Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
And everyone is special, and deserves a trophy.
You do have to blame this one on the parents of those millennial adults.........most of these parents had social issues to begin with.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
I'm an older millenial. I have definitely softened my liberal ways, and disagree with the regressive leftist stance that seems to permeate amongst the younger millenials.

Still believe in a strong and secure safety net, however. I also believe not having socialized medicine or "Medicare for all" option available to people is a competitive disadvantage in the world.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Major repudiation of CNN's premise and it seems everybody except victorianpunk missed it. You don't need to be a genius to understand that CNN's puny 10 person poll is a joke compared to Harvard's 3,000 millenials poll.

From the article:

So for that OP, you earn a thread fail.
Thanks.

Thing is, what young people ALWAYS want is something new, or at least, new to them. And the traditional left is the domain of old people who were around in the 60s (i.e., Bernie Sanders, the hipster candidate)

What is newer, i.e., hasn't been tried is old-school libertarianism. And no, Ayn Rand doesn't count (she hated libertarians)

There is a reason why this guy is quietly becoming a favorite pundit among millennials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zCwD-dRoo

Yes, Millennials are "liberal" in the sense that they want freedom to live their lives and be who they want to be. But slowly they are learning THE STATE is not the friend of individual freedom.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
We do and we don't get anything back from it
Not yet, anyway. When I was young, in my 20s, I was paying out a high tax rate. Working , successfully, in the trades, non union even, and pulling down big money. With no student loan debt (or any other debt, that didn't happen till I got married and had a child) I still had things good. I don't know where I fall, generationally (xyz. Whatever) but I do know I've watched my taxes be spent supporting illegal immigrants and spongers for far to long. Came time I needed the benefits I'd paid for, and was told no, as , next window over, a family of 6, Mexican "immigrants" was rubber stamped for medical, food, and cash "assistance". 35 long , hard years, working on a crippled leg as a pipefitter/ plumber, some of it in ...less than hospitable places...the leg caves in, I'm behind people who aren't even citizens for benefits I actually paid for. That part of your "millennial dream"?

I don't think you've done enough living to spout off like this, man. You don't know what "fed up" is, yet. When you've been , actually inside ,this system of social nets we have, and seen bow its funds area being spent, get back to us. You seem to think you're ...picked on. Paying for "old people" and such. Bwahahaha! Ummm..no. Us "old people" have paid up way ahead of you. But they spent our money on "helping poor, despondent immigrants", at the behest of "progressive" ideals, professed by the young, liberal/progressive bracket. Like you.

You're behind the 8 ball, Mr. "Millennial". You are just to young and naive to see ,that its the very things you're praising that got you there.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yes, Millennials are "liberal" in the sense that they want freedom to live their lives and be who they want to be. But slowly they are learning THE STATE is not the friend of individual freedom.
No one is stopping you except yourself. You have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Please note the keyword: Pursuit

It does not say, "given happiness" it says that you may pursue it.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:25 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Millennials: What they want from the candidates - CNN.com

Why can't right-wingers understand that their days are over, millenials will take over decades and want to become like those Nordic/Western European, Australian/New Zealand labor and government type system where the government provides life/social saferty net and security, free/very low cost education at all levels, mandatory paid days off from work, universal healthcare, and free from debt! Invest the money on our people, not foreigners and nonsense spending on military, wars, etc.! Millenials are sick and tired of having huge student loan debts while some may not find jobs because it's crappy low wages with some even no benefits, high cost of living, competition and expensive homes/rents, expensive daycares, etc. making life for non-rich people difficult. We pay already high taxes but barely get anything back from them unlike in Europe!!!! Capitalism will eventually die out hopefully...

Cut foreign & military aid, invest on us!!
Not so much. The younger millenials may not be as liberal as their older, counterparts. Looking at the mountain of debt that democrats are gleefully heaping on them, why would any millenial blindly vote democrat?

Meet The Obama-Era Kids Who Are About To Be First-Time Voters : It's All Politics : NPR

Millennials 25-29 years old favored the Democrats 50-27-23 percent compared with Republicans and independents, respectively. But, younger millennials 18-20 years old were less enthusiastic, going 42-33-26 percent for Democrats

Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:

Why can't right-wingers understand that their days are over, millenials will take over decades and want to become like those Nordic/Western European, Australian/New Zealand labor and government type system where the government provides life/social saferty net and security, free/very low cost education at all levels, mandatory paid days off from work, universal healthcare, and free from debt! Invest the money on our people, not foreigners and nonsense spending on military, wars, etc.! Millenials are sick and tired of having huge student loan debts while some may not find jobs because it's crappy low wages with some even no benefits, high cost of living, competition and expensive homes/rents, expensive daycares, etc. making life for non-rich people difficult. We pay already high taxes but barely get anything back from them unlike in Europe!!!! Capitalism will eventually die out hopefully...

Sounds like a typical group of people who believe they are entitled and should be handed everything they want on a silver platter; with no responsibility on their part.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Not so much. The younger millenials may not be as liberal as their older, counterparts. Looking at the mountain of debt that democrats are gleefully heaping on them, why would any millenial blindly vote democrat?

Meet The Obama-Era Kids Who Are About To Be First-Time Voters : It's All Politics : NPR

Millennials 25-29 years old favored the Democrats 50-27-23 percent compared with Republicans and independents, respectively. But, younger millennials 18-20 years old were less enthusiastic, going 42-33-26 percent for Democrats

That's all because of Social Issues. When the GOP finally gives up on hating gays, the War on Drugs and "Law and Order" nonsense they will once again win over young people.

And Law and Order comes from an armed populace anyway, not a police state.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

Some of them are old enough to vote, while the rest will have to wait a few more years.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No one is stopping you except yourself. You have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Please note the keyword: Pursuit

It does not say, "given happiness" it says that you may pursue it.

Okay, I want to grow some Cannabis. Can I "pursue" that? I want to start a business but can't pay for a lawyer to handle the mountain of unnecessary regulation that comes with that, can I really "pursue" that one? I'm happiest when I have some damn privacy. In the age of the NSA, can I really "pursue" that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies