Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:36 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You're no Conservative.

Good try, no cigar.
Much like staunch Bernie Sanders followers are "independent".

Don't forget the "I own a gun but..." and the "I believe in the second amendment but..." folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:04 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You're no Conservative.

Good try, no cigar.
Was not a good try but an excellent troll. And no, he's just another leftie trying, but failing miserably, to convince people he's a rational, thoughtful conservative when he is no such thing.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Very simple, they have no place in society, except in the hands of the military.

Most would be calling me an ultra liberal for my stand on this issue, but I am just the opposite.
I am a conservative republican.
Perhaps we need to understand the word "conservative" as it applies to some, but not all republicans.

Conservative people tend to want to preserve.
To conserve is to preserve something .

As a staunch defender of disarming the public, I am in fact in favor of preserving human life everywhere.
One way to preserve that life is to rid the country of all guns.
I believe they are nothing but killing machines.
There are many ways to eradicate a human life besides guns, but guns seem to be the predominant weapon of choice, so they must be dealt with first.

As a conservative, I see a problem with society, and it's use of deadly gunfire, and my gut feeling is to lash out at the source.
Look at the problem for what it is, and find the best solution to fix it.

With a tough issue like gun control, one can't please everyone.
Some will have to sacrifice long held beliefs, for the good of all.
As a conservative, do I think the 2nd amendment should be preserved ?
To answer that, it would take the best scholars in the world to interpret just what the founding fathers meant in their ambiguous wording of the amendment.
As it is written, I would re-write it to reflect the world we live in today.

'A well regulated militia, the people's right to bear arms shall not be infringed."
It is as if two different subjects were being discussed at the same time, and both made it into the second amendment, even tho they are completely unrelated, unless of course they looked on a militia as being ordinary citizens who voluntarily took up arms in the time of war.
I feel this is the thinking behind the 2nd amendment.

Taking it at that value, the amendment would only allow for citizens to bare arms in time of war, and that right will not be infringed.
I would preserve that meaning of the amendment, and not let it be clouded by the unfounded desire of the public at large to be armed and protected under the amendment.
As a conservative, I feel it necessary to preserve the rule of law written into the constitution, but only if those laws are clear, and unabated, which obviously the 2ndamendment is not.

Bob.
I am not a conservative, and I disagree.

I agree that conservative means to preserve. Usually, that means to preserve a society as is. This is why I refuse to be a conservative. I do not believe our society or our system is worth preserving. It must be changed and improved if we are to move further.

I however support people's right to own guns.

I reject the (moronic) NRA view that more guns=safety. That's not the case at all. But I don't think the mass shootings are a result of guns existing. We live in a ****ed up society, and this creates ****ed up people. This is why I'm not a conservative. To preserve our society as is, is to keep a cancer cell alive in a body. It's not sensible to want that. It's our society that needs to change, not people's ability to own guns.

I used to think like you on this issue, but I don't anymore. For starters, it's impractical. Not only the logistics of getting rid of all guns, but how angry this would make people. Much of the country thinks guns are a right, and you can't just pretend that's not the case. But also, what if we do need those guns. America can still be invaded and our military can still become incapacitated. It's unlikely, but even so, it can happen.

And really, if you want to preserve life, you don't identify as conservative. You don't conserve this society, you amend it. And if you're gonna ban the big killers, tackled heart disease. Guns aren't the most threatening thing people face these days.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
If we did not have a government that was on the brink of implosion ,bending to the UN agenda 21 the whole assault rifle issue would be on existent . Hence this is their concern , not public safety.
Fact; after obama was elected and began opening his mouth, gun sales had soared.
And I guarantee you that if Hillery is elected gun sales will soar even further.
The government is doing every thing it can to divide the people .
A great deal of gun sales is to women in this area , I ask the local gun shops how sales is doing from time to time.
This is not a crime ridden area but the people are paying attention to the signs of the times.
I think society wold se a vast improvement if gun ownership was celebrated much like owning a car or a computer.
Certainly criminals would have fewer targets, and more fearful of their behaviors.
Since liberals seem to defend the criminal I can see where this would be a problem for them in a new society.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:22 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
We have had one gun homicide in our county In the last 5 years, and you can hardly buy a new gun. everything is on back order. People are afraid.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:27 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
If Obama is so hell bent on taking away your guns let him lead by example and disarm the secret service that protects him.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If we did not have a government that was on the brink of implosion ,bending to the UN agenda 21 the whole assault rifle issue would be on existent . Hence this is their concern , not public safety.
Fact; after obama was elected and began opening his mouth, gun sales had soared.
And I guarantee you that if Hillery is elected gun sales will soar even further.
The government is doing every thing it can to divide the people .
A great deal of gun sales is to women in this area , I ask the local gun shops how sales is doing from time to time.
This is not a crime ridden area but the people are paying attention to the signs of the times.
I think society wold se a vast improvement if gun ownership was celebrated much like owning a car or a computer.
Certainly criminals would have fewer targets, and more fearful of their behaviors.
Since liberals seem to defend the criminal I can see where this would be a problem for them in a new society.

They go after the rifles....

Rifles are more dangerous to the government, than they will ever be to the people.
Make the public more armed and cull the evil in society quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies