Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Because of liberals' feelings. That's why.
Yeah, pretty much.

I'm all for recycling if it's economically viable and/or if there's a REAL benefit to it. But often that's just not the case.

Metals are already recycled on an industrial scale- and that's a good thing. Keeps us from digging up the environment, conserves resources, AND it's less expensive in many cases.

But cardboard? Glass? Seriously?

Nobody is cutting old-growth forests for cardboard. Them there trees are a renewable resource! And glass... is there a sand-shortage that I'm not aware of?

Land-fills are a non-issue. Now that I've lived out west and I'd seen just how VAST the unused land in this country is... we could have ten times our current landfills and it wouldn't make one bit of difference.

I have a recycling container out front of the house. Never asked for one... they just brought it. It's good for throwing away excess boxes... pretty much nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Put costs aside. What I want to know is does recycling cut down on the size and quantity of land fills, and the garbage that we throw out in to the ocean? Is there something that shows that there has been a significant difference in the amount of trash due to us recycling?
Depends on the city really.

In Portland, garbage collection is down about 35% and that's just from going to once a week recycling pickup and every other week garbage pickup. The recycling bins often fill up before the garbage dumpsters.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:34 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Apparently the recycling industry is in trouble, because the economics are just not there. The CEO of Waste Management, the largest waste collection company in the country, is publicly expressing doubts about the future of this movement.

Honestly, I have no ideological objection to recycling. In fact, we are just getting ready to implement this service in the community where I live. But the question remains, why are we doing this and does it really make sense to allocate resources to this kind of an effort, in this way, at this time?

From the New York Times:
So just because a private company like Waste Management isn't making "money" at recycling it's now "costly & inefficient'!

Then let the Government do it!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,747,914 times
I read somewhere that recycling is actually worse for the environment because the processes involved to break down the plastic, paper, and glass pollute more than just making new products.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:45 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,557,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So just because a private company like Waste Management isn't making "money" at recycling it's now "costly & inefficient'!

You are joking, right?

Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,465,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Maybe the people who make the packaging and put the product in it should pay for the ultimate disposal costs associated with it?

Old 10-04-2015, 09:22 PM

19,754 posts, read 10,197,714 times
It was probably started for political purposes. A local at an ethanol plant said that it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than you get when it's burned. It was for the farm vote.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:45 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,458,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've seen it done well in northern Virginia. And I've seen it done poorly in the Front Range of Colorado.

But as I said in some other threads, everything that's good to do doesn't always make a profit.

Before my city changed the regulations about what we can place on the curb for trash pick-up, scrappers used to collect metal bearing items like old car parts, computers, BBQ grills and the like.

Now, people place these same items in with the regular trash and it ends up in a landfill.

So glad the government got involved!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 PM

19,754 posts, read 10,197,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Before my city changed the regulations about what we can place on the curb for trash pick-up, scrappers used to collect metal bearing items like old car parts, computers, BBQ grills and the like.

Now, people place these same items in with the regular trash and it ends up in a landfill.

So glad the government got involved!
In the old days when we had a city dump, a couple of guys made a living hauling scrap metal out of it. When the government got involved, they made it illegal.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,850,888 times
Recycling, like most pro environment action items are about appearing to be green. No one actually cares if they are green or not, they just need to look like they are to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies