Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:42 PM

218 posts, read 213,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post

No, the point was that instead of going after known criminals (who btw actually use the firearms in their posession for nefarious and ilegal acts); we -the govt. - seem to be going on fishing expeditions for dealers, manufacturers and traffickers instead.
What is wrong with going after dealers, manufacturers and traffickers. Better to stop the sources, then the petty criminals won't have as much access. I can't imagine why you would be against such smart work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,350,728 times
they say it takes a village to raise a child. i think we need to make the whole family responsible for one actions that lives in their household. kid get busted for dope, take mama house, mama car, daddy car. family bank account, sister car.

kid murder someone, let mama serve time too, who family pays. that way the family keeps the kid on the straight and narrow. oh it would never happen and iit be illegal under constitution and other laws. Im just being armchair quarterback so my opinion doesnt matter

Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,915,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
Well then use better examples. You walked yourself right into that one, you are getting very tired! Now let's see. We think that those armed people in the college would have been arrested for saving the lives of 9 innocent people, with law abiding concealed permits in their pockets?

Where did you say you got your military service done? Just wanted to know after insulting a man of my husbands caliber, and doing a poor job of arguing your position.
I didn't insult your husband, I just said that it could be an easy mistake to make. Many of the firearms do closely resemble the real deal... I assure you, I match or exceed your husbands caliber. I don't see where I did a bad job of arguing my point at all. That is merely your perception. Most people who read all of this thread would say otherwise...

Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,022,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Uh, it's a federal law; they are done in all 57 states.
The feds deny a purchase and you think the gun
store should detain the customer for the police?
I'm not sure how common this is, but when I lived in Nevada a 65 year old man went to a gun shop to buy a gun, his background check showed he had a felony so they refused the sale and sent him on his way. Apparently denials make their way to ATF who arrested the guy a few weeks later at his home for 'felon attempting to buy a gun'. It turns out the felony was something stupid, auto theft I think that happened over 45 years ago.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they say it takes a village to raise a child. i think we need to make the whole family responsible for one actions that lives in their household. kid get busted for dope, take mama house, mama car, daddy car. family bank account, sister car.
kid murder someone, let mama serve time too, who family pays. that way the family keeps the kid on the straight and narrow. oh it would never happen and iit be illegal under constitution and other laws. Im just being armchair quarterback so my opinion doesnt matter
I'm sorry but that is really not very well thought out. I have known a number of middle class people who have had one of their kids break the law. The kid was raised right, usually by two parents but broke the law anyway. I would hate to see the parents arrested for that. What then, do they take the other kids out of the home, the family loses their jobs and their home?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Why would the FBI be involved with a state crime, unless that crime was also,a,federal offense. So now we are using the same scenario, and it's the FBI eating the donuts and don't give a Rat's patootie about the lawbreaking felon? Really you need to give this up, you,aren't even close to being able to keep up anymore.

Let's also, while we are at it, believe Barney will figure out there is a shooter armed to the teeth that went the wrong direction. Well, he is most likely to be hiding with everyone else waiting for the swat team. But At the cost of what 30, 40, 50 grand a year of needed school money, saving one child? Perhaps keeping those guns out of the shooters hands would have been the better cost ratio and many more kids saved.
It's not a state crime.. It is a federal offense. Just a little FYI

Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,340,146 times
Quote:
Good info. Why did you leave out the assault weapons ban from I think a decade ago, and the repeal of said law in the current decade?
He probably left it out because it had absolutely nothing to do with the other laws that banned or restricted full auto weapons. You do know the difference, right? Clintons "assault weapon" ban was over 20 years ago and was a complete joke that only banned cosmetic features and has been proven to have had zero impact on crime.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, I am telling you the FBI does nothing to arrest him for attempting to purchase the gun. The gun store salesperson doesn't need to turn him in.. He has already turned himself in to the FBI and the feds let him walk. Yes, all states do the mandatory background checks.
It is not the FBI who arrests people for gun crimes, including prohibited possession, it is the ATF

Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
You said he must have served in the north Vietnam army and couldn't recognize a gun he used daily.

So just asking. How did YOU serve your country, and now I will have to assume you didn't, or you would be proud of it and mention it. Feel free to make me wrong on that account.

As to how well you are responding, you seemed tired as your arguments -and examples were going a little wonky. Just my "perception" of course.
Go back and you will see where I already posted... I served two tours in Vietnam. I was a navy corpsman assigned to the Marine Corp....

Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It is not the FBI who arrests people for gun crimes, including prohibited possession, it is the ATF
Irrespective, it is a federal offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies