Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 07:19 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times

Advertisements

So as some of ya'll know- and others will be delighted to find out- I spent quite a few years of my adult life as a Conservative. But even though my mind is now a steaming pile of Librulism, I've always kept a place in my heart for Pat Buchanan. I may not agree with him on much... but he DOES provide what I reckon is a far more honest and practical conservative viewpoint than today's crop of Neocons and Teabillies. Case in point:

Quote:
Buchanan: The Mind Of Mr. Putin

"Do you realize now what you have done?"

So Vladimir Putin in his U.N. address summarized his indictment of a U.S. foreign policy that has produced a series of disasters in the Middle East that we did not need the Russian leader to describe for us.
The Mind of Mr. Putin

I'd encourage any of ya'll to read the whole article. Sums up quite nicely what a disaster our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been (told ya' so)... but more importantly, both Pat and Vlad describe pretty clearly what Cold War II may look like.

Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with points made by a Russian Oligarch and an American Fascist. But here we are. Strange times we're in, and getting stranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 07:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Perhaps it is time to climb down off our ideological high horse and start respecting the vital interests of other sovereign nations, even as we protect and defend our own.
Agreed. Attempting to transform other nations into something they are not is an exercise in absurdity.

[]

Old 10-04-2015, 09:23 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed. Attempting to transform other nations into something they are not is an exercise in absurdity.

[]
Yes, but then there's Japan and Germany....they were transformed and we have a military bases in each to this day. That kind of thing may not be possible in today's world but, I wouldn't call it absurd.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Yes, but then there's Japan and Germany....they were transformed and we have a military bases in each to this day. That kind of thing may not be possible in today's world but, I wouldn't call it absurd.
Obviously not. And if it's not absurd then it is stupid.

[on every level]

Old 10-04-2015, 09:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Pat Buchanan would be my Secretary of State. His book "A Republic, Not an Empire" should be required reading. We need to return to a paleo conservative foreign policy.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Japan and Germany did not have the internal conflicts among different groups like exist in the ME.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Both were led basically by one man. Defeat them and the idea dies with them.

With the Middle East you are talking a way of life for centuries.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
So as some of ya'll know- and others will be delighted to find out- I spent quite a few years of my adult life as a Conservative. But even though my mind is now a steaming pile of Librulism, I've always kept a place in my heart for Pat Buchanan. I may not agree with him on much... but he DOES provide what I reckon is a far more honest and practical conservative viewpoint than today's crop of Neocons and Teabillies. Case in point:

The Mind of Mr. Putin

I'd encourage any of ya'll to read the whole article. Sums up quite nicely what a disaster our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been (told ya' so)... but more importantly, both Pat and Vlad describe pretty clearly what Cold War II may look like.

Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with points made by a Russian Oligarch and an American Fascist. But here we are. Strange times we're in, and getting stranger.
I call BS on your assertion. No one would hold a place in their heart or actually respect someone they turned around and called an American fascist.
I doubt you were ever even a conservative based on the way you phrase things.

On a side note, love or revile him, Pat Buchanan is one of the smartest guys around, with a keen sense of history and foreign affairs. He is honest and straight forward. Thus by not being PC and telling it like he believes, he has been unfairly been demonized by the liberal press to the point many ignorant fools think he is a ____ist.

`

Old 10-04-2015, 10:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I call BS on your assertion. No one would hold a place in their heart or actually respect someone they turned around and called an American fascist.
I doubt you were ever even a conservative based on the way you phrase things.
I never understood why people do this either because its irrelevant, no one believes them and it only distracts from any argument you might have.

Quote:
On a side note, love or revile him, Pat Buchanan is one of the smartest guys around, with a keen sense of history and foreign affairs. He is honest and straight forward. Thus by not being PC and telling it like he believes, he has been unfairly been demonized by the liberal press to the point many ignorant fools think he is a ____ist.

`
He is all of that but it doesn't take a smart guy to know that butting in where you have no business isn't going to end well.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:20 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
We planted the seed of democracy with the blood of our sons and daughters it is to bad Obama is such a bad farmer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies