Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times

Advertisements

8. CHURCH TAX ALSO KNOWN AS TITHES

Church members, through the use of fear and guilt, are manipulated into paying a 10 percent membership fee to fund the lifestyle of their usually unemployed leader. This 10 percent is added to the mandatory state taxes they have to pay, leaving many people with less than 60 cents for every dollar they make. If the almighty God wants to get something done I am pretty sure he can get it done without your much-needed money. Modern churches are not only in the business of saving souls, but investment banking. Promising their sheep immense returns on their investments.
What church members don’t realize is regardless of what you pay, you will not receive your financial blessing. The pastor’s blessing comes from your weekly donation that pays his bills, while no one is donating to you to pay your bills.

13 Reasons Why African Americans Are Broke And Most Likely Will Remain Broke, Unless… : ThyBlackMan.com

Old 09-29-2015, 04:59 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
1. White people.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:11 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post

Church members, through the use of fear and guilt, are manipulated into paying a 10 percent membership fee to fund the lifestyle of their usually unemployed leader. This 10 percent is added to the mandatory state taxes they have to pay, leaving many people with less than 60 cents for every dollar they make. If the almighty God wants to get something done I am pretty sure he can get it done without your much-needed money. Modern churches are not only in the business of saving souls, but investment banking. Promising their sheep immense returns on their investments.
What church members don’t realize is regardless of what you pay, you will not receive your financial blessing. The pastor’s blessing comes from your weekly donation that pays his bills, while no one is donating to you to pay your bills.

13 Reasons Why African Americans Are Broke And Most Likely Will Remain Broke, Unless… : ThyBlackMan.com
I read the list. Not a thing listed about tithing. Alot of White people tithe as well. And yet, more Blacks are going broke. I don't think the church is what is making Black people go broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
1. White people.
Something tells me this was a sarcastic way of belittling this article. If you read the article, there is pretty much nothing mentioned about White people. Far more in that article is mentioned about personal responsibility and being fiscally responsible.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:31 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I read the list. Not a thing listed about tithing. Alot of White people tithe as well. And yet, more Blacks are going broke. I don't think the church is what is making Black people go broke.

For me personally, I admit I don't like talking about money (in the sense of business language) because I don't understand it. All that lingo concerning investments, IRAs, roths, stocks, all that..........you might as well be speaking in Chinese to me. It goes right over my head. I remember when I started working here and it was time for me to sign up for my TSP. I eyes glazed over and my mind went numb! It was like torture to me; I was so confused and didn't know what to do, HR extended the deadline for me to enroll. I finally just had to ask God to please watch over monetary assets and just picked one! The only thing I understand about money is that you have to be smart using it and be careful who you give it to. That's probably why I'm as a poor as a church mouse, but I'm content with what I have.

Regarding tithing, as a Believer in God and Christ, I too give my required tenth. To me, it's as natural and common as breathing. For me personally, tithing "sowed the seed" of obedience in other areas of my life; proof of it convinced me that if I can be consistent with my obedience to God concerning my finances, surely I can be just as committed to doing so in other areas of my faith walk, and it has worked! I thank God for allowing me the opportunity to give back a portion of what He has shared with me, and I thank Him for employment because Lord knows I could be on the other side of it!

It baffles me how folks claim to believe in God and walk in faith, yet when it comes to tithing & giving, those are the first ones to justify not doing so by saying it's something man came up with (or the preacher says to do). God, not the pastor, clearly gave the commandment to tithe (not one of the 10 Commandments) and that commandment, along with the consequences of doing so and not doing so are illustrated throughout the Bible. Rest assured, if you don't give your tenth to God, you'll give more than that to the mechanic or plumber or electrician or doctor or dentist or hairdresser or bill collector......

Old 09-29-2015, 06:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Can't speak for all African Americans...but I'm not from "broke" stock and don't ever plan to be broke myself barring disaster.

That's all I gotta say.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
That list works for the poor whites I know, it's not just a "black" thing. Follow all 13 and you will be broke and unhappy, no matter the race.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
And where are the violence, and the poor work and education values?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Many people of all races are broke, even more so when we have a Republican in the WH. Why single out blacks?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 PM

794 posts, read 818,919 times

Purchasing used import luxury cars doesn't help either. Fixing a twelve year old flagship Benz can't be cheap. I chuckle at every person of color I see rolling up like the king of Zamunda in an old third hand luxury brand.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 PM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post

10% of the gross? Yikes, what a racket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies