Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,645,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They are aggressive about getting the money back.
As they should be aggressive about getting paid back. There was no verbiage within the contract that said the money is being "given" to them. It's a loan.

Going to college is an investment but with the high costs is it a good investment? How many years of working at $x dollars post taxes would you have to work after taxes to pay for that education? Do the numbers.

Go to school to work for someone else (corporate slave). If you do better and make more money then you are also a government slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 AM

50,137 posts, read 46,774,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Yet, another defender of crony capitalism. The computers are financed by student loans.

Northeastern University president Joseph Aoun's $3.1 million pay package ranks in Top 10 nationally | masslive.com

So called educators in these universities are now getting the same pay as high end CEOs. What is wrong with this picture? This has nothing to do with the free market or education. This is simply a gravy train financed by student loans.
I'm afraid you have zero knowledge on this. I never paid for a computer with a student loan. I've paid for a lot of them with my taxes though. Most teachers make between 40-80 thousand a year salary and maybe another third of that for teaching at a college. Tenured with all certs and degrees rarely tops 150K total comp even after 20 years.

Maybe you could become a teacher.

Professor - Mathematics Salary | Salary.com

Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,302,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm afraid you have zero knowledge on this. I never paid for a computer with a student loan. I've paid for a lot of them with my taxes though. Most teachers make between 40-80 thousand a year salary and maybe another third of that for teaching at a college. Tenured with all certs and degrees rarely tops 150K total comp even after 20 years.

Maybe you could become a teacher.

Professor - Mathematics Salary | Salary.com
You misunderstood my post. Part of the school's income is the student loan system and that is how they pay for the computers in the classrooms. Obviously you never had a kid in college.

If you get a Stafford loan the money goes straight to the school registrar. If there is any leftover the student may get a check from the school. It is a great way for the schools to get money and it is transparent to the students.

The salaries of some school presidents are through the roof whereas the actual professors make very little.

I would love to teach, but the pay is incredibly low.

Last edited by Julian658; 10-06-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 12:19 PM

50,137 posts, read 46,774,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You misunderstood my post. Part of the school's income is the student loan system and that is how they pay for the computers in the classrooms. Obviously you never had a kid in college.

If you get a Stafford loan the money goes straight to the school registrar. If there is any leftover the student may get a check form the school. It is a great way for the schools to get money and it is transparent to the students.

The salaries of some school presidents are through the roof whereas the actual professors make very little.

I would love to teach, but the pay is incredibly low.
Well, you wrote it that way.

Anyway, many Colleges are very affordable. Our local one, soon to be a 4 yr school is only about 2500 a year. That's a whopping 10 grand for a 4 year degree. You gotta pay to play for the big name schools.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,302,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, you wrote it that way.

Anyway, many Colleges are very affordable. Our local one, soon to be a 4 yr school is only about 2500 a year. That's a whopping 10 grand for a 4 year degree. You gotta pay to play for the big name schools.
I agree!

Old 10-06-2015, 01:21 PM

25,756 posts, read 21,911,331 times
Not everyone pays back. I think loans should only be given for degrees that will have a useful value since so many get useless degrees, can't find a job and don't pay back their loans at which it does come off as in a class with welfare.

My son, my husband and myself all paid back our loans in full. I expect everyone else to do the same.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,395,888 times
They are actually a tax on poor people.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,553,446 times
If the system is broken, we allowed it to become that way, due to "Greed." Its not an "Educational" System anymore. Its a Business, with huge income, based on a lie. They are selling the idea that without a College Education, your not going to get anywhere in life. The reality is that our Colleges are taking in more Money than any other in the World, and turning out Students that rank low on an International Scale. Our Local University is buying up every property that comes up for sale adjoin it, and building like there is no Tomorrow, so it can pile in more and more Students, while the economy that gives them Jobs is crawling. Its all about Money, and nothing else.

Somewhere in time, we will realize that the class of people that are paying for everything are running out of Money, and having a problem making enough to live off of themselves. The Government thinks that the Middle Class working guy has endless pockets, and Tax Dollars are forever, to fund them, every illegal that comes here, every poor Nation that needs money, every Nation that we want to appease, Every Nation we want to Arm, and for all the Wars they start. As if that's not bad enough, Wall Street is ripping off their share, with speculators juggling oil prices, and gas prices, Inflating food prices and other commodities, by making their fortunes and passing the cost right back to us.

Meanwhile, you have all these folks yelling that "Capitalism" works, and is the only way to run a Country, while these same folks are "Bleeding" it to Death, from their "Gated Homes" and saying they are paying their fair share also, by passing off the cost to the rest of use.

Hope I am around when the People finally say "Enough" and really take back their Country.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,074,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You keep ignoring the facts and focusing on a small period of time where rates were relatively cheap. Look at median income and tuition for a reasonable period of time. I suggested the 1500s-2000s, but you can go even further back to gather more data.
That makes twice you've said "1500s-2000s." The first time I chalked it up to a typo. The second time makes me question your ability to discuss this topic coherently.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:53 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That makes twice you've said "1500s-2000s." The first time I chalked it up to a typo. The second time makes me question your ability to discuss this topic coherently.
He always does that, as if college costs in the 1500s have any relevance at all to today.

He just wants to make a technically correct statement to show us all how smart he is, even though it's utterly worthless because it's completely divorced from all relevant context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies