Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be any restrictions on the type of arm purchases by citizens?
No restriction (bazooka, browning machine gun, SAM, etc is OK) 39 54.17%
Only portable handheld rifles, pistols, and shotguns (of any type) 17 23.61%
Only semi auto or single action rifles/pistols/shotguns 5 6.94%
Only rifles or shotguns (any further restrictions tbd) 0 0%
Only pistols (any further restrictions tbd) 0 0%
Only sport/hunting and target rifles/pistols /shotguns 2 2.78%
Other (please describe) 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times

Advertisements

People who have the right to life, have the right to defend that life, with whatever weapon they deem necessary.
People who need permission, have no rights.

When did servant government become the master?
I missed that somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
I'd be concerned if my neighbor was in possession of mustard gas. He seems unstable. If he tried to defend his home with mustard gas, he's wipe out the whole neighborhood, and I am not sure that he realizes that.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
People who have the right to life, have the right to defend that life, with whatever weapon they deem necessary.

I missed that somehow.

I seriously doubt that I could have said that better, myself.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Yeah that's why I put in an option to ban pistols. They are used in the vast majority of crimes. You don't see some guy with 30—6 mugging people in a dark alley.
It doesn't matter that handguns are overwhelmingly the weapon of choice for criminals . Do you know why? Because law abiding Americans also overwhelmingly choose the handgun for lawful purposes, and that's all that matters. Don't take my word for it, read the legal precedent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
From a constitutional perspective I think this makes the most sense. Some sort of standard rifle/carbine should be available for purchase to those that apply and are vetted to be in each states militia. This would not be infringed.
So would you support making handguns illegal?
You seem to be under the impression that the right to keep and bear arms only applies to some state organized militia. If that is the case, than you are woefully under informed and it would serve you well to read up on some history before engaging in conversations like these. Every able-bodied citizen of an adult age belongs to the militia.
Quote:
Everything else Imo, could be drastically controlled/banned/restricted and it
would still be perfectly constitutional.
What are you basing your opinion on per se? What facts are there to suggest that "Everything else could be drastically controlled/banned/restricted" and it would still be constitutional? I love how everyone has "opinions" but never any basis in fact to back them up.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 10-13-2015 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:

I missed that somehow.
^^^
This!

Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. It's simple. I don't care what you do and you shouldn't care what I do, because I am never going to be a problem for anyone who isn't a threat to me or my family.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:21 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I know just about zero about guns. I don't own any, and don't really want any, but since I live in the country, and sometimes raccoons are a problem, I have sometimes thought I should get a gun (it's illegal to
trap and release, strangely enough). We own 11 acres, mostly wooded.

Therefore, I agree with this.
It's not all that strange. Why do you want to get rid of the raccoons? Because they are a nuisance, right? So by trapping and releasing them, while you might be taking care of your problem, you are just passing that problem of yours off on to someone else. That's why trap-and-release is illegal.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 10-13-2015 at 06:34 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Nice to watch the arms race being set off in this country by the hard right. As more weapons made with the only purpose to kill each other.

The police forces of the nation need to be prepared so you see the arms race continue.
Strange you don't even know people own guns of all kinds and actually enjoy owning them. Not many gun owners that I know own them because they want to challenge the government.......lies put out by the left......get over it!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
What a weird interpretation. The purpose of weapons ownership is NOT to kill each other.

Read some history, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence and our Constitution.

As for the the police 'forces' as you call them, I prefer having them than anarchy. And since they cannot (and should not) be everywhere all the time, arming oneself is the better option.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I know just about zero about guns. I don't own any, and don't really want any, but since I live in the country, and sometimes raccoons are a problem, I have sometimes thought I should get a gun (it's illegal to
trap and release, strangely enough). We own 11 acres, mostly wooded.

Therefore, I agree with this.
A good dog will chase them away......no gun needed!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:

I missed that somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
^^^
This!

Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. It's simple. I don't care what you do and you shouldn't care what I do, because I am never going to be a problem for anyone who isn't a threat to me or my family.

I'm with you two in echoing these sentiments!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:25 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
I'm glad to see that 50% of this forum is completely unhinged. Just more confirmation of the how many nuts there are in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies