Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:58 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If Segregation sucked, it certainly didn't suck for everyone. And there are plenty of black people who didn't want segregation to end either. And even people like Spike Lee, has made comments about how he wishes segregation would come back.

Spike Lee and other sentimental segregationists - NY Daily News

He argues that it has "Hurt the black community". Because prior to desegregation, rich blacks and poor blacks lived together. Now, every black person with money has left the historically black areas, and all that is left is severe poverty.

And even worse, now "gentrification", is destroying what is left of the black communities.
It would suck for Blacks who get stuck with the underclass. And Spike Lee is obviously a fascist. According to him, middle and upper class Blacks should be forced to live among the poor Blacks. Can he blame the middle/upper class Blacks for not wanting to live among poor Blacks? Alot of middle/upper class Whites don't want to live around poor Whites.

Integration helped the Black middle class, and the Black middle class has grown considerably since the 1960s. The underclass is left behind. And those who make it out of the ghetto have no reason to return to the ghetto.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:15 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hurt who? The Fair(not far) Housing laws were needed to keep people from being turned down based on race. If you can pay for that house, why should it matter what you are? What if the trashy neighbor you end up with happens to be White? Would it still matter?

The only guaranteed way to have what you want is to restrict the freedoms of others. And that is something I will fight against. I'm happy I have the freedoms and rights that I have. I get what I personally work for. If I want a nice house in any neighborhood I want, and I can pay for it, no one can stop me from having it.
Look, you don't have a "right" to someone else's property, regardless of how much money you have.

The problem with the modern conception of "rights" and "freedoms", is that no one seems to know what in the hell a right or freedom actually is. They now think everything is a right or a freedom. They declare they have a right to healthcare, a right not to be offended, and many other such absurdities.

Lets understand that "rights", as they are talked about by the founders, are really "negative rights". Which means, they are things which you already have, and cannot be taken away. Freedom of speech isn't a right granted to you by government, it is a right which cannot be taken away. Freedom of assembly isn't a right granted to you by government, it is a right which cannot be taken away. A right to bear arms, doesn't mean the government gives you a gun, it merely means the government cannot take it away.

Anything that the government has to provide for you, is not a right or a freedom, it is a privilege.

And more importantly, the government cannot provide you with anything without taking something away from someone else. If you declare you have a right to buy my home, then you are declaring that I am obligated to sell it to you. Thus, if you think having the government force me to sell you my property, is an expansion of your freedom. If such an act actually did expand your freedom, it would only do so by limiting my freedom.

This isn't a matter of freedom or rights, it is a matter of obligations and privileges.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-03-2015 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 11:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Well, you just said "You were on the fence", which literally means you have no position.
It means I can go either way on it depending on the circumstances which itself is a position.

[if i had no position I'd simply say, "I have no opinion."]

Old 10-03-2015, 11:24 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,213 times
Has anyone pointed out there is only one race, human?

It's more accurate to call it ethnicity.

Race isn't actually a thing. Stop trying to make race happen

Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I lived in the city of "Moore, Oklahoma" for about 15 years. That city was created largely as a result of the "white flight" which came with the forced busing of the 1970's. Trust me, if it wasn't illegal, Moore would be pretty much 100% white to this day.

I remember--personally remember--when there were hardcore "sundown" towns in Oklahoma. Even when I was in high school and we had a game in one of those towns, the rules were very specific: No personal vehicles, ride the school bus only; travel directly to the school gym, get off the bus, walk straight into the gym; after the game, walk straight back to the bus; drive by the most direct route out of town.

And I was in an integrated high school: Black and white military brats, white farm kids, and a few Indians from the local reservation school.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:08 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Has anyone pointed out there is only one race, human?

It's more accurate to call it ethnicity.

Race isn't actually a thing. Stop trying to make race happen
You have a master's in anthropology?!

Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
As long as it is not forced, I have no problem with people segregating themselves.

[do what you gotta do]

Integration is forced.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:18 AM

934 posts, read 595,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lemme guess...conservative Republican?
But the. Democrats are the racist ones. Lincoln was. Republican

Old 10-04-2015, 12:30 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
If segregation was enforced the economy would tank and a civil war would ensue. Segregation has been done before with horrible results here and in south Africa. It doesn't work because its ALWAYS based on one group forcing another out.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:32 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Doesn't sound like anybody here has any idea how you would re-implement segregation.
Repeal the laws which force integration. There is no single law decreeing everyone integrates but there are individual acts, policies and bills used as bulldozers to push it all at us so we must integrate/assimilate. Gentrification is an ugly word.

As far as blacks no segregating with whites...consider the fact they were doing fine before liberals decided they needed to go to school and live with whites. They uprooted and replanted them - integration. Modern racism is what it is because of forced integration. The media perpetuates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies