Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support mandatory seat belt laws?
Yes 84 49.12%
No 71 41.52%
Unsure 3 1.75%
Yes, but only as a secondary reason for a stop 13 7.60%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have a different take on this. It can be enforced largely through insurance contracts with police reporting (no moving violation or fine, but a 'stoppable' infraction which can be reported to the driver's insurer.

Insurance contracts today often are based on requiring drivers wear seat belts. Not sure but I imagine some insurers won't cover an at-fault driver who didn't belt up.

drivers should have the option to wear belts and pay lower rates, or not wear belts and pay higher rates
You need to take it one step further. If you don't wear a seat belt (or motorcycle helmet), there will be NO government assistant of ANY KIND for your medical care. EVER.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:12 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Mandating seatbelts is a money maker and nothing else. If these laws were created because they are worried about peoples safety then motorcycles would be banned, cigarettes would be outlawed, etc... They pick their poison because its easy to spot someone not wearing a seatbelt. If seatbelts were such a safety concern they would place a warning label on the dashboard like they do on a pack of cigarettes. Honestly its no concern of mine if someone crashes while not wearing a seatbelt and dies...they are adults and can choose what safety precautions they take. When you don't put your seatbelt on you are fully aware of what may happen if you get into an accident without it on. Let us be adults. I live in NH wear it is not required to wear a seatbelt, but I still do. NH also has some of the cheapest car insurance ive ever had too and its not even required to have that.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:46 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
It doesn't go against anything. You go into a government building you follow the rules. You use government infrastructure, you may have rules. This includes safety (car, seatbelt) gas mileage, or pollution.

you have no right to use government owned infrastructure. It isn't protected anywhere. You are confused.

If you are driving on a private road (not a state road) you are free to not wear whatever you want.

and your "test of reason" makes no sense. Car Fatalities dropped significantly when seat belts were introduced and even further when laws went into impact. There is no reason NOT to wear a seat belt. its the easiest way without any inconvenience to protect your life while driving.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/seatbeltbrief/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Starting this thread to see how people feel about the current seat belt laws. In the past, public opinion has been pretty close on the issue. With the police corruption being brought to light and other abuses of power, do you still support seat belt laws??

IMO they go against what this country was founded on and do not hold up to the test of reason when it comes to other road hazards (motorcycles, school buses with no seat belts, etc).

I feel that it is mainly a revenue collector and that people mostly make a decision to buckle up because of safety, not because of the law.

Do you feel that not wearing a seat belt should be reason for a Police officer to stop and fine you?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:50 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
If seatbelts were such a safety concern they would place a warning label on the dashboard like they do on a pack of cigarettes
You do know there are warning chimes that alert you to a seat belt not being on? its a warning light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Honestly its no concern of mine if someone crashes while not wearing a seatbelt and dies...they are adults and can choose what safety precautions they take. When you don't put your seatbelt on you are fully aware of what may happen if you get into an accident without it on. Let us be adults. I live in NH wear it is not required to wear a seatbelt, but I still do. NH also has some of the cheapest car insurance ive ever had too and its not even required to have that.
God it should be. I mean the cost of lives as far as healthcare, trauma, etc. . .impacts you.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
I'm mixed, leaning towards not being in support.

I wear a seatbelt. I feel it's good for safety and may prevent a head injury or worse.

Decades ago my wife was t-boned at an intersection with our two then young children in the car (they were not injured). The car hit square on the drivers side door. My wife broke 4 ribs and her collarbone on her left side from the impact. She was not wearing her seatbelt. We were told by the police and various medical people that not wearing her seatbelt saved her life, because on impact she was pushed into the drivers side area. The door was crushed in to 1/2 the steering wheel. If she was wearing a seatbelt at the time most say she probably would have been seriously injured (way more than what she sustained), and possibly dead.

That's one reason I do not support these laws. Wearing or not wearing a belt does no harm to others. I realize that those laws making more people wear belts reduces impact to insurance company payouts for injuries, higher payouts which would affect my rates. So for that they help. But aside from that tidbit, I don't like the fact government can impose it's will into my personal life for something that physically does absolutely no harm to others.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You do know there are warning chimes that alert you to a seat belt not being on? its a warning light.

God it should be. I mean the cost of lives as far as healthcare, trauma, etc. . .impacts you.
Again, I live in NH where everything is a choice and we still have the cheapest car insurance of anywhere ive lived. We all pay healthcare so as bad as it sounds I really don't care. Its no different than if someone is playing Russian roulette in the comfort of their own home, its none of my concern if they have a death wish, I see it as population control. Its like being the nosy neighbor... just let people be.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 1,959 times
In response to ChrisFromChicago. Your CDC link for 2009, where 33,000 people were killed & more than half were not restrained. 2.2 million were injured. It does not mention while restrained or not.

According to the NHTSA for 2009: 13,095 deaths & 1.2 million injuries. Again, injuries does not mention while restrained or not.

Another NHTSA statistic for 2009: 10,190 deaths while restrained & 11,545 deaths without restraints.

Notice the inconsistencies in the stats?

NHTSA statistic for 2013: 9,777 deaths while restrained & 9,580 without restraints.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 1,959 times
'Government is the servant and not the master of the people'.

If, this were true; then, their would not be a seat belt law that is wasting billion of dollars on useless propaganda. Their would not be a discussion on 'To wear a seat belt' or 'To not wear a seat belt'.

Did anyone know that New Jersey is the most corrupt state nationwide? There is definitely no government representation in this state. Be careful when entering, you may receive a 'Just because you do not fit the profile' summons. If, you know Chris Christie; then, you will be alright. lol

Old 12-18-2015, 07:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I was wearing seat belts before it was required to use them. A many years ago I was rear ended and pushed under a vehicle. If I and my wife were not wearing seat belts both of us would have received serious face/head injuries from hitting the windshield.
And btw- why does NASCAR require 5 point belts anyway?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:36 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Born View Post
'Government is the servant and not the master of the people'.

If, this were true; then, their would not be a seat belt law that is wasting billion of dollars on useless propaganda. Their would not be a discussion on 'To wear a seat belt' or 'To not wear a seat belt'.

Did anyone know that New Jersey is the most corrupt state nationwide? There is definitely no government representation in this state. Be careful when entering, you may receive a 'Just because you do not fit the profile' summons. If, you know Chris Christie; then, you will be alright. lol
I guess government is trying to protect stupid people. Shame on them right. But if you don't have insurance, get into an accident and thrown from the car because you weren't wearing a seat belt.....guess who pays for your care. Wearing a seat belt is common sense to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies