, but unfortunately they don't care either way. They know no respect and they will not change.
What if the "refugees" are scum? Or terrorists? Or simple frauds?

No one is supposed to point that out?

Old 10-08-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
"Why do immigrants even move here if they don't want to assimilate into our society? That makes no sense at all."

Oh Jesus, permission to condescend, please!

Talk about not knowing the first thing about immigrants. You have GOT to be kidding!
Immigrants are supposed to want to assimilate.

You didn't know that?

Amazing.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do immigrants even move here if they don't want to assimilate into our society? That makes no sense at all. Are we just an opportunity cash cow to them? That's not to say they can't practice their native cultures and languages in private. One has to know English in order to become a naturalized citizen anyway.

rem we recruited---and still do for cheap labor

Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
"To suggest that the Nazis wanted a "melting pot" of different cultures and ethnicities (as in the supposed American ideal) is wrong."

I don't know how I can put it any plainer. I do not suggest this as presented in your statement. The definition of "assimilation" goes well beyond your strict definition as I explained before. Also, again, the more significant issue is what Americans should expect in the way of assimilation. I would argue we should be less adamant about assimilation per the definition I provided before and more tolerant of those here legally regardless how much the look, sound or act like you or me.
You just can't admit that you were wrong about the Nazis demanding that people "assimilate."

Wow.

This isn't rocket science.

Nazi Germany was not an open, immigration-based society in which different cultures were urged to "melt" into a multi-cultural "melting pot."

Why don't you just admit that, and move on?

You can criticize demands for assimilation in America all you want.

Just leave the Nazis out of it.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Based on all of your posts that I've read, I would guess that you believe rights come only from the Constitution. So, where in the Constitution does it say that Americans have the right to "retain it's identifying culture and language"?

Just curious.
The Constitution doesn't give any rights to Americans as a whole, but rather to individual citizens.

But that doesn't mean that Americans as a whole do not have certain unwritten rights.

Common sense would indicate a number of unspoken truths that liberals love to ignore:

First, that constitutions in general set out the basic laws of...wait for it....sovereign and independent nation-states.

Second, that those sovereign and independent nation-states reserve the right to determine their own cultural and ethnic makeup, religion, governing institutions, laws, immigration policies, etc.

Third, that they reserve the right to preserve the integrity of their borders, and determine at their sole discretion who is allowed or not allowed to immigrate and become a citizen.

You know....stuff that liberals routinely deny.

These issues are -- in the United States -- supposed to be decided in a democratic and lawful fashion by an educated populace that is not deceived by politicians beholden to special interests and by a partisan media.

Unfortunately, that has not been happening.

Thus, the America envisioned by the Founders is dying -- and will eventually become a corrupt, bankrupt, impoverished, Balkanized and war-torn Third World country if the liberals have their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies