Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
With no guns, they would just build a bomb.

If you have an air compressor, you have the ability to create a gun. A gun that has greater ballistics and rate of fire, than that of gun powder.

The limitation: the length of your air hose, or the capacity of your air tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
So, its been decided that these "mass shooters" all have the common thread , of being alienated "losers", who are bitter and have a huge amount of self pity. They , obviously, needed help , of some sort, but couldn't/didn't get it, and just decided to go off. Most of them had been acting goofy for a while. Nobody would have anything to do with them, thus, the alienation, so, I guess they figured SOMEBODY would notice them, if they made themselves famous.

Ours is a cruel society, whether anyone chooses to believe it, or not. Especially young people. Its always been that way. The pressure to be "cool" and well liked. Attractive and successful. Certain types of people get shoved aside. Shunned , even, just for being different. They get told, and start to believe, they are worthless, have no value and nobody is interested in them. You see this a lot in schools, that's where it all starts. The cliques, the "popular" crowd etc. Loner types get LA eled as "weird" , early on, shunned by their peers, and so, made more alone. Its a problem, has been for a while, and now, with all the tech we rely on so much, these people can create a virtual world to live in, where THEY make the "rules" and decide what's "cool and normal".

A fantasy world, made all to real. Technology has not advanced mental health. Its encouraged people to withdraw. Do all their interaction via modem. That can't be a good thing, especially for someone already withdrawn and ignored. So, there's one more aspect of mental health to look at.
Some of these guys are somewhat deserving of the title and some of these guys also seem to be incapable of being treated.

I'll use Elliot Rodger as an example for both. Here was a guy who was very rich, had ties to the entertainment industry, and was not ugly. Yet, he could not get laid. He was in therapy since he was 8 years old and it doesn't seem to have done him much good. He used to comment on YouTube videos of people playing with animals and leave comments like "I want to crush it in my hand and hear it scream"

Sorry, but I do not have a lot of sympathy for him. He seems like a born narcissist, inherently antisocial, and if he was getting laid; I wouldn't be surprised if he was the type of guy who would dump the girl right after and post their naked pictures on Facebook.

Now, some of the other mass shooters do seem to have been angry and depressed and decided to kill a bunch of people before they kill themselves, but some of them are loners for a very good reason.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I'll play along.

What is it that you want to accomplish by lumping mass murders with law abiding gun owners? Do you want to eliminate the gun culture, so you can ban guns? Or try to convince people that all gun owners are bad, by lumping the entire gun culture in with murders, to then ban guns?
I do not want to do any of the things you state. I am simply stating a fact: We have frequent mass shootings of innocent people in the US. Forget criminals shooting each other due to the drug trade---------they are doing us a favor.

We have an epidemic of mental people in this country that suffer from an inferiority complex and this drives them to kill innocents. These mental folks happen to be gun enthusiasts and that is the problem.

Quote:
Being that mass murders make up, I don't know, less than 1/100th of a percent of gun owners, I don't think anyone if going to believe that it's the gun culture that is causing crazy people to kill. Also consider that mass murder victims make up less that 1% of all murder victims, so this is hardly an epidemic destroying our country.
Minimizing mass murder is basically accepting that we are an insane violent society. Unfortunately, mentally ill gun owners cause a lot of harm whereas mentally ill folks that do not own guns cause less harm. It is a very explosive combination that is unique to the US. In other countries mentally ill folks have little access to guns. Only the thugs have guns and they do not use them for massacres.

Quote:
So again, be honest, what is it that you want to accomplish by blaming the gun culture for mass shootings?
The problem is a difficult. A large portion of the US citizens belong to the gun culture because that is part of our national heritage. For these Americans having many guns all over the place feels perfectly normal. Paradoxically they claim they need guns for self defense even though they often live in rural areas where the crime rate is low. And erroneously they say the crime rate is low because everybody has guns. Paradoxically, the liberals who often live in cities with high crime statistics do not have guns.

I don't have any easy solutions: I know quite well one cannot change the cultural heritage of millions of people overnight. I also know the factors causing mental illness and inferiority complex in some gun owners is a complex issue. However, massacres by gun owners are less common in countries that do not have a gun culture.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:23 AM

39 posts, read 29,939 times
trying to take all Guns from Americans is like trying to take all the wine from the French, good luck.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talentlost View Post
trying to take all Guns from Americans is like trying to take all the wine from the French, good luck.

Like trying to ban water....

Remember, It always takes a guy with a gun, to neutralize a guy with a gun.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:51 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Expertise in the gun culture crowd is variable, but nevertheless they belong to the gun culture.
So everyone that drives a car is part of a "car culture"?
Everyone that uses a phone is part of a "phone culture"?
Everyone that brushes their teeth a "tooth brush culture"?

It's a tool

People in the military use firearms
People that hunt use firearms
People that live on farms and ranches use firearms
People that protect banks use firearms
Police use firearms
Some people just punch holes in paper with firearms

Last but not least, criminals can use weapons in crimes, including murder.

Every one of these uses is different, so different in fact they are hardly related

Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I
We have an epidemic of mental people in this country that suffer from an inferiority complex and this drives them to kill innocents. These mental folks happen to be gun enthusiasts and that is the problem.

e.
Uh.

I'm not sure that you can say that these mentally ill people ae necessarily gun enthusiasts just bc they employ theM to carry out their crazy agenda. Were th he 911 guys plane enthusiasts? Of just using the most efficient means available to them to wreak the most havoc?

Old 10-04-2015, 11:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Every time there is a shooting in the US (except Chicago), there is aa call for "new" gun laws.

Can anyone tell me what new gun law would have prevented the Oregon shooting, or any other shooting?
A modest proposal making the rounds - anonymous author.

Make some version of this the law for any male under 45?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:21 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
None.

The fallacy of gun control laws (restated yet again)
  • Criminals break laws by using guns to commit crime. (FACT)
  • So lets create more laws to stop criminals from using guns. (THE BIG FALLACY)

It's pretty simple to understand.

If people ignore the above. And so far everyone has in this topic, then there is only one course of action that would stop the mass shootings.
  • Allow people to carry and holster a gun anywhere.
There is a reason these mass shootings happen in places like schools. Everyone else is prevented from carrying a gun. One armed individual can and will end something like this in short order. But it doesn't happen because of misguided gun laws that treat every gun owner like a criminal.

The results speak for themselves.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:32 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A modest proposal making the rounds - anonymous author.

Make some version of this the law for any male under 45?
That only "makes sense" to a derranged liberal. Every woman who gets an abortion kills someone, a tiny fraction of a percent of legal gun owners kills anyone. To a liberaL apples and oranges are identical if it allows them to pass another law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies