Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 07:57 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Why Obama politicizes this is purely for the purpose of satisfying convention. He has to be seen to be outraged. Any other reaction, or lack thereof, would merely hasten his irrelevance.
I find the outrage over Obama's press conference very odd, even coming from many of the diehard Republicans/conservatives on this forum. What was he supposed to do? Not comment at all after nine Americans were killed? Maybe come out and say, "Oh well, we can't do anything about this?" Or maybe you'd prefer he came out with a rifle and started shouting "Shall not be infringed!" while blasting it into the air?

I mean, really...some people are never going to be satisfied with anything Obama does (or doesn't do). But to call his reaction "politicizing this tragedy" is just completely disingenuous.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:58 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Actually the writer who took that and posted it said that "She is upset about the shootings." I don't care about her smile. I care about the truth, that mass shootings increase gun sales, which is exactly how the NRA wants it.
LOL The NRA wants? That's like saying Panned Parenthood wants more pregnancies for abortions ...

Old 10-03-2015, 08:04 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Rip to the victims, incredibly sad and hate waking up to this on a regular basis, thank god I live in Australia where we put an end to this type of stuff a couple of decades ago.
How did Australia put an end to this epidemic of gun massacres? We need some advice over here.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I just read about the gunman: Chris Harper Mercer; he's a mixed race Irish Republican Army lover. I call him "1 messed up dude". His nic is something I'd peg as a "storm front" fan: IronCross45

Chris Harper Mercer: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
From your link:
Quote:
He Says on a Dating Profile That He ‘Doesn’t Like Organized Religion’ & Is a ‘Conservative, Republican’

Old 10-03-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am wondering if we are ever going to hear the whole story about this one. The president is asking for gun control when he needs to be concentrating on religious extremist from what I heard reported on TV in the early stages. Did anybody else hear about the people being shot being asked about their religion? I heard this mentioned by someone who was in the next room then I have heard nothing else about it.
You want to abolish the first amendment to protect the second?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:13 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The Internet is full of thousands of examples of armed civilians taking down shooters before, during and after shootings that most likely would have turned into "mass shootings"
So you say.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
....... How many school shootings involving anyone over the age of 30 have there been?.........
That's a good question!

Let's keep this angle to the US for locations like Israel and Beslan will probably show a serious difference in age.

I don't know (would love to have a computer system where I could rapidly address that question) but let me suggest an alternate approach to that.

One goes to the place they are familiar with. Hence the age of the assailant may be reflective of the age that is expected to be in that location. An incident of work place violence will probably find a higher age and that the person knew their way around because they had been there "normally". Of course, another factor is, perhaps, one goes to the place that angered them the most.

I congratulate you, seriously. That's a good question!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Nice attitude from someone who lives in a country where a military man can be hacked to death in broad daylight and no one can lift a finger to help him. I can guarantee in my town that would not have happened as someone would have pulled a LEGAL gun and shot the perpetrators.
Nice attitude from someone who lives in a country where DOZENS of school kids are killed every few months by people who have pulled a LEGAL gun and shot them to death. Signed: Guy from a country where ONE MILITARY man was killed and the perpetrators were shot by the proper authorities.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
With freedom comes responsibility and there are irresponsible gun owners that contribute to the accidental deaths. I do understand some of your points in regard to the availability of guns, I do. But I believe very sincerely that if our lawmakers in Congress tighten gun ownership they will do it in a way that makes it onerous for law abiding citizens while doing nothing to keep guns out of the hands of the crazies or the criminals. They are incompetent.

We can start by ending the gun show loophole.

Quote:
Gun show loophole is a political term in the United States referring to sales of firearms by private sellers, including those done at gun shows, and within the secondary market. The loophole refers to a perceived gap in the law with regard to sales or transfers of firearms between private citizens. The concept may also be referred to as the Brady Law loophole and the private sale loophole. Under federal law, private-party sellers are not required to perform background checks of buyers to verify that the buyer is not prohibited from possessing a firearm. Private sellers are also not required to record the sale or ask for identification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

Wisconsin Mass Shooter Exploited Background Check Loophole That NRA Says Isn't A Problem

Columbine shooters got a rifle and the two shotguns at the Tanner Gun Show

The issue is: Thugs are making and selling guns in America for profit and we are allowing our children to be slaughtered in support of them.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I have a colleague who comes from a country which has very high levels of violence, a lot of it with firearms. They also have very, very strict gun laws so that it is essentially impossible for a private citizen to buy a hand gun and very difficult to buy a long gun and there are lots of restrictions. He said only the military, law enforcement and criminals have guns in his country. When I asked where the criminals got guns he said they got them from the military and law enforcement. He also said that people essentially surrender to criminals and give them whatever they want because they can't defend themselves. People that think that guns law, even draconian guns law, are going to make a difference are fools.

Interestingly enough, as soon as my colleague could buy a gun in this country, he bought one. I think there's a lesson in that.
Interesting you don't mention the country. I am betting it is Mexico and the problem stems from how easy it is for these criminals to get their hands on guns here in the US and take it over the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies