Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:32 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times

Advertisements

Luckily all things come to an end, we just have to wait 3 more years and hope Kansans vote to take the state in a different direction. I'm hoping the moderate wing of the GOP can make a comeback, I don't know if we have any moderates still elected here or not. But politics is politics and we will likely get a very conservative or very liberal governor next term...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 12:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Sam Brownback is a good man. He is right, most of you are wrong, to say the least. We need to start somewhere to stop and reverse the direction. The moral decay of this nation is sad. God help us!
So to you a kitten dies every time a same sex couple is issued a marriage license?

Old 10-03-2015, 01:01 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
At least Brownback proved one thing. Trickle-down (voodoo) economics doesn't work.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:12 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Luckily all things come to an end, we just have to wait 3 more years and hope Kansans vote to take the state in a different direction. I'm hoping the moderate wing of the GOP can make a comeback, I don't know if we have any moderates still elected here or not. But politics is politics and we will likely get a very conservative or very liberal governor next term...
I don't see things improving in Kansas for a very long time unfortunately.. It's too bad voter apathy and bad politician(s) prove to be an even worse mix. It will be quite interesting to see how Johnson County fares 10-20 years from now, though.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't see things improving in Kansas for a very long time unfortunately.. It's too bad voter apathy and bad politician(s) prove to be an even worse mix.
It's the same way with Oklahoma. It's believed as the result of lower oil prices that state tax revenues may be as much as $1.5 billion off. The problem is that the current Oklahoma Republican Party has moved so far to the Christian right that it has lost the capacity to properly govern to really serve the people. For instance, trying to fix the Oklahoma Constitution so the Ten Commandments monument can return to the State Capitol grounds will be a major priority when the legislature resumes session next year. Never mind what the U. S. constitution might think about the monument.

Voter apathy risks that only extreme special interests will be interested enough in gaining power.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:08 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't see things improving in Kansas for a very long time unfortunately.. It's too bad voter apathy and bad politician(s) prove to be an even worse mix. It will be quite interesting to see how Johnson County fares 10-20 years from now, though.
I agree to an extent, Kansas would be doing better with a better governor. I live in rural Shawnee county, and to me personally the area is better then ever, despite what's going on with the state government. JOCO isn't the only place doing well in Kansas. The I-70 corridor if you will, from KC to Salina seems to be doing well, even Hays and that surrounding area is doing well. Property values in my areas have increased over 10% in the last couple years and we never really saw any depreciation in the housing bubble like many states. My brother just sold his house in 3 days, and my neighbor never even put up a "for sale" sign, it sold the day he talked to the realtor. That doesn't sound like things that should happen in a bad economy. So I am optimistic it can improve significantly and quickly once the government changes hands. I'll be honest though, I wouldn't have thought Brownback would have been this bad of a governor. I also wonder if things would be much better under Paul Davis. Sure the budget would be better, school funding would be better off, but I don't think the economy as a whole would be much different. Outside the government I really don't feel the economy is doing bad at all. I own a business here in Topeka, and my dad owns a business in a different industry and we are both doing better then ever. My dad has gone from 10 employees to 25. I realize that's just one example and perspective in the whole state, but that's my personal experience and observations.

I think it was from today in the Capital Journal that they said the state revenues were off by $30~ million for September. I hope Brownback wakes up or humbles himself or something and realizes what he has done before the damage is permanent. His experiment failed, lets go back to how things were and move on. I honestly would not be shocked if Brownback resigns before his term is over.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
At least Brownback proved one thing. Trickle-down (voodoo) economics doesn't work.
So, what have you learned? Stop voting for these right-wing clowns.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I'm glad I don't live in Kansas, I just live close enough to view the carnage.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It is very important to understand that the majority of people in Kansas vote the way they do because Republican candidates stand closer to the issues that most concern Kansas people. Those issues are to be pro God, pro Gun and anti-Gay along with cutting taxes. It's most intensely true in the vast rural areas of Kansas. And it's very true in the same exact way in Oklahoma. For instance, the Oklahoma Republican Party hopes to provide a home at its state HQ for the Ten Commandments monument when it must soon be removed from the Oklahoma State Capitol grounds. What a splendid way for Republicans to show off how pro God they are.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:56 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I agree to an extent, Kansas would be doing better with a better governor. I live in rural Shawnee county, and to me personally the area is better then ever, despite what's going on with the state government. JOCO isn't the only place doing well in Kansas. The I-70 corridor if you will, from KC to Salina seems to be doing well, even Hays and that surrounding area is doing well. Property values in my areas have increased over 10% in the last couple years and we never really saw any depreciation in the housing bubble like many states. My brother just sold his house in 3 days, and my neighbor never even put up a "for sale" sign, it sold the day he talked to the realtor. That doesn't sound like things that should happen in a bad economy. So I am optimistic it can improve significantly and quickly once the government changes hands. I'll be honest though, I wouldn't have thought Brownback would have been this bad of a governor. I also wonder if things would be much better under Paul Davis. Sure the budget would be better, school funding would be better off, but I don't think the economy as a whole would be much different. Outside the government I really don't feel the economy is doing bad at all. I own a business here in Topeka, and my dad owns a business in a different industry and we are both doing better then ever. My dad has gone from 10 employees to 25. I realize that's just one example and perspective in the whole state, but that's my personal experience and observations.

I think it was from today in the Capital Journal that they said the state revenues were off by $30~ million for September. I hope Brownback wakes up or humbles himself or something and realizes what he has done before the damage is permanent. His experiment failed, lets go back to how things were and move on. I honestly would not be shocked if Brownback resigns before his term is over.
There is no doubt in my mind that Kansas would be in a far better position with just about any governor that isn't Brownback. I am glad your personal and local economic conditions are faring well considering the total percentage change in employment for the state in the last 12 months has been 0.1% according to the BLS, far lower than all but a couple of states, every one with an energy dominated economy that doesn't include Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies