Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 07:47 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why do you buy so many guns?

A lot of the mental impaired shooters come from homes where there were plenty of guns around. Quite often they simply had access to guns that belonged to friends or family members.

Mental impairment + easy access to guns = massacre of innocent people.

1. I have many guns for different types of target shooting/hunting.

2. I collect some types of WW2 military weapons

3. Different guns have different calibers

4. We dont have any insane person in our family

5. Our guns are in gun safes

Asking someone why they have so many guns is like asking a woman why they have so many pairs of shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:47 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Worrying about dying in a mass shooting is like worrying about being struck my lightening.
Rationalization and justification of mass shootings is not sound-----particularly when they are rather frequent. I understand your point about probability, but it is not sound philosophy to accept this.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. I have many guns for different types of target shooting/hunting.

2. I collect some types of WW2 military weapons

3. Different guns have different calibers

4. We dont have any insane person in our family

5. Our guns are in gun safes

Asking someone why they have so many guns is like asking a woman why they have so many pairs of shoes.
I am glad there are no mentally ill people in your family!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:13 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times
Gun laws don't stop shootings. Do drug laws stop people from doing drugs?

Gun laws prevent innocent law abiding citizens from protecting themselves against criminals that don't care about gun laws. Gun laws only hurt the innocent. If a criminal wants to use a gun they will. Hypothetically if guns were confiscated that same criminal that would have used a gun will now choose another weapon of choice to inflict the same harm on others. The person behind the weapon is real problem.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Australia essentially stopped mass shootings by passing laws restricting the sale of rapid-fire guns, and implementing a nationwide gun buyback program. To say that we couldn't do something similar is just lazy.

19 Years After Passing Strict Gun Control Laws, Here's What Happened in Australia - Mic
I wouldn't mind something of this nature.

I think most who oppose this type of model haven't really read up on all the details.

EDIT:
There are certainly aspects that wouldn't fly here, but it might not be a bad starting place to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There was a day, we had mental institutions, too. Kinda kept the problem in check.
Now, they run the streets and can acquire a firearm, if they wish.

It would behoove you and everyone else to also be armed to protect yourself or hire several armed body guards.
I agree with this a lot. To think that removing constitutionally guaranteed rights from law abiding citizens is a BETTER solution than getting the mentally ill out of the general population is an alarming mind set at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
As long as the old laws aren't being enforced why would anyone support passing new laws, unless their real goal isn't to actually reduce crime and violence.

And what happens if by accident they actually do catch someone?

Why Isn't Anyone Up In Arms About Illegal Gun Dealer's Probation? - The Truth About Guns

Just one more law will do it, right?
This is one of the strongest points in the whole thread, but of course no one responded or mentioned it since it was posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
as long as the law refuses to arrest and confine owners of illegal guns, and fail to stop gun sales to mentally unstable buyers, the violence will continue.
here is something you can do to help----- stop throwing home owners in jail or allowing them to be sued in civil court when they defend themselves with firearms from criminals.
Yes, this kind of nonsense should be halted at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A beating heart =/= a living, functioning, person. As we now know, some people will believe anything that they find to be emotionally satisfying, even if it's not true....
Awesomely ironic, as that is exactly describing your stance on gun control.

Quote:
Rationalization and justification of mass shootings is not sound-----particularly when they are rather frequent. I understand your point about probability, but it is not sound philosophy to accept this.
It is not sound philosophy to accept undisputed factual data?

Last edited by chadgates; 10-05-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
You blame the mass shootings on mental illness. We lead the world on mass shootings of innocent people by folks with mental illness. You do the math.
Yes, let's do this math.

45 killed this year by "mass shooters". In the USA this is a whopping 0.000014%.

i.e. It's a bogyman created to push gun control on the people by incompetent and pandering politicians.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
The only law I can think of that may curtail mass shootings is to make it illegal to mention the shooters name on TV or show their picture.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:48 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
Worrying about things that will not happen is a sound philosophy. Too often we dictate the lives of others based on the most rare acts.

If you want to worry about things you can start here.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Other developed countries have similar demographics and yet they do not have mass shootings. The main difference is that the their mentally impaired folks have little access to guns. Not all gun owners have a sound mind.
and yet you still refuse to accept that rampage killing happen nearly as often in other countries, but you say that we cant compare third world countries to the US, but the asian countries are not third world, and yet they have as many rampage killing as this country does. you fail.

Quote:
rampage killings do happen, but not very often. it just seems that way because the media blows them up out of proportion, hammers on them for several days until every bit of story they can generate is used up completely, then they walk away and move onto the next big story they can milk for all its worth.

and in the end its the small minded people that fear something that will likely never happen to them. i dont know how old you are, but i can guess that you are probably in your late teens or early twenties, i am 56, never been around a rampage killing, in fact in all that time, including working twenty five years in the hotel industry, i have only had a gun pointed at me once, when i was running the desk when the hotel i was working was robbed.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

The Imelda Marcos plea is not helpful. The important thing is that a mentally impaired relative could use your guns to shoot innocent people. Could you disable the guns you collect so they cannot shoot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies