Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's very difficult for Obama to go anyplace without the RWNJ's complaining about something.

I think he should be heading to SC instead where the people need Govt. help.

Natural disasters seem to bring out some compassion among all people, a few people getting gunned down not so much.
I don't even see a point in that. It's a farce when Presidents and Governors (sometimes together, hugging) tour the disaster sites, nodding their heads as if they have anything to do with the situation. These visits from politicians are superficial window dressing. All they are doing is diverting resources away from the recovery that end up having to be used for security and tour logistics. Sign the emergency declaration, approve the funds (if applicable) and stay the hell out of the way.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:12 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
It does not seem as if the locals are interested in changing anything about their lives that would help reduce the chances of this happening again to them or to others in America. In short, they don't seem interested in taking a leadership position for changes that might stem from this awful tragedy.
If BO has this attitude I wouldn't want him there, either.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
No, it's a "political" statement so he shouldn't bother.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:20 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
As president of the US he has a lot on his plate; I'm not sure I want him wasting his time if no one has any intention of initiating any changes after this incident. Does his job description include "hand holder in chief?"
I don't believe it is his job to tell Oregon's citizens that they need to adopt views that agree with his.

BO did visit Newtown for the memorial service the Sunday after Sandy Hook. I didn't have an issue with him being there. I do wish he'd skipped his speech to the Connecticut state House and Senate.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:36 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Is there any point in the president going there this Friday? Besides all the usual hand holding and candle gazing, what else is there to be accomplished there? It does not seem as if the locals are interested in changing anything about their lives that would help reduce the chances of this happening again to them or to others in America. In short, they don't seem interested in taking a leadership position for changes that might stem from this awful tragedy.
As president of the US he has a lot on his plate; I'm not sure I want him wasting his time if no one has any intention of initiating any changes after this incident. Does his job description include "hand holder in chief?"

Chicago/shower/second/ladder/cars/safety/NRA/illegal/mental/gun/guns/health/Republican/Democrat
Better than a Katrina flyover I suppose..

Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
The President is a politician and I expect them from whatever party to push their issues. They're spokespeople, that's what they do. That's much of what the CEO or president of any organization does, push the interests of the organization as they see them.

President Obama sees the Umpqua event as a link in a chain of problems and much of that problem is political.

You know, there was once a day when people said "building fires happen, workers will die in them, nothing we can do." Then the Triangle Shirtwaist fire happened, and people used that event to spur legislate the basis of the fire codes we have today. Fire codes have saved a lot of lives since then, although sometimes tragic fires still occur, they occur a lot less and the collateral damage is less.

I don't agree with everything President Obama said regarding the gun control issue, but I do think something needs to be done to curb these school shootings. At least he is trying to do something, anything, rather than throw up his hands say "stuff happens."

So I for one am glad the President is taking point on the issue, even though I don't agree with him completely, especially with his invocation of the UK and Australia. However, someone needs to speak for the victims here and point out that this was not an accident. They died for no good reason; because we can't face up as a country to a complex problem that involves mental health, guns, social isolation, school security, etc...

I'm from Oregon and this was a shock to the whole state. I'm glad the President cares enough to come. The fact that there are some good-ol'-boys down in Douglas county who are still upset about the spotted owl and probably blame it for the shooting is not my concern, nor should it be the President's.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:34 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Photo opportunity.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:52 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Isn't BO the POTUS of ALL Americans?? Not just those who hold their guns to their chest..nor those who hate him for whatever reasons..

He will go and visit the victims ( both families of those killed and those who survived) ..show a sign of respect & wishes for recovery!! Don't these people deserve that??

Just because BO policy wise wants to protect innocents from such reoccurring carnage..and the Political hatred shown by some..does NOT mean he doesn't Re-A-lly care about them and seeking Political points. He does it as it is something expected by their County's leader..key point Expected!!

Just because there is a local Sheriff who hates BO's agenda in gun regulatory..and some outspoken local councillor speaks out..should never derail that EXPECTATION which POTUS needs to attend to!!

I'm sure he would love to visit South Carolina right now..but his security detail would only get in the way of South Carolina's efforts to secure and keep safe the victims of this Flood caused by nature..He can do it ( following his response to Governor's request for Federal Assistance) when things settle down..Right now..Federal, State and Local agencies are working hard to deal with the direct affects now..AFTER..when things get better and recovery is moving forwards is soon enough to go there and do his POTUS expected visit! A 1000 year event should not be dissed by the Country's leader..so will no doubt happen!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Obama should not go to Roseburg, it wouldn't do anything but rile up the right wing.

Douglas county is like the Appalachians they don't take kindly even implin' to em what they can do with thar trees and guns.

They hate Oregon, they want to be part of their own state called Jefferson. That way when drought hits they can tell the feds to shove off so they can drain Crater Lake to feed their cattle and cut down all the trees they can possibly sell to China.

Obama should just do nothing for the last year and enjoy his money. Maybe have some slam poetry parties with Kanye and Common or something. Perhaps he could go take a long vacation in Hawaii and play golf.

I'm tired of hearing about the UCC shooting. The reason people commit atrocities is so they leave their mark on society. I agree with Sheriff Hanlin, pretend like nothing happened, mourn the victims but stop bringing attention to the shooter.

Think about it, most Americans can name at least 5 or 6 mass murderers off the top of their heads and that is just what they wanted. Jared Loughner- Tucson, James Holmes- Aurora, Adam Lanza-Sandy Hook, and now Harper-Mercer, Roseburg. Everytime I watch news coverage of things like this the song Vicarious by tool plays in my head.

"Vicarious-Tool"

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavour
It happens to be like;
Killed by the husband
Drowned by the ocean
Shot by his own son
She used the poison in his tea
And kissed him goodbye
That's my kind of story
It's no fun 'til someone dies

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie
While the mother
Holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky crying
Why, oh why?
'cause I need to watch things die
From a good safe distance

Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies
You all need it too, don't lie

Why can't we just admit it?

Yes Manyard, it would be nice if we could just admit it. Obama is just adding to the legitimization of the shooters actions as it being an important event. There are some socially marginalized teens somewhere day dreaming about attracting the same attention.

already did

Old 10-07-2015, 10:47 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
No. Because he's worthless as a leader. He needs to step down and let Biden take over. At least he's pro gun. "Just take a shotgun and fire a round into the ceiling!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies