Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
What business is it of yours? I don't NEED more than 1 car either, but I enjoy cars, and I'll buy as many cars as I please. If you don't like it, too freaking bad. Do you have more than 1 TV? Why? You can't watch more than 1 TV at a time (Elvis Presley excluded). Get rid of your extra TV, you contributor to global warming, you.

You don't get to tell people what they can have or how they can live their life. I find it comical that typically the same people that champion "rights for all" are the first to try to take away the rights of others that they don't like. Smoking, guns, vehicles with low fuel mileage, etc.
Haha, yep. Last time I checked, the constitution was about the RIGHTS of the people, not the NEEDS.

Why does anyone "need" a second glass of alcohol? Let's appeal that 21st amendment, stat! It totally worked out great last time.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
No, no, no …

You don't *get*it* …

"There is NO way to prevent gun violence …" (according to this thread) ...
This, my friend, is true. And the price you pay to live in a free society. Compare that to a place that is not free, where there is no gun violence, no freedom of speech, no right to own property.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
It doesn't work that way. If someone else brings up stats about violence in the US vs other countries, it's fair game for me to respond.

Sorry if those pesky facts like the failed gun ban in Australia isn't convenient to your agenda.

And I'm not disputing the statistics, go back and re-read my posts. RIF
Like trying to have a discussion with a kitchen table.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
We have gun laws. And yet gun deaths still occur.

What more gun laws do you want, then? Be specific.
(1) Mental health status exam when applying to purchase any gun …

(2) Minimum 90 day waiting period to take possession …

(3) Another mental health status exam at time of transfer …

(4) NO private unregulated transfer of possession of any guns, including within families, without the above processes …

(5) Maximum of five shot capacity magazines in privately owned guns …

(6) ALL guns kept unloaded in gun safe, trigger locked, with ammo stored separately under lock and key …

Those would be a start ...

Old 10-08-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
translation: following these mass shootings, the Gun Nuts -- predictably, as ever -- "circle the wagons" and become very very very defensive ...
And the "Nut" part grows more and more desperate, edging closer to insanity. Which is Reason #1 they want to make sure crazy people can still buy firearms. Most of them, underneath, really do know they're talking about themselves.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Like trying to have a discussion with a kitchen table.
Oh crap, I've been replying to someone that talks to tables?? I'm going to back away slowly now... you're a nice person and everything you say is 100% true.

(please don't stab me)

Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:

(4) NO private unregulated transfer of possession of any guns, including within families, without the above processes …

(6) ALL guns kept unloaded in gun safe, trigger locked, with ammo stored separately under lock and key …

1. So who decides the status of someone's mental health? And what would be the level of status that would prohibit gun ownership? What mental issues would prohibit gun ownership. I said be specific.

2. I don't agree or disagree with this, but it would NOT have stopped any of the recent mass killings.

3. See #1

4. See #1

5. How are you going to remove guns that have that capacity now? Confiscation? There's also that "shall not be infringed" clause. Why 5 shot? Why not 4, or 6, or 10? The number is not based on anything in particular, and is therefore arbitrary (based on "feelings")

6. This would not have stopped any of the recent mass killings. It would result in the deaths of citizens that were unable to defend themselves in their own homes. And do you mean all the time? Never to come out? Or can folks take them out to use them? Woops, there's that old "would not have stopped the recent mass killings again. And lastly, how will you know if someone is keeping them under lock and key? Home checks? Video surveillance in every home?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much all i see going on too. Very unfortunate. Tough to reason with unreasonable people.
I'd go as far as saying impossible. Which is why I'm still wondering why I bothered with this thread at all. Gun debates are always such a colossal waste of time.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Banning specific firearms is not going to reduce violence, it would likely have the opposite effect.
Cite your source for that claim.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:25 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Quote:

LOL. Would ANY of those have prevented any mass shooting in the last 10 years? That trigger lock sure is going to stymie someone who has it in their mind to commit a crime.

And are you going to criminalize behavior that doesn't fall within these guidelines? So you're going to throw grandpa in prison for giving his grandson the family shotgun? You're going to throw someone in prison for having a 6 round magazine (an arbitrarily chosen number)? You're going to increase the prison population in this country for these offenses, a country that has the highest incarceration rate of any country on Earth?

GJGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies