Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:33 PM

109 posts, read 68,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, because learning about other religions is exactly the same thing as brow-beating small children for the beliefs of their parents.
Would you be OK with students learning about Christianity in public schools or is only Islam acceptable?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
As well they should create an uproar if the 10 Commandments are posted in a public school. People of any religion are free to teach whatever they want in private schools. If you feel the need to base your education on a particular religious dogma, then go seek one of those schools out and leave the rest of us out of it.
bolded for emphasis
Oddly enough I've posted this to you on other issues while rebutting your posts. Practice what you preach.

No one should use force and coercion to get what they want. That includes government.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
History classes must cover the major organized religions because of their importance in history. But there should be no organized prayers or preferential treatment for people of any particular religion in a public school. There's a reason the founders created freedom of religion here. Start with the Salem Witch Trials.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
bolded for emphasis
Oddly enough I've posted this to you on other issues while rebutting your posts. Practice what you preach.

No one should use force and coercion to get what they want. That includes government.
Yes and publicly funded schools should not force religion, any religion, on the students.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:35 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
There's a long thread here on C-D that talks about how persecuted Christians are in this country. How about when it's the Christians doing the persecuting?

In a public school in Georgia, a kindergarten and first grade teacher pushed their religious beliefs on the students, leading prayer sessions every day in class. When several parents complained, these teachers then proceeded to ostracize their children, separating them from the class, and even telling one child that he shouldn't listen to his mother because she was “a bad person for not believing in God.”

A civil rights group complained to the school district last year, but the teachers continued unabated until the FFRF filed a lawsuit. The civil rights group won in court and the school district was forced to tell the teachers to stop.

Georgia school pays up after teacher tells first-grader his mom is ‘bad’ because she doesn’t believe in God

Persecuting five and six year olds for the beliefs of their parents. How very Christian.
Murdering their parents and selling them as child-brides would be more aptly described as "persecution".

Kinda like how my dad made me mow the lawn once would be offensive to describe myself as a "former slave".

But hey, fly that bigotry flag high there...be proud of what you are.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Murdering their parents and selling them as child-brides would be more aptly described as "persecution".

Kinda like how my dad made me mow the lawn once would be offensive to describe myself as a "former slave".

But hey, fly that bigotry flag high there...be proud of what you are.
So you see nothing wrong with what that teacher did?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
There's a long thread here on C-D that talks about how persecuted Christians are in this country. How about when it's the Christians doing the persecuting?

In a public school in Georgia, a kindergarten and first grade teacher pushed their religious beliefs on the students, leading prayer sessions every day in class. When several parents complained, these teachers then proceeded to ostracize their children, separating them from the class, and even telling one child that he shouldn't listen to his mother because she was “a bad person for not believing in God.”

A civil rights group complained to the school district last year, but the teachers continued unabated until the FFRF filed a lawsuit. The civil rights group won in court and the school district was forced to tell the teachers to stop.

Georgia school pays up after teacher tells first-grader his mom is ‘bad’ because she doesn’t believe in God

Persecuting five and six year olds for the beliefs of their parents. How very Christian.

at least the parents wont be stoned to death like in Islam

Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yes and publicly funded schools should not force religion, any religion, on the students.
Public schools are forcing Islam on students. Fight that if it gets you so worked up.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgardian View Post
Public schools are forcing Islam on students. Fight that if it gets you so worked up.
Who's worked up?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Who's worked up?
Not me. I don't have a dog in this game. You?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies