Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:53 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
In my hometown, Washing D.C, elderly black people swell with pride when talking about old D.C, braggin' like it was the pinnacle of civilization before integration.

"You couldn't walk down U street without a suit and tie on."

Ask any early Howard University or Dunbar Highschool graduate.
I care more about freedom above all else. I'll take these current days over those days.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
I think Black America in some ways is still adjusting to integration especially when it comes to black economics.

For example here's what I think caused a decrease in black businesses. In many black people's minds starting maybe around the late 60's-early 70's there became less of a necessity for blacks to own businesses like we did during segregation. During segregation it was necessary for blacks to have a black owned this and a black owned that because blacks had fewer options for where to shop,eat,work etc. When integration started in the 60's the necessity of having to have black owned things became less. So there became a de-emphasis with blacks as a group to own businesses like we did during segregation.

Today when I look at Black-America I think one of our issues is that we are still adjusting to integration. What we haven't sorted out is how much of our job opportunities need to come from black businesses? How much needs to come from white businesses? How much of our job opportunities need to come from gov't jobs? How much of our money needs to be spent with black businesses? I think blacks still haven't sorted out these questions since integration came and this I think explains some of our problems with business ownership,jobs and black business support.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:32 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,083 times
.......when the time comes which will be sooner than later in the span of life, that the antebellum minded boomers and their first generation of boomer offspring generation die out, the faster the world can and will move forward... hopefully they don't infect another whole generation before their time is up.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:06 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I think Black America in some ways is still adjusting to integration especially when it comes to black economics.

For example here's what I think caused a decrease in black businesses. In many black people's minds starting maybe around the late 60's-early 70's there became less of a necessity for blacks to own businesses like we did during segregation. During segregation it was necessary for blacks to have a black owned this and a black owned that because blacks had fewer options for where to shop,eat,work etc. When integration started in the 60's the necessity of having to have black owned things became less. So there became a de-emphasis with blacks as a group to own businesses like we did during segregation.

Today when I look at Black-America I think one of our issues is that we are still adjusting to integration. What we haven't sorted out is how much of our job opportunities need to come from black businesses? How much needs to come from white businesses? How much of our job opportunities need to come from gov't jobs? How much of our money needs to be spent with black businesses? I think blacks still haven't sorted out these questions since integration came and this I think explains some of our problems with business ownership,jobs and black business support.
Your theory seems plausible on the surface, but the more likely reason that Blacks don't start businesses as often as others is that Blacks tend to be poor savers and investors and also have poor credit ratings. Those are prerequisites to starting a successful business.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Your theory seems plausible on the surface, but the more likely reason that Blacks don't start businesses as often as others is that Blacks tend to be poor savers and investors and also have poor credit ratings. Those are prerequisites to starting a successful business.
No, it's not that simple, but the issue isn't as serious as integration, either. There is also a significant regional issue at work as well.

When considering the changes in the so-called "black community," integration is not the only significant factor. The change from a culture that was majority southern and rural in the 30s and 40s to one that had become mostly urban and industrially depending in the 60s and 70s had a significant factor at least as significant as integration.

In addition to those were the same factors affecting white society, except that they would affect the black culture even more greatly because the black culture was less resilient (and that lack of resilience was because of Jim Crow racism). Those included radical feminism, the Vietnam War, the onslaught of crack cocaine, and the loss of control of our own image.

Now, with regard to the move from the rural south to the urban north, it's very true that southern blacks were far more apt to start there own businesses. That was a matter of necessity both in the fact that many small businesses did not cater to blacks (restaurants, barber and beauty shops, mortuaries, taxi companies, bars, and such). But the south in general had a small business mentality among both blacks and whites that was not as prevalent in the north among either whites or blacks (except among fairly recent immigrants).

The blacks who moved to the north during the Great Northern Migration were moving to take factory jobs, not to start their own businesses. They either lost the entrepreneurial spirit of blacks in the south, or the blacks who moved north were the ones who simply lacked that entrepreneurial spirit.

A less recognized factor was the loss of control of our own image among our own people in the 70s. Until then, we could teach our children what we were and who we were supposed to be. We gave that up in the 70s to television and the movies, which gave us the "Huggy Bear" image. Even the Last Poets gave way to "gangster rap."

Notably, black culture had produced innovative new musical idioms every ten years for nearly a century...until gangster rap. We haven't produced a new musical idiom since then. And that is symbolic.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
.......when the time comes which will be sooner than later in the span of life, that the antebellum minded boomers and their first generation of boomer offspring generation die out, the faster the world can and will move forward... hopefully they don't infect another whole generation before their time is up.
The first decade of the Boomer Generation--children born between 1945 and 1955--were raised to adulthood in the Jim Crow years. They were steeped in apartheid throughout their formative years. The second decade of the Boomer Generation was raised in apartheid until we were nearly out of school--I was in the 7th grade myself before I even knew a white kid by name. When I first started dating, interracial marriage was still illegal in 16 states, including my own. The third decade of the Boomer Generation was born at the time Jim Crow was ruled dead...but still got well into school before integration became a fact of their lives of most of them.

If you think of who are the "race baiters" today, whites and blacks will have a different list of people, but I'd bet big money that both lists will have Boomer Generation pundits at their tops, people like Rush Limbaugh, Al Sharpton, Bill O'Reilly, and Louis Farrakhan...Baby Boomers. Segregation is what Baby Boomers were raised in, and that's what--deep in our hearts of hearts--what we as a generation are still most comfortable with.

The fact is that Baby Boomers are still firmly in control of the country. We still control the media, industry, and politics, and our deep motivations still predominate our actions. We created the policies and framework that America still operates within.

Yes, it will be necessary for the last generation that was raised in Jim Crow to die off.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:32 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,083 times
The Boomer generation was and is among the worst of America when it comes to economics and all other things related to their sense and aims within their greed and avarice, They will sell off anything, they have no sense of Economic Industrial Legacy. They over-leverage companies, until they crash and burn. they have been teaching Boomer Ideology in the University system for a very long time, and until there is a generation which comes that is not rooted in the Boomer Ideology American will continue to struggle, economically and socially. if you note, when the economy is bad, racism is heightened in its out-lash in every direction. But when they are flush with money, only the sense of bigotry puts on the pretense of shallow support of equality.

People forget too easily, these are the people it took the force of Federal Law for them to act civil in the public as it relates to race, but it has not fixed the inner minds to grow and move beyond the bigotry, and the continual twist and slants of "put down commentary", as a tool; along with all that comes within that ideological mindset.

It will take many more years to remove antebellum mentality from congress, and it may take longer to remove it from the grooming many received from the Ivy League ideology of the so called "blue blood money hog mentality".

They are the least group who should ever speak about fiscal responsibility.

Quote:
Yes, it will be necessary for the last generation that was raised in Jim Crow to die off.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

I don't know if I would call it "adjusting" to integration. For Blacks who were not born during the segregation era, many seem to do fine.

As for Black-owned businesses, there has been a rapid growth of Black owned businesses.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...repreneurship/
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...p/cb11-24.html
African American-Owned Firms Increased by 61 Percent | MBDA Web Portal
https://www.census.gov/econ/sbo/getsof.html?07black

One thing to consider is what kinds of businesses are being opened, where they are being opened, and by whom. And as you mentioned, what kinds of job opportunities come from such businesses.

This can be said. Back in the old days, events like the Tulsa Greenwood riot, and Rosewood, this stuff happened. Black owned businesses during Jim Crow days could be subjected to this. During the Tulsa riot, a Black man was told to hand over his gun, something that man could use to defend himself. Nowadays, if I start a business, I have nothing to worry about. I will say this. If a part of town has alot of violent crime, I will be very apprehensive about starting a business there. Black people today can start businesses with little to know fear. You need a plan, the resources, and an understanding of your clientele.

If anything, now, today, more than ever, is a good time for a Black man to start a business. There are more Blacks in the professional ranks than ever, more Blacks getting college degrees than ever, more Blacks in the middle class than in the 1960s.

What is getting alot of attention is the underclass. There has always been an underclass. However, this is what I've noticed. It seems like with a rise in the number of Black middle class people, the underclass stands out even more. It gets more attention.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
People forget too easily, these are the people it took the force of Federal Law for them to act civil in the public as it relates to race, but it has not fixed the inner minds to grow and move beyond the bigotry, and the continual twist and slants of "put down commentary", as a tool; along with all that comes within that ideological mindset.
Eisenhower once said that laws cannot change the heart of a man.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
After watching this video, what are your overall thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Pw0lR3_Xg
Her modern perspective ignores the reality of American from 1865-1955, a period of separation and unequal. Had Black leaders pushed for equality without integration, there would have been no mechanism to get Whites to transfer wealth. Whites wanted that separation while Blacks wanted the materials gains from integration.

If Blacks had aggressively campaigned for separation paid for my Whites, White American would have imported foreign labor and left Blacks high, dry, and either ignored or forcefully pushed aside.

i think decades of being denied rights and access made the problems of integration all but inevitable. While it is easy to map out a three generation integration plan that would have made integration immediately enrichening to Black America, once the flood gates are open, no one would have accepted the rationale and rationalism of gradualism. in the end the distribution of 10% doing well, 10-30 doing decently and an underclass of upwards of 60% all but a fait accompli not unlike small underdeveloped nations being overwhelmed by trade with a superpower.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies