Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be background check for gun purchases/ownership?
Yes 53 63.86%
No 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:12 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Private sales do not go through background checks.

That depends. On the state and the manner of transfer.

You missed the part of "illegal to sell to someone not permitted to own firearms" part of private sales.

You also didn't answer the question I asked.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:21 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Between November 30, 1998 and January 2014 there have been;

617,970 background checks due to a felony convictions.

111,648 denials to fugitives from Justice.

107, 072 denials due to convictions for domestic violence,

90,896 due to drug addiction or use of controlled substances

51,010 for state prohibitions.

45,391 due to protective orders or domestic

24,565 due to an indictment

13,316 due to mental health

13,117 unlawful alien

5,656 denied person file

796 dishonorable discharge

59 for renounced citizenship

That's, 1,081,496 denials, how that is considered ineffective is simply beyond me. If the argument is that after these "criminals" attempts to purchase weapons from licensed dealers will get their weapons from somewhere else, where to they get them. Well, when you consider the fact that only 10% to 15% of firearms used in crimes are stolen, clearly the secondary market of gun shows, private dealers and straw purchasers comes front and center. If the "ineffective and unreasonable" requirement for all buyers purchasing weapons from gun shows or private dealers were implemented and reasonable limits on the number of guns purchased during certain time periods, the access of guns to criminals would not be stopped but one hell of a bent in the supply guns in the hands of those who should not have them.
According to NICS data, there were more than 156 Million applications submitted between 1998 and 2012. In other words, that 1 million figure that you are touting as proof that the system works actually proves my point. Less than 6 tenths of one percent of applications from 1998 to 2014. Tell me again how effective that background check process is, please.

Actually, I take back my previous post. Pre employment drug testing is probably more effective than background checks. Therefore, background checks make even less sense than pre employment drug testing from an ROI perspective.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:24 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That depends. On the state and the manner of transfer.

You missed the part of "illegal to sell to someone not permitted to own firearms" part of private sales.

You also didn't answer the question I asked.
What state and manner?

How does a private seller determine if someone is not permitted to own fire arms?

What is your question?

Old 10-04-2015, 04:26 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
No there should not be background checks. Let anyone have a gun I don't care. "I" have a gun. Come at me or mine with a gun and you will find out how good I am with my gun. And I am better than you with a gun. How do I know I am better? Because if you are better than me, we aren't going to be in a gunfight. Two sane, law abiding, considerate people don't treat each other in a way that requires armed intervention.

Look back at our heritage. Did Daniel Boon have a background check? Did Billy the Kid? Did Blackbeard the Pirate or Columbus? Both good and bad people throughout history (well OK Columbus may be suspect...) have always been able to obtain guns without requirements. H#ll, they had CANNON!

Why is it that suddenly in the latter half of the 20th century, basically after WWII it was determined that Americans are not capable or qualified or trusted to have a gun unless they are a cop? (And there's a LOT of bad cops.)

The government should not determine who has a gun or what kind. Anybody should have a gun, any kind they want. If they are crazy, fine. Shoot them and move on.

"He who has the guns, make the rules." Does this sink in to anybody that this is the root reason the govt wants to take our guns away.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
What state and manner?

How does a private seller determine if someone is not permitted to own fire arms?

What is your question?
To transfer a handgun many states require that both ends go through a FFL and Form 4473 check. In MD a person not only has to go through the 4473 but also a background check by the MD State Police.

To buy a long gun from non-adjoining states requires that both ends of the transfer go through the 4473 process.

You don't transfer it to someone you don't know or are certain about.

Whether you thought the individuals in the news stories I linked went through the background check.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:35 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
What state and manner?

What is your question?
In many states private sales still need to go through a background check.

You can always require people in a private sale to show proof they do not have a criminal record. The most common way is to show a concealed carry permit. This in fact is quite common, and is the only way everyone that I know would ever do a private sale.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:

13,117 unlawful alien

5,656 denied person file

That's, 1,081,496 denials, how that is considered ineffective is simply beyond me. If the argument is that after these "criminals" attempts to purchase weapons from licensed dealers will get their weapons from somewhere else, where to they get them. Well, when you consider the fact that only 10% to 15% of firearms used in crimes are stolen, clearly the secondary market of gun shows, private dealers and straw purchasers comes front and center. If the "ineffective and unreasonable" requirement for all buyers purchasing weapons from gun shows or private dealers were implemented and reasonable limits on the number of guns purchased during certain time periods, the access of guns to criminals would not be stopped but one hell of a bent in the supply guns in the hands of those who should not have them.
How many of them have been prosecuted?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Fully Automatic Weapons, given down 3 generations, upon death...

Old 10-04-2015, 05:44 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Fully Automatic Weapons, given down 3 generations, upon death...
Machine Guns for sale. AV Guns - Gun Point USA - POF-USA, LWRC, KRISS

Old 10-04-2015, 05:44 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:

13,117 unlawful alien

5,656 denied person file

False denials are common with the NICS system. How many of these denials were legitimate denials and not record mix ups?

How many criminals do you believe will bring their gun to a dealer to run a background check on them versus simply selling/trading them with each other privately without anyone knowing? Universal background check laws are completely unenforceable. Evil doers don't care if it's illegal to sell each other guns. There are always people willing to be straw purchasers.

And the whole idea that there should be limits to how many guns one can purchase is laughable.

Do you have any proof any of these proposals would actually make us safer? Oregon passed the universal background check law this year and that did nothing to stop the shooting there.

Please cite your sources too as you clearly copied that information from a source without giving it credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies