Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:51 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
IMO these gun free zones are an open invitation for any lunatic or terrorist looking to kill people. We certainly cannot eliminate guns and if we did and were successful in do so the nuts or terrorists would use other means, i.e., bombs, poison, etc.
I believe the answer is to change the labeling of gun free zone to protected zones and train and arm selected people within those zones. Why not have a teacher who is willing to volunteer to go through weapons training have the opportunity to defend him/herself and their students? There are many ex-servicemen/women who have already had the training working in many civilian business and schools.

The big question is; why are our politicians making our children and grandchildren targets for violence with no way to protect themselves?

Gun free zones just might as well be called Constitution Suspensin zones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:57 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Legislatures normally give quite a bit of weight to the opinions of those involved in education or any other department.

Congress consults the DOD on many issues before they make a decision.

Sure, have hearings and listen intently to DoD officials tell them why a weapon system is unnecessary...then they vote for it anyway because the contractors are in their districts.

"Quite a bit of weight" is not "deference," and "deference" is what I was responding to. If the issue were merely "quite a bit of weight," no response would have been evoked.

Colleges are not elementary schools--they are inhabited by adults. I can't see any logical reason why they deserve any special consideration that should prevent CHL holders from carrying their weapons on campus.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Even the security guard on campus only had mace

There was an American Hero, a veteran, who went toward the killer. He took 7 bullets and helped save many more students. All he could do was to talk to the killer. Thank God he is alive today.

If he would have been legally armed, he might have ended it right there

If my kids were in college today, I guarantee they would be armed!
My only concern is that the teachers might become too lenient on their grading, knowing their whole classroom is armed. They certainly wouldn't want to give out "F"'s.

Also it possibly could hinder one's ability to absorb knowledge, knowing everybody around them including the teacher is armed. While the teacher is writing formulas on the board, your attention might drift, "that guy looks odd, that guy is reaching down for something, oh it's just his calculator. Teacher can you explain it again? I was a little preoccupied".

Last edited by New Horizons; 10-05-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Even the security guard on campus only had mace

There was an American Hero, a veteran, who went toward the killer. He took 7 bullets and helped save many more students. All he could do was to talk to the killer. Thank God he is alive today.

If he would have been legally armed, he might have ended it right there

If my kids were in college today, I guarantee they would be armed!
Mine is in College but he will be expelled if he brings a gun so he can only be a lame duck per the rules of the College and if it is up to the POTUS than it will become worse!

My grand parents died in Auschwitz due to the bad guys (Nazi's) having guns and they didn't!

That's why we have guns as we don't want to be the victim of the bad guys without guns! I already dealt with a home invasion or whatever you call it when a burglar comes into the house while all home owners are asleep and they took an antique clock.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
My only concern is that the teachers might become too lenient on their grading, knowing their whole classroom is armed. They certainly wouldn't want to give out "F"'s.

Also it possibly could hinder one's ability to absorb knowledge, knowing everybody around them including the teacher is armed.
The whole classroom would not be armed. As I've said:

The minimum age for a Texas CHL is 21. That excludes more than half the student population.

It costs $250 to $300 for most people to get a Texas CHL. That would exclude quite a significant additional proportion.

The background and residency checks to get a Texas CHL are more robust than the check to get a military SECRET clearance. That will exclude another significant portion.

Most of the persons on a college campus who would actually wind up Texas CHL holders would be military, former military, police, and former police.

Well, maybe there would be some Criminal Justice classrooms that would be fully armed....

Old 10-05-2015, 02:57 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Our local community college is about the same size as the one in Oregon. I'm an old man but I take some classes there.
The "maintenance" man in the evenings is a former deputy sheriff and still picks up bond jumpers. The school requires him to leave his weapon elsewhere. I would feel much safer if he could be armed in this gun-free zone. I don't carry my gun to school because I would be arrested. Once a semester, 5 minutes is spent telling us what to do if a shooter arrives on campus. Following their rules, there would be many dead before the police could get there, at least 10-15 minutes.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:01 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
college = liberal agenda.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:13 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Once a semester, 5 minutes is spent telling us what to do if a shooter arrives on campus. Following their rules, there would be many dead before the police could get there, at least 10-15 minutes.
Sounds like "duck and cover" during the air raid drills during the cold war when I went to school, USELESS!!! If a nuke went off we would be dust!!

And, that's the same as Gun Free Zones today!

Attached Thumbnails
Why are colleges gun free zones??????-crap.jpg  

Old 10-05-2015, 03:32 PM

15,864 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I have worked on elite college campuses for my entire career and would feel much more unsafe if guns were allowed on campus. Why? Have you ever seen a student who has been replacing sleep with energy drinks for 3 days straight during finals week? We have multiple nervous breakdowns, sometimes coupled with threats, every year. There were several years in a row where we had at least one student commit suicide. The vast majority of our students (90%+) live on campus all 4 years. I do not want guns in dorm rooms. Period.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:34 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have worked on elite college campuses for my entire career and would feel much more unsafe if guns were allowed on campus. Why? Have you ever seen a student who has been replacing sleep with energy drinks for 3 days straight during finals week? We have multiple nervous breakdowns, sometimes coupled with threats, every year. There were several years in a row where we had at least one student commit suicide. The vast majority of our students (90%+) live on campus all 4 years. I do not want guns in dorm rooms. Period.
Why not trained, armed campus police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies