Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 06:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,921,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Think, grasshopper, think. Stop fighting that false GOP vs DNC war.

People here are laughing at GOP because they drank the MSM koolaid and believe it's party that can't govern. But political parties are not suppose to govern, elected officials do. McCarthy isn't going to be speaker because GOP has individuals who won't tow stupid establishment party line. It's the very reason that Boehner was faulted.

So I suppose they'd rather have full establishment partisans running things. But thankfully most of Americans these don't agree with them.
Those GOP individuals who won't tow stupid establishment party line want the majority to bend to their extremist viewpoint. How it is supposed to work is that factions compromise and come out with policy that isn't what any one side wants, put ends up as a mix of all ideas. What the Tea Baggers want is to have the majority completely capitulate to their views 100%. That just isn't reasonable.

What will happen is that the portion of the GOP that actually wants to govern, will form a coalition with the Democrats and shut out the Tea Baggers.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Those GOP individuals who won't tow stupid establishment party line want the majority to bend to their extremist viewpoint. How it is supposed to work is that factions compromise and come out with policy that isn't what any one side wants, put ends up as a mix of all ideas. What the Tea Baggers want is to have the majority completely capitulate to their views 100%. That just isn't reasonable.

What will happen is that the portion of the GOP that actually wants to govern, will form a coalition with the Democrats and shut out the Tea Baggers.
What I'm hearing you say is that since the GOP owns the majority in the House and Senate the (D)'s simply need to understand that and go along with everything.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What I'm hearing you say is that since the GOP owns the majority in the House and Senate the (D)'s simply need to understand that and go along with everything.
You hear what you want to hear, which is usually wrong. What I was saying is that the GOP is fractured and the most radical element has no interest even compromising. That minority wants 100% of their agenda imposed upon the majority. The Ted Cruzes of the party want X, Y and Z and have no remorse about shutting down the government unless they get all three. Offering them X and Y, doesn't satisfy them.

This is the opposite of the way Democrats and Republicans used to resolve matters, by compromising their differences.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:11 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You hear what you want to hear, which is usually wrong. What I was saying is that the GOP is fractured and the most radical element has no interest even compromising. That minority wants 100% of their agenda imposed upon the majority. The Ted Cruzes of the party want X, Y and Z and have no remorse about shutting down the government unless they get all three. Offering them X and Y, doesn't satisfy them.

This is the opposite of the way Democrats and Republicans used to resolve matters, by compromising their differences.
You will know what is in it after it passes.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM

37,770 posts, read 40,912,626 times
I really don't care who they elect. They all look alike to me.

It's like Hillary Clinton saying over and over how much she'll fight for you and look at her record of fighting. Well guess what? Fighting is an action, not an accomplishment. We don't need a soldier in the White House. We need a General.

I really don't care who has been a good soldier on Capitol Hill. The House needs a "General," someone who can lead the battles and win them. Winning is the accomplishment. I really don't care about the "how" part, I only care about the result. Just because, for example, everyone knows who Paul Ryan (soldier) is doesn't make him capable of winning the war. Tell me about his record of accomplishments and I'll tell you if he's qualified to accomplish anything in the general's (Speaker's) job.

Right now it seems none of them have a clue.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:51 AM

5,724 posts, read 3,238,588 times
and you would trust people like Nanacy Pelois or Harry Reid as president????

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
The house Republicans can't even run their own caucus let alone the country. It's a sad state since their dysfunction directly impacts our nation. Can't say as I blame McCarthy though... leading house Republicans sounds like the worst job in America right now. All those clapping Boehner's departure and now he can't even leave. That's rich.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/john-...182950226.html

Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,690,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Gingrich also volunteered. Apparently the Speaker doesn't actually have to be a member of Congress.
You can always count on Newt to be Newt. This is a brave offer on his part, since he's bound to get his feelings hurt as everyone ignores him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I'm not sure if Boehner has to stay until there is a new one. But I don't know what would happen if he just went all Bye Felicia to Congress on October 31st without a replacement.
There's no law shackling Boehner to the gavel. And my guess is that he has no intention of doing elected office again, so he could indeed just say "hasta la vista, baby." That would be highly entertaining to watch.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:01 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,470,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No Ds are currently in the running for House speaker.

So your remark is true, but completely irrelevant.

The establishment Rs doubtless remember how utterly silly they looked when they were trying to elect a speaker during the Bill/Monica uproar, and their first two (IIRC) choices also had faulty-zipper syndrome.

I heard about this on the radio to work the other day....

Thought it was interesting that an extreme minority is imposing extreme give-and-no take among the others. We all know politics is, by its nature, moderate with a lot of posturing, hence what makes a politician.

Here are the two other times when the Speaker of the House was an extreme issue....

The Messiest Speakership Battle in History - POLITICO Magazine

Congress Could Make History for the First Time Since 1923

Maybe on the verge of some sort of "political" civil war? (see union busting)

Maybe on the verge of some sort of economic malaise once again?

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,044,063 times
It looks like Boehner is going to be staying on for the time being, at least until the GOP can find a candidate who can reach the magic number. And as long as the Freedom Caucus demands ideological purity that's probably not going to happen any time soon. Theoretically, Boehner could be there until the next Congress is seated.

This could actually be a good thing, especially with the upcoming debt ceiling and budget fight looming in December. Boehner will no longer be beholden to the far right because what are they going to do if he refuses to toe the line any more, oust him? Oh, yeah, they tried that and it didn't work.

This could be a great opportunity for Boehner to actually lead the way he's wanted to for years. If he puts the Tea Party in a corner, we could see the risk of a default/shutdown/credit rating drop go away completely.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It looks like Boehner is going to be staying on for the time being, at least until the GOP can find a candidate who can reach the magic number. And as long as the Freedom Caucus demands ideological purity that's probably not going to happen any time soon. Theoretically, Boehner could be there until the next Congress is seated.

This could actually be a good thing, especially with the upcoming debt ceiling and budget fight looming in December. Boehner will no longer be beholden to the far right because what are they going to do if he refuses to toe the line any more, oust him? Oh, yeah, they tried that and it didn't work.

This could be a great opportunity for Boehner to actually lead the way he's wanted to for years. If he puts the Tea Party in a corner, we could see the risk of a default/shutdown/credit rating drop go away completely.
I find it hilarious that no Republican wants the job that's third inline to the Presidency. I don't blame them. Boehner's face turned from orange to blue trying to get his own party to actually govern.

I see no strategy other than trying to box the Tea baggers out by making a coalition with the Dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.