Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
What, jealous that someone else is using a tactic that you use so freely
Not really. Just would like to go with logic.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Not really. Just would like to go with logic.
You haven't used logic throughout this conversation, why start now?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What good did it do any of the students in any of these shootings? We still have the dead. Once one of these lunatics decide this is what they are going to do all of the talk, hiding, and peaceful approach isn't going to save anybody (if they are in the assailants sights). There is no safer option at that time - it is fight or die.

The only reason you are 'free' today is because of the weapons that protect our Country, our President, our law makers and our institutions. Without weapons; somebody would give you a rude awakening.

Total BS. You live in a fantasy. What do mean by "rude awakening"? It isn't me that lives in a little bubble of nonsense, totally and utterly shut off from the real world. Tell me, have you ever lived outside the US? Travelled even?

I grew up in the UK - one of the most disarmed countries on earth - what was keeping me "free" there? I can tell you, that country's population is just as free as I am here. Of course, the chance of getting shot there is about a 100,000 times lower than here

Old 10-06-2015, 12:21 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Notice none of the Dems are proposing any new, concrete reforms that might make any kind of difference? Not one of them has proposed licensing all gun owners with a mental health evaluation before issuance. Not one of them have proposed a gun violence restraining order.

The only thing they are proposing is an expansion of the same old failed system that we currently have and that 9/10 killers sail through with no problem, and insane suggestions like repealing laws to make it easer to sue a third party gun company for the actions of a criminal....

You wanna know why I won't support any gun control laws? That's why. I'm not gonna support something just because it's a change if it doesn't actually work,

Old 10-06-2015, 12:24 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
You are absolutely clueless. Not surprising really. I'll give you this one last comment (which you can consider education) and then wish you adios.

When Reagan was elected President in 1980, he discarded a law proposed by Carter that would have continued funding federal community mental health centers. This basically eliminated services for people struggling with mental illness.

He made similar decisions while he was the governor of California, releasing more than half of the state’s mental hospital patients and passing a law that abolished involuntary hospitalization of people struggling with mental illness.

I am not sure that there are many people who would have the audacity to praise Reagan when it comes to the treatment of mental health. You have officially proclaimed your "loony" status.
Mental health facilities were closing way before Reagan became president.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Quote:
I grew up in the UK - one of the most disarmed countries on earth - what was keeping me "free" there? I can tell you, that country's population is just as free as I am here. Of course, the chance of getting shot there is about a 100,000 times lower than here
No it isn't.

Homicides by Gun in the US : 5.2 per 100,000

Homicides by Gun in the UK : 1.1 per 100,000

BUT, the US gun homicide rate is skewed up significantly by the black American Homicides by Gun rate of 19.5 per 100,000.

If only looking at Gun Homicides among white America, the rate is 2.5 per 100,000. This rate is quite low, considering that gun ownership rate in the US is almost 90 guns per 100 people compared to only 6.2 guns per 100 people in the UK.

Maybe its good that Brits are not permitted gun ownership in the UK?

And Brits are not just as free as Americans. Brits are prohibitted from owning guns.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post

And Brits are not just as free as Americans. Brits are prohibitted from owning guns.

No they arent.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:30 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Total BS. You live in a fantasy. What do mean by "rude awakening"? It isn't me that lives in a little bubble of nonsense, totally and utterly shut off from the real world. Tell me, have you ever lived outside the US? Travelled even?

Does the UK have a navy, army, air force? Doesn't it also have nukes? Whether you live here or over there; your 'safety' still depends on weapons. Of course you could argue that you don't need as many as you do have in either nation. But you will never know how many are too few until you loose your freedom. Somebody is always eyeing what somebody else has; that is human nature.

Did you really feel safer in the UK: Social media post says U.K. has far higher violent crime rate than U.S. does | PolitiFact. That article claims the crime rate is four times higher than the US.

As far as travel: I used to travel 100,000 miles/year - but most of that was in the US. So what does that have to do with this conversation? Your more 'liberal' because you travel more?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:03 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
No it isn't.

Homicides by Gun in the US : 5.2 per 100,000

Homicides by Gun in the UK : 1.1 per 100,000

BUT, the US gun homicide rate is skewed up significantly by the black American Homicides by Gun rate of 19.5 per 100,000.

If only looking at Gun Homicides among white America, the rate is 2.5 per 100,000. This rate is quite low, considering that gun ownership rate in the US is almost 90 guns per 100 people compared to only 6.2 guns per 100 people in the UK.

Maybe its good that Brits are not permitted gun ownership in the UK?

why do black homicides not count?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:47 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
The people of Roesburg see that Obama is just using the tragic event to push his political agenda to defy the 2nd Amendment

Roseburg, Oregon City Leaders: Obama IS NOT WELCOME to Come Grandstand at the Funerals of Shooting Victims

David Jacques, publisher of the Roseburg Beacon, told Bill O’Reilly on Monday that the people of Roseburg would not welcome Barack Obama if he came to town to politicize the funerals of the Umpqua College shooting victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies