Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Much easier to screen potential gun owners for mental illness.
LOL we already have people screened for mental health issues. The work is already done... Prevent them from buying, receiving or using a gun.
In short you prefer to punish all gun owners because you disagree with gun ownership. You make my point about people who believe in either or decision making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 10:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
you are aware that automatic weapons are HIGHLY restricted, right?
As they should be. Now we need to work on HIGHLY restricting semi-automatic guns.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:43 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
As they should be. Now we need to work on HIGHLY restricting semi-automatic guns.
Then pump guns then bolt guns.....right?

Because I can shoot almost as fast with the latter as the former. Sorry, the lil bites at a time was tried here in CA and the SC shot it down.

How about armed security on campuses?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:55 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:

You mean like this one?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:59 AM

A country with absolutely no gun laws! Look and see how it is working out for them!

Quote:
The country is leaderless, a machine-gun the only respected authority, and the capital, Mogadishu, is in complete disorder.
Quote:
Weapons are freely available. Each town has its own gun market where anyone with $200 (£110) can buy an AK47. "There are no laws," says Abdi Nasser, a driver. "We are in a country where no one can control anyone else. People here fight every hour, it's a regular thing."
'There are no laws. We are in a country where no one can control anyone else' - Telegraph

Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Nothing will stop all shootings. (Yet nothing will stop all drunk driving and we spend billions on patrolling, court and incarceration.)

My "common sense proposal" is:

1. Decrease the AMOUNT of guns you are allowed to own. 1 seems enough to cover your second ammendment right. Or 2 since "arms" is plural. And 5 seems like way more than enough- one for each hand, sock and a holster. Also covers more types for dif purposes, target practice, protection, hunting, etc.

The less guns there are, the less likely to fall into the wrong hands. Someone is not going to give another person their ONLY gun. Now, people can do so with no worries. Just sell yours to a criminal, report it stolen and buy another. Or ten more.

"Common sense " tells me that NO ONE NEED 13 guns., nor do I interpret the constitution as granting this right in the phrase "bear arms."

2. Penalties for those who 'lose a gun" to prevent the above from happening. Is it really so much to ask to keep your gun with you OR hide it more responsible in your home?

3. Immediate disciplinary action for those who F up the background process. Take a look at the F ups here by FBI EVEN! Scary to say the least.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...guns.html?_r=0

4. If a gun is stolen from you and used in a homicide, you should at least be charged with a midemeanor. Including parents who's kids rake their weapons a la Adam Lazer. This is more incentive to be a "responsible gun owner."

5. If a minor finds your gun and brings to 'show and tell" or shows off to friends, mandatory sentence for endangering a minor.

6. I am not for a blanket statement of "all mentally ill" or "all convicted criminals" should not own guns. I would like to keep them out of the hands of the following: people who have command hallucinations, past or present suicide attempts, low IQ, (autism?).

As for criminal convictions, these things should automatically screen you out: owning/posessing an an unlicensed firearm, and crime of violence or intimidation, arson, burgalary, and most sex offenses. I do not think posessing small amounts of narcotics, speeding, etc, should be a factor.

More later. I love fwd to coming back and seeing "the usual suspects" totally ignore this post!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You mean like this one?
Here is the issue with semi-automatics.

Quote:
When Adam Lanza shot 26 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, police say he largely relied on a Bushmaster AR-15 "assault-type weapon," a semiautomatic rifle that could rapidly fire multiple high-velocity rounds. He was also equipped with magazines that held 30 bullets each.
Everything you need to know about the assault weapons ban, in one post - The Washington Post

Old 10-06-2015, 11:20 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
why would you want to restrict semi-automatic

a 1911a1 45

is no different that a smith and wesson 45 revolver

both 45 cal, both fire only one round per trigger squueze.... only difference one hold six rounds the other hold seven rounds

Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Nothing will stop all shootings. (Yet nothing will stop all drunk driving and we spend billions on patrolling, court and incarceration.)

My "common sense proposal" is:

1. Decrease the AMOUNT of guns you are allowed to own. 1 seems enough to cover your second ammendment right. Or 2 since "arms" is plural. And 5 seems like way more than enough- one for each hand, sock and a holster. Also covers more types for dif purposes, target practice, protection, hunting, etc.

The less guns there are, the less likely to fall into the wrong hands. Someone is not going to give another person their ONLY gun. Now, people can do so with no worries. Just sell yours to a criminal, report it stolen and buy another. Or ten more.

"Common sense " tells me that NO ONE NEED 13 guns., nor do I interpret the constitution as granting this right in the phrase "bear arms."

2. Penalties for those who 'lose a gun" to prevent the above from happening. Is it really so much to ask to keep your gun with you OR hide it more responsible in your home?

3. Immediate disciplinary action for those who F up the background process. Take a look at the F ups here by FBI EVEN! Scary to say the least.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...guns.html?_r=0

4. If a gun is stolen from you and used in a homicide, you should at least be charged with a midemeanor. Including parents who's kids rake their weapons a la Adam Lazer. This is more incentive to be a "responsible gun owner."

5. If a minor finds your gun and brings to 'show and tell" or shows off to friends, mandatory sentence for endangering a minor.

6. I am not for a blanket statement of "all mentally ill" or "all convicted criminals" should not own guns. I would like to keep them out of the hands of the following: people who have command hallucinations, past or present suicide attempts, low IQ, (autism?).

As for criminal convictions, these things should automatically screen you out: owning/posessing an an unlicensed firearm, and crime of violence or intimidation, arson, burgalary, and most sex offenses. I do not think posessing small amounts of narcotics, speeding, etc, should be a factor.

More later. I love fwd to coming back and seeing "the usual suspects" totally ignore this post!
You wouldn't recognize common sense if it walked up and blew in your ear. You are very good at displaying abject ignorance on almost every subject.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
You wouldn't recognize common sense if it walked up and blew in your ear. You are very good at displaying abject ignorance on almost every subject.
I would say that poster will get on the nerves of every idiot who doesn't have a clue about common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies