Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

On a side note, if someone in the justice department hadn't leaked the investigation of Blagovich for selling Obama's Senate seat....they'd have scooped up another 5-6 prominent Chicago politicians although they did get Jesse Jr. on unrelated charges anyway.

Meanwhile, Illinois has had to increase state income tax to stave off bankruptcy. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 04:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Corruption is as non-partisan as it gets.

I think there is a pact to alternate days of the week

Old 10-12-2015, 01:49 PM

IMO corruption festers best when you have:

1) Mono-party rule as it gets incestuous as you appoint the judges and police chiefs etc. and the other party is never going to get in office and if you cross the party in charge you're career is dead.

2) Weak press\media

3) Lack of oversight at a higher level (fed gov)

I agree that the party itself doesn't matter, crooks are crooks.

Just look at Chicago, it's the fed gov that keeps busting them and even then SOMEBODY tipped off the blago investigation. Grrrrr.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:58 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sadly it's not just Chicago.
Hornsby Convicted On 6 Counts

Pr. George's Schools Chief's PhD Under Scrutiny

We had two in a row, above.

Brick school superintendent, others indicted on official misconduct and theft charges

Berkeley school board evaluates indicted superintendent Rodney Thompson, gives $17K annuity - Post and Courier

Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 PM

School districts everywhere are substantially vulnerable to corruption.

Most districts have lousy to no internal controls. This woman was in cahoots with her former employer and the contract was no bid. It's not like there were no other service providers who could have competed.

Rahm appointed her and this happened on his watch.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
IMO corruption festers best when you have:

1) Mono-party rule as it gets incestuous as you appoint the judges and police chiefs etc. and the other party is never going to get in office and if you cross the party in charge you're career is dead.

2) Weak press\media

3) Lack of oversight at a higher level (fed gov)

I agree that the party itself doesn't matter, crooks are crooks.

Just look at Chicago, it's the fed gov that keeps busting them and even then SOMEBODY tipped off the blago investigation. Grrrrr.

First order of business should be hiring a firm to review internal controls.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:51 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Let's see, Rham is in charge of the school board, he appoints them, he oversees the CPS, but---- as he said today " I don't do the contracts, I don't know what's in them, it's bad for a mayor to get involved in contracts, etc". So even though it was him that brought BBB to CPS, him that praised her to the heavens, him that OK'd her contract, him that OK'd her salary & benefits, he doesn't know a thing about any of it. Sounds like a Daley to me. When are the people of Chicago going to quit supporting the Dem machine and try to straighten out the city ? How many more years of putting these jerks in office?l Oh, and lets not forget that he fudged the graduation % during the election!

Old 10-12-2015, 04:51 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
School districts everywhere are substantially vulnerable to corruption.

Most districts have lousy to no internal controls. This woman was in cahoots with her former employer and the contract was no bid. It's not like there were no other service providers who could have competed.

Rahm appointed her and this happened on his watch.
Yep.

This was my (former) system's CFO to go along with Superintendents I linked earlier:

PG County schools CFO resigns amid insurance fraud charges - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

And some immigration violations:

WHD News Release: Prince George’s County Public Schools charged with violating provisions of H-1B temporary foreign worker program [04/04/2011]

Old 10-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
First order of business should be hiring a firm to review internal controls.
Yeah, they'll hire a firm owned by one of the aldermen or maybe a firm that can hire one of Daleys nephews or oh wait I know....Jesse Jackson Jr. should be getting out of jail soon, he's going to need a job.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Let's see, Rham is in charge of the school board, he appoints them, he oversees the CPS, but---- as he said today " I don't do the contracts, I don't know what's in them, it's bad for a mayor to get involved in contracts, etc". So even though it was him that brought BBB to CPS, him that praised her to the heavens, him that OK'd her contract, him that OK'd her salary & benefits, he doesn't know a thing about any of it. Sounds like a Daley to me. When are the people of Chicago going to quit supporting the Dem machine and try to straighten out the city ? How many more years of putting these jerks in office?l Oh, and lets not forget that he fudged the graduation % during the election!
You are hoping for political change in an Oligarchy? Heck, the republicans couldn't even beat Stroger Jr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies