Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:28 PM

6,367 posts, read 6,245,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Of course it is my right to own a Musket. And I do, Thank you...

Bet they never considered them owning "Cell Phones" either.
Probably not. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 11:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,799,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Those quotes can be interpreted either way.

Maybe. But i think you missed the point of my post.

I think that the founder fathers would be enraged at all of the mass shootings, suicides and homicides that they would swiftly amend the second amendment to reflect the realities of today. (e.g., population explosion, automobiles, drug dealing, mass communications, doors that lock, etc.)

Just because you have a right to do something, does not mean the public does not have a right to AMEND SUCH RIGHT for our own safety and liberties.

"The 10 Amendments" are not "The 10 Commandments." We CAN AND SHOULD add and subtract to them when needed. Take the Volstead Act- 18th amendment voted it into law. The 21st amendment repealed it.
The ability to amend the bill of rights is laid out in the constitution. everything the founders caught for and wrote was about siding with liberty and personal choice. The founder would probably want another revolution over how their original vision has been distorted and destroyed over the last 200 years.

10,216 posts, read 8,099,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
No.

I have my opinion on what is constitutional
Scouts has an opinion on what is constitutional

One of those is worth more than the other.

You are basically arguing that scotus has free reign to nix the constitution.

It is in mans nature to try and control other men. The constituon was out in place to establish a set of principals that people have rights that other men cannot take. Becausean does what he does, the rights of men are slowly eroded as mans nature. At which time the Declaration of Independence allows the formation of a new government to better establish the original principals of liberty.
No I'm arguing that the founding fathers setup who is to decide constitutionality per the Constitution..... it's funny how your far righties love the Constitution until it challenges you .... I am sorry if you think your opinion matters more than the supreme court.... Thats not how its setup.....

mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,968,069 times
Quote:
Those quotes can be interpreted either way.
Then you owe it to your audience by breaking them down and giving readers your juxtaposed interpretation of Mason's, Coxe's, Hamilton's statements as outlined upthread.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
No I'm arguing that the founding fathers setup who is to decide constitutionality per the Constitution..... it's funny how your far righties love the Constitution until it challenges you .... I am sorry if you think your opinion matters more than the supreme court.... Thats not how its setup.....
I didn't say my opinion mattered more than the supreme court.

You are arguing for every bad decision scotus ever made because the sanctity of scotus is all powerful. You would probably be lock step with brown v board of education and dozens of other terrible rulings overtime. I bet you love citizens United as well.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,750,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How can you call yourself a constitutionalist if you want to deprive mentally ill citizens their right to bear arms? Isn't that gun regulation in itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Lacking the mental faculty to follow regulations makes it difficult to consider it possible for the mentally impaired to be well regulated. This is different from someone who is capable of following regulations but refuses to.
this is the problem we face in this country. if someone is mentally defective, then they should not have a firearm. however, until that person is given due process, and properly adjudicated, how can you remove their rights?

Old 10-02-2015, 01:34 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,870,842 times
Quote:
^ THIS

It is your right to own a MUSKET.

And no, i DO NOT think the founding fathers, as smart as they were, ever considered citizens owning automated weapons to the point of machine guns.
By that logic, you only have the right to free speech by quil and parchment. No free speech on tv pr phones or on the internet. Oh, and also, the 4th Amendment also doesn't apply to computers or phones or anything invented after the drafting of the BoR.... The government can search those things at will....

The problem here is people like you who won't even acknowledge that we do in fact have a legitimate right to own modern firearms for the very legit purpose of self defense...

You scoff and condescend people who believe this, you don't take their Constitution right, affirmed by the highest court in the land, seriously, so why should they negotiate with people like you to find a solution to this problem? Because of people like you, and your counterparts on the other side, nothing will ever get done.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:31 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
I think we should listen to the mental health professionals opinions.

Sometimes the 2nd amendment craze goes a bit insane. The NRA used to be about gun safety and responsible ownership. Now any regulation is painted as the burning of the constitution.
The NRA isn't against regulations that restrict the rights of the mentally ill through due process.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:55 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,283,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
No.

I have my opinion on what is constitutional
Scouts has an opinion on what is constitutional

One of those is worth more than the other.

You are basically arguing that scotus has free reign to nix the constitution.

It is in mans nature to try and control other men. The constituon was out in place to establish a set of principals that people have rights that other men cannot take. Becausean does what he does, the rights of men are slowly eroded as mans nature. At which time the Declaration of Independence allows the formation of a new government to better establish the original principals of liberty.
The problem is they do. Trying to r33fine what regulated is is trivia and dishonest.

B3 honest and say common sense gun control is repealing the second amendment.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The problem is they do. Trying to r33fine what regulated is is trivia and dishonest.

B3 honest and say common sense gun control is repealing the second amendment.
Common sense gun control is using two hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies