Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If someone likes how they do things in another country, I suggest they feel free to move to that country.

America is no longer a shining city on the hill. And the sad thing is that too many people don't want to improve our country or quality of life.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:27 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If it was for you yes, for a friend, then no

We design and provide project management of large industrial projects worldwide. Most of our clients are the large oil and mining companies and the low oil and copper prices have hit our business pretty hard...taking time off after I finish where I am now until the next upswing and good location comes up.
Why your management how nice, so your the guys who walk around the job site with clean clothes and shiny new hard hats. Congrats to you, the new company I'm with the office staff is Jewish they are religious so we are forced to take off and unless you've been their 2 or more years you get the time off paid. Sucks to especially when your a new employee.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"New digs" are not as nice of an option as one might think. Particularly when the number of "new digs" is growing.
Which is what I stated in the post right after the one you quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You can find food in the forest. You can sit on a sidewalk, near your new bridge home, and beg for money. You can dumpster dive. You can find food.

Oh, what's that? You want all of your things a certain way? Guess what? You're going to have to work for them. Or do you think that feeding yourself and sheltering yourself comfortably is "overrated"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Sorry to say but people with this kind of mentality usually don't end up well, as history shows us)))
Of course they don't, but it's their choice. They are not slaves, they are not being enslaved. If they want to be that dramatic about it all, then go live in the woods. I have no sympathy for anyone who tries to compare themselves to a slave.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
You got to be kidding right? before you criticize the American system try living in another country
Been there done that
American work force is why foreigners take your jobs either by invading your country or off shoring
Americans don't want to work and only 46% do

Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Unless you are a business owner you work FOR ANOTHER PERSON. And this PERSON can make decisions that affect your life. This PERSON can dictate when you come and go or whether you can have time off or not. This PERSON also dictates your compensation for the work you do. It seems you are OK with that. I bet you may go as far as to say you entered this one side relationship on a voluntary basis.
Actually, I grew tired of working for other people so guess what happened? I became my OWN BOSS! Imagine that!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Which is what I stated in the post right after the one you quoted:

Of course they don't, but it's their choice. They are not slaves, they are not being enslaved. If they want to be that dramatic about it all, then go live in the woods. I have no sympathy for anyone who tries to compare themselves to a slave.
I was rather ironic when I mentioned that "growing number of digs" is not a good sign. Or rather dangerous sign I'd say.
As for you not liking comparison with slavery - here it goes;

# 3;

"a condition compared to that of a slave in respect of exhausting labor or restricted freedom.
"female domestic slave"
Synonyms; Drudgery, toil, hard labor, grind.

https://www.google.com/search?q=slav...utf-8&oe=utf-8

So there you have it. The world doesn't operate according to your "likes" or dislikes."
It is what it is, and if people feel like slaves, they are entitled to express their opinion, sorry.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Actually, I grew tired of working for other people so guess what happened? I became my OWN BOSS! Imagine that!
So? You are "your own boss" today and a bankrupt tomorrow.

Humbleness is essential part of "being your own boss," that one has to learn.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:18 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
All the "right to work" laws are not helping things. We're regressing to where we were in the 19th century where there was a wealthy elite who controlled the vast majority of the wealth while the majority of the populace lived in squalor.

Really, the best way to avoid being on the wrong side of the equation is to set yourself up in a career where you are in the drivers seat and the employer needs you more than the reverse. The era of being a loyal employee to a loyal employer for decades, with a mutually beneficial relationship, are unfortunately long gone.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have family in Korea and Japan and know they work more.

In Korea for example a typical schedule is 7am to 6pm except you are expected to arrive before 7am and leave after 6pm. You get paid vacation but nobody uses them because it is very frowned upon. Anybody who uses their paid vacation days will not get a promotion and usually will suffer some kind of deterrent. Politics at the work place is very high. Japan is the same thing, that is why you see on the weekends drunk business man literally passed out sleeping on the street, especially in Japan. Jobs are very stressful there luckily it's safe enough for people to pass out with their phone on their stomach and nobody thinks about stealing them.
Sorry, but real data trumps "I know a guy". Real data says we work more then the japanese now, and that korea is steadily reducing their hours.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:29 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Otherwise, you would be working for someone else. You would be serving the interests of someone else.
Unless you find a boss that actually cares for his employees and accepts less profit. Imagine that!

BTW, as your own boss you are still not free. You have to work for the customer. You are still a slave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies