Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times

Advertisements

I think you can "keep going" until you are blue in the face. The end result is still the same. Many of us do not share your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 AM

194 posts, read 361,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I think you can "keep going" until you are blue in the face. The end result is still the same. Many of us do not share your views.
...and the views of qualified doctors and scientists.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOG View Post
CHECK OUT THE OVERWHELMING USE OF THE WORDING "HUMAN" LIFE! IT CANNOT BE ANYTHING BUT HUMAN IF IT'S PARENTS ARE HUMAN! IT'S DNA WILL TELL YOU IT'S IS HUMAN!
A butterfly's child is a caterpillar. Same DNA. You want to argue that because the DNA says one thing that it will always be the one thing. It's not true.

The animal kingdom (because we're nothing more than animals in the big picture) has plenty of examples of where the "babies" are completely different in appearance and name over the fully grown.

It's called the Cycles of Life.

Zygote -> Fetus -> Human

Quote:
And the views of qualified doctors and scientists don't agree with the views of OTHER qualified doctors and scientists.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
SHALL I KEEP GOING???? HUMAN LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION! THIS IS NOT RELIGIOUS DOGMA, THIS IS SCIENTIFIC FACT!
You'll keep going regardless of any advice from me. The foundations of your religious faith are at stake here, after all. But in this case, you are once again pleading a point that is not in dispute. A zygote is a living cell that is of human origin.

What is in dispute is your unfounded claim that the quite unremarkable biological event of fertilization results in the entirely magical insertion of a soul (what you have tried to disguise as personhood) at the same time, and that this imaginary act must accord to the resulting single-cell a set of actual rights that automatically supercedes any that the quite well-established host human being might wish to put forward. It is this bit of preposterous religious dogma that is under attack and that you are unable to defend.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Your inability to admit that other people have a right to their own opinions is quite telling.
Abortion is legal in this country and even if it Roe/Wade is overturned it will go back to the states and it will be legal in many states, to which those that want to terminate a pregnancy will flock.
Abortions have been around forever and will NEVER stop. There is NO ONE that will convince me that a 8 week old embryo is a "BABY" and there is no way anyone will convince me that women should have to carry a pregnancy to term that would ruin their lives.
You can believe what you want, your choice, but all the diatribe in the world won't change my views on this topic.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 02-07-2008 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
A butterfly's child is a caterpillar. Same DNA. You want to argue that because the DNA says one thing that it will always be the one thing. It's not true.

The animal kingdom (because we're nothing more than animals in the big picture) has plenty of examples of where the "babies" are completely different in appearance and name over the fully grown.

It's called the Cycles of Life.

Zygote -> Fetus -> Human

And the views of qualified doctors and scientists don't agree with the views of OTHER qualified doctors and scientists.
A caterpillar does not look like a butterfly but we know and accept that it undertakes a developmental stage to become one and this fact is not disputed. The caterpillar, crystalis, and the butterfly are merely developmental stages of the same creature even though the appearance at various stages of development is markedly different. Same goes for the stages of development for an unborn baby, it is human from the moment of conception and will remain human it's whole life!

Last edited by JOJOG; 02-07-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 AM

I know what it looks like.
There is nothing you can tell me that I haven't already read or heard elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Your inability to admit that other people have a right to their own opinions is quite telling.
Abortion is legal in this country and even if it Roe/Wade is overturned it will go back to the states and it will be legal in many states, to which those that want to terminate a pregnancy will flock.
Abortions have been around forever and will NEVER stop. There is NO ONE that will convince me that a 8 week old embryo is a "BABY" and there is no way anyone will convince me that women should have to carry a pregnancy to term that would ruin their lives.
You can believe what you want, your choice, but all the diatribe in the world won't change my views on this topic.

Look at these then and tell me what it is?? Sure looks like a baby to me.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
WE'LL TRY ONE MORE TIME! LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION.
No. Both the sperm and ovum were alive (and human) prior to conception.

Quote:
AND YES, ONE MOMENT THERE WAS NO PERSON, BUT ONCE THE SPERM AND EGG FUSE TOGETHER, THERE IS NOW A LIFE!
Per your religious dogma. Which you are personally quite welcome to. Such dogma, however, has no relevance whatsoever to anyone other than yourself.

Quote:
YOU DON'T KNOW MORE THAN EDUCATED AND QUALIFIED SCIENTISTS AND DOCTORS!
Appeal to authority. Yet another entry to add to the growing list of logical fallacies you have committed.

Quote:
YOU MY FRIEND ARE THE ONE WHO IS ILLOGICAL!
Right. As if I'm the one who believes that the caps-lock key makes my arguments more valid or persuasive.

Quote:
YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE TRUTH YOU SIMPLY LIKE TO HEAR YOURSELF SPEW! I AM DONE ENGAGING WITH YOU!
Truth??? ApologeticsPress.org??? Young-earth creationists???

Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:

Look at these then and tell me what it is?? Sure looks like a baby to me.
Looks like little white boxes with red X's in them...

Quote:
A caterpillar does not look like a butterfly but we know and accept that it undertakes a developmental stage to become one and this fact is not disputed.
If it has to go through stages to "become one" (a butterfly) then it is not coherently a butterfly from the start of its life. It's a caterpillar. Just as a fetus has to go through stages of development in order to become a human.

Honestly, do you see a caterpillar chewing on a leave and say, "What a pretty Butterfly"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies