Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 05:59 PM

659 posts, read 309,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You forget that Supreme Court justices are mere mortals. They are not Gods and their rulings not sacrosanct. And when you consider the potential for personal politics and activism to play a role on the bench, it certainly leaves room to question their decisions... Even they don't always agree with one another. Rarely is there ever a unanimous decision among all nine. I am also my own person with my own thoughts and knowledge just like they are. I'm not willing to cede my own judgment just because "they said it, so it must be right"....
I have forgot no such thing!

Maybe I am misunderstanding the explanation here, but who doesn't know we live in an imperfect world full of contradictions, gray areas and human error? This too is no argument against doing what we can, best we can, imperfect though we may be, right?

What say you of our system of legal judgement that calls upon a jury of 12 people, mere mortals all of them. Might you suggest we not adhere to the a jury's judgement because any one if not more are fallible?

I surely don't understand these arguments that point at imperfections as if this is somehow good reason not to do as we always have -- the best we can!

People who think like this must never marry or commit to anything, because anyone can always find fault with just about anything...

With all due respect, this is a typical "loser's mentality" that goal-oriented people, leaders, often struggle to overcome. Why it is often said, "don't let perfection be the enemy of good."

Much like imperfections, however, you will always have the naysayers, no matter what...

Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,839,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
I have forgot no such thing!
What say you of our system of legal judgement that calls upon a jury of
12 people, mere mortals all of them. Might you suggest we not adhere to the a
jury's judgement because any one if not more are fallible?
I am not suggesting that we don't adhere to their rulings, I am merely saying that we all reserve the right to have our own opinions, and, if those opinions so dictate, dare to disagree. And because of the inherent fallibility of any human structure, it would be an exercise in foolishness to believe that our rights can't ever be infringed, because we entrust SCOTUS, a fallible human structure, to safeguard them....
Quote:
I surely don't understand these arguments that point at imperfections as if this
is somehow good reason not to do as we always have -- the best we can!
The imperfections are not an excuse to do nothing, but they are a reason to remain vigilant and wary.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,608,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The question shouldn't be what restrictions can we legally place on society but rather , what can we legally do that actually might make a difference.

That would be to concentrate on mental health issues and what affect drugging a generation of kids has done.
So the NRA is going to start supporting health care? What a joke.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So the NRA is going to start supporting health care? What a joke.
What does the NRA have to do with what I said? They have absolutely nothing to do with how we handle health care.

Should we expect NARAL to speak up on the latest transportation bill?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What does the NRA have to do with what I said? They have absolutely nothing to do with how we handle health care.

Should we expect NARAL to speak up on the latest transportation bill?
If Republicans and the NRA want to blame all the shootings on a need for mental health care, I don't see them coming up with the next step on that. Otherwise, they are just blowing a lot of hot air.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
If Republicans and the NRA want to blame all the shootings on a need for mental health care, I don't see them coming up with the next step on that.
I have no clue what that has to do with anything at all. It's nuts how partisan you are. I stated what we needed to do. What others do have absolutely nothing to do with that.

Quote:
Otherwise, they are just blowing a lot of hot air.
I have no clue if they are pushing this and it matters none. It's what needs done.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:26 PM

I hear Republicans say we need more guns everywhere, the solution is more guns and the only problem is mental health. But I don't see any Republicans suggesting an actual solution to mental health in the country. It's just something to say.

Never mind that countries where there are far less guns have far fewer deaths. Funny how that works.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I hear Republicans say we need more guns everywhere, the solution is more guns and the only problem is mental health. But I don't see any Republicans suggesting an actual solution to mental health in the country. It's just something to say.

Never mind that countries where there are far less guns have far fewer deaths. Funny how that works.
This has all been covered many times. There are countries with a lot of guns with fewer deaths also......so we look where things are different.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...dont-have-adhd

Old 10-09-2015, 07:37 PM

Perhaps certain states should have all the guns and ammo they want and let Darwin sort it out.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,505,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Is it just me or has this thread gone south?
Well where the heck did you think it was going to go.

Guess you missed Obozos presser the other day where he stated he was purposely going to make it his Political Mission to do something about more gun control.

Just wait until Dear Leader issues some sort of feel good Executive Action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies