Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,572,836 times

Advertisements

"One person was dead and another wounded after a shooting at a student housing complex at a Texas university Friday, police said."

This is getting to be a joke. I think we may need a new sub-category for school and mass shootings.

Police: 1 dead, 1 wounded in Texas university shooting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 02:06 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,272,480 times
Only one dead. Doesn't count.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,035,663 times
AUM! Where you been, buddy?!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,380,049 times
Hardly a MASS shooting! Otherwise EVERY weekend in Chicago would be headline news!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM

46,189 posts, read 26,853,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"One person was dead and another wounded after a shooting at a student housing complex at a Texas university Friday, police said."

This is getting to be a joke. I think we may need a new sub-category for school and mass shootings.

Police: 1 dead, 1 wounded in Texas university shooting
I guess we should have a search button, that cross references current events and PoC....

This is like the 3 or 5th thread....

Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,434,104 times
Quick! Who can step on the dead first and make political statements?

Old 10-09-2015, 02:26 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,347,049 times
I think this story actually goes more to the CC laws enacted to allow CC for students to carry onto campus, classrooms, dorms etc. It came to my attention today that a Professor resigned when he found out the university he was teaching at moved to allow such.
University of Texas professor quits over state's 'campus carry' gun law | US news | The Guardian
Quote:
Daniel Hamermesh, an economics professor emeritus who has taught at the university since 1993, said in a letter to the college’s president that “with a huge group of students my perception is that the risk that a disgruntled student might bring a gun into the classroom and start shooting at me has been substantially enhanced by the concealed-carry law”.

The letter, published by the Daily Texan, said that rather than teach in Austin in fall 2016 and 2017, Hamermesh will “out of self-protection” instead spend part of next year at the University of Sydney, “where, among other things, this risk seems lower”.

The Republican-dominated Texas legislature passed the bill last summer. It goes into effect on 1 August next year. That date will mark the 50th anniversary of the first US mass college shooting – which took place on the University of Texas campus.
SO just maybe this professor does feel such threats just going to work when cancealed guns could end his life and others..because it's lawful for anyone to settle their beefs in such a manner the OP's example outlines.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:27 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,399,651 times
Texas Southern is a black university in Houston, no real academic requirements, in a really bad section of Houston.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:27 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,394,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I think this story actually goes more to the CC laws enacted to allow CC for students to carry onto campus, classrooms, dorms etc. It came to my attention today that a Professor resigned when he found out the university he was teaching at moved to allow such.
University of Texas professor quits over state's 'campus carry' gun law | US news | The Guardian

SO just maybe this professor does feel such threats just going to work when canceled guns could end his life and others..because it's lawful for anyone to settle their beefs in such a manner the OP's example outlines.
Nah, he's just a *****

Old 10-09-2015, 02:29 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,771,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

SO just maybe this professor does feel such threats just going to work when canceled guns could end his life and others..because it's lawful for anyone to settle their beefs in such a manner the OP's example outlines.
Because people get shot everywhere else where concealed carry is legal. The professor should help himself and take criminology and statistics classes where he would learn that someone with s carry permit is much less likely to commit a crime than an average citizen.

It is nothing more than hoplophobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies