Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 11:10 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,874,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think those examples actually show the superficiality of some Christians. One can pray silently at any time without anyone knowing it. Instead, they enjoy making a spectacle of themselves, as if that makes any difference to God.
If all the seniors were praying then why would it matter anyway? Many senior homes play gospel music and listen to others praying.

Who says they were praying loudly or bothering others......or are you assuming this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 PM

31,847 posts, read 14,835,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If all the seniors were praying then why would it matter anyway? Many senior homes play gospel music and listen to others praying.

Who says they were praying loudly or bothering others......or are you assuming this?
Wow, no wonder my dad didn't want to live in one. It sounds boring as heck

Old 10-03-2015, 11:28 PM

50,223 posts, read 23,846,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Please don't ramble platitudes. Your whole "live and let live" mentality, makes as much sense as saying a prostitute or a drug dealer should be allowed to solicit in front of my house.

And it doesn't matter what you think my job is, the question is whether or not you should be able to force me to do something that goes against my religion, by punishing me with fines, or forcing me out of business.

What you are actually saying is, "If you have religious beliefs, you cannot be a baker". Is that not persecution?

This isn't about Christians vs Atheists. What I'm saying is, any time there is a law which is incompatible with someone's religion, then the enforcement of said law, is a form of persecution by definition.

And the only true way to reconcile such a difference of opinion, is through separation. But since separation isn't possible, then there is no way to reconcile the problem, short of one party or the other being forced to accept something that they believe is repulsive, immoral, or tyrannical.
Every day, thousands and thousands of gay or bi people are served by owners/workers who have no idea they are gay. Everything goes along fine. But then someone makes it known they are gay, and everything stops. That makes no sense.

And then you take an extreme situation and justify asinine behavior. If you've got prostitutes and drug dealers dealing at your front door, then you ought to move. But somehow I doubt you do.

Baking a cake does mean you are sinning, any more than Jesus comforting a prostitute meant he was sinning.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:29 PM

50,223 posts, read 23,846,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Actually, the Christmas thing Christians have come to realize this is going to be a battle and many celebrate it in so many ways it's hardly Christmas anymore.

I see real life issues happening on a day to day bases.......what is your answer to these.......

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs banned the mention of God from veterans’ funerals, overriding the wishes of the deceased’s families.

A federal judge held that prayers before a state House of Representatives could be to Allah but not to Jesus
I'm not saying you're wrong, but could you cite those last 2 items from a RELIABLE source.

Edit: Just looked up the Veterans Affairs issue. You're wrong. Period. In one cemetery (Houston) a family of a deceased was upset when God was mentioned and complained. The cemetery said not to use any such religious term in the rare cases where they do not know the faith of the deceased veteran. Really, shame on you for intentionally posting inaccurate information.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 PM

38,608 posts, read 26,231,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yup. And the shooter was a conservative republican.

AGAIN: "Christians are not being prosecuted in this country."

But many conservative gun lovers are letting many innocent people, rgardless of faith, be persecuted.

Source?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
What outrage do you want? I'm liberal. I'm outraged that innocent people have been killed. Again. I'm outraged that another mentally ill/mentally disturbed young man was legally allowed access to guns. I'm outraged that FALSE stories are being touted as truth, and that Christians are using the deaths of innocent people as political subterfuge to "prove" they are being "persecuted" by the whole country somehow. I am outraged that the Second Amendment is held as a holy document above the lives of the innocent dead. It's all Bullsh!t. Yeah, I'm outraged.

Source?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
An ordained minister and congressional hopeful admitted that he had plans to destroy a Muslim town.

Ordained Christian Minister and Former Congressional Hopeful Planned to 'Utterly Destroy' Muslims in New York Town

And if you took the time to look, you could find plenty of stories of Muslim Americans who were attacked or killed in the weeks following 9/11.

Ignoring that, this isn't really persecution. This is a single example of a madman doing something crazy. This would have to be a wide spread problem without the influence of mental disorder for something like this to be considered persecution. Like being attacked for being Muslim in the weeks following 9/11.

Ordained?

Free Online Minister Ordination - Get Ordained - Universal Life Church

Old 10-04-2015, 12:48 AM

14,863 posts, read 8,147,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Every day, thousands and thousands of gay or bi people are served by owners/workers who have no idea they are gay. Everything goes along fine. But then someone makes it known they are gay, and everything stops. That makes no sense.

And then you take an extreme situation and justify asinine behavior. If you've got prostitutes and drug dealers dealing at your front door, then you ought to move. But somehow I doubt you do.

Baking a cake does mean you are sinning, any more than Jesus comforting a prostitute meant he was sinning.
First, if god is "just", then he wouldn't punish you for honest ignorance.

Second, it is idiotic to say that, if prostitutes were selling themselves out in front of my house, that I should just move. Where do I move to? And is there any way to know if the new place I would move to, wouldn't also have the same problem eventually?

My point is, you are claiming that everyone should effectively have the right to do anything they want as long as it doesn't "directly" harm me. That we should all just be "live and let live", while heroine junkies are shooting-up in the middle of the streets. Why do I have a right to judge?

If people are behaving "immorally", you don't want them anywhere around you, you don't want them around your kids, you don't want them around your wife/girlfriend.

That kind of permissive society simply doesn't work. And it has never worked, and it never will work.

Thirdly, Jesus wasn't in any way "contributing" to what the prostitute was doing, he didn't support her, he didn't say what she was doing was acceptable. He was very much opposed to it. He merely forgave her for her past sins when she came to him, and effectively begged for forgiveness.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...ke%207%3A36-50

The same goes for the whole "casting the first stone" parable as well. He said, "Go, and sin no more".

It is a story of repentance and redemption. Nowhere does Jesus say that living a life of immorality is acceptable. Or that you should in any way assist someone in living a life of immorality.

He says, come to me when you want to straighten up and seek forgiveness, and I will forgive you. That nothing you have ever done in your entire life will taint you forever, you can always be saved if you want to be saved.

Baking a cake for a gay wedding, would be practically on the same ethical level as being a secretary at an abortion clinic.

I never find the "I was just doing my job" excuse, as being sufficient.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:53 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,475,861 times
Quote:
Nowhere does Jesus say that living a life of immorality is acceptable. Or that you should in any way assist someone in living a life of immorality.
Nowhere does Jesus define and condemn immorality, other than religious hypocrisy (using your source).

Quote:
Baking a cake for a gay wedding, would be practically on the same ethical level as being a secretary at an abortion clinic.
In other words, there's no Biblical justification for condemning either. There is Biblical justification for advising not to cast the first stone.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,475,861 times
Quote:
If people are behaving "immorally", you don't want them anywhere around you, you don't want them around your kids, you don't want them around your wife/girlfriend.

That kind of permissive society simply doesn't work. And it has never worked, and it never will work.
And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies