Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 12:45 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So 30% of patients had side effects... Sounds really harsh.

So only pregnant women... meaning that if those people were immune (had the disease) then the were not a threat nor were the people that just had it.
NOT pregnant women - their unborn kids! A woman can have had measles and be immune, but if she is pregnant and is exposed to measles, she could still miscarry if measles is passed to her fetus. Or in the case of German measles, she might have a deformed child. I just can't understand how you can't understand that?

Quote:

My kid recently came down with what I diagnosed as fifth disease. He had all the symptoms so I assume he had it... maybe he had asymptomatic measles... or maybe I was right that he had 5th disease... Isolation of measles virus from a naturally-immune, asymptomatically re-infected individual. - PubMed - NCBI
How would you know WHAT he had? Since you don't even know the basics of vaccination, you're obviously not smart enough to be a doctor. So why would any of us believe you know how to differentiate between measles and any other rash?

Quote:

Measles is a benign disease that resolves after a few weeks if that. So again the question is... why have a vaccine for it when other rashes go untreated.
Measles is NOT a benign disease. What are you reading from, the Idiot's Guide to Measles or something? Haven't you seen how many people die from measles? Are you ignoring how many people have had complications from measles, like going deaf or blind? Why are you even asking this question? At least three people have TOLD you why there's a vaccine for measles. If you ask a question and get an answer you don't like, asking it over and over isn't going to change it into an answer you like.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindlessness View Post
I had measles when I was 3 AFTER I had the vaccination. When I went to have my first baby my blood shows as never developing immunity to the vaccine. They gave me a booster shot and I still show no immunity.
Again, for the umpty umpth time, sometimes the vaccinations don't take. And if you showed no immunity, then you didn't have the measles. And you're the number one reason why people need to get vaccinated. If you are naturally resistant to the measles vaccine, then the only thing standing between you getting measles as an adult is other people being vaccinated - ie, herd immunity. Because believe me, you do NOT want to get measles as an adult.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:

I have no control over whether a restaurant worker washes their hands... I have no control over another person's actions. If they don't wash their hands then I really have no recourse (nor would I really know). How many times have you eaten a meal from a restaurant where the cook's spit or sweat was in your food. Do you know? What law would you like to enact that would save you from spit/sweat? Do you think that all people in this country washes their hands after a bathroom trip? Reality check... they don't! Can you survive nonetheless... yes!
How about - NO! Do you have any idea of how many serious and potentially deadly diseases you can get from people who don't wash their hands? No, of course you don't. You live in a fairy tale world.

You still didn't answer my question about whether or not you'd be comfortable with that. But from your answer, I assume you'd eat rotten food, allow people to serve you food with crap on it, and you don't bother to refrigerate anything because you have no control over things like that. And I guess you think you lead a charmed life because you aren't going to get sick from any of that.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:23 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359
One day someone that has read a fairy tale comes into my fifth grade classroom and announces he read a fairy tale that says the Earth is flat.
Yes tell me about it.... There is a thread on davidicke about this... ITS BS!!!!!!!

THE EARTH IS NOT FLAT!!!!!!! -- IT CANT BE!! (Its all BS)

Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Roseola and Fifth Disease are much milder disease with few serious sequelae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Not all rashy diseases have a vaccine. Fifths disease, for example. Very common in little kiddos, few complications, no vaccine.
Fifth disease is usually mild in kids but can be awful in adults, with prolonged joint pain. There is a thread here on CD about adults with it. The virus can cause a condition called hydrops in the fetus if mom gets it during pregnancy and there is a 10% risk of miscarriage. It can also cause problems for people with some chronic anemias.

There is research on a vaccine for it, possibly using the same technology as is used for the HPV vaccine.

Quote:
So 30% of patients had side effects... Sounds really harsh.
Yeah, being sick enough to be hospitalized, dying during the initial infection, or dying a few years later from SSPE is pretty harsh.

Measles is not a trivial disease.

Quote:
So only pregnant women... meaning that if those people were immune (had the disease) then the were not a threat nor were the people that just had it.
Rubella during pregnancy causes severe birth defects. It is not trivial either.

Quote:
My kid recently came down with what I diagnosed as fifth disease. He had all the symptoms so I assume he had it... maybe he had asymptomatic measles... or maybe I was right that he had 5th disease... Isolation of measles virus from a naturally-immune, asymptomatically re-infected individual. - PubMed - NCBI
Your link does not prove what you apparently think it does.

People with asymptomatic measles do not spread it.

Lack of Evidence of Measles Virus Shedding in People with Inapparent Measles Virus Infections

If you are not sure of the difference between fifth disease and measles perhaps you should not be playing Dr. Mom.

Quote:
Measles is a benign disease that resolves after a few weeks if that. So again the question is... why have a vaccine for it when other rashes go untreated.
Measles is not a benign disease. it can cause severe disabilities and death, which is why there is a vaccine for it.

Quote:
If you give a vaccine at birth then try to see a correlation in autism after birth with vaccines... the study is a bust. If you don't see this then I am sorry you are so dumb.
What is a bust is your understanding of epidemiology. Hepatitis B vaccine does not cause autism.

Autism causation and the Hepatitis B vaccine: no link | Left Brain Right Brain

Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Fifth disease is usually mild in kids but can be awful in adults, with prolonged joint pain. There is a thread here on CD about adults with it. The virus can cause a condition called hydrops in the fetus if mom gets it during pregnancy and there is a 10% risk of miscarriage. It can also cause problems for people with some chronic anemias. "

I do know this. I've known adults who work in child care who contracted it and it was horrible for them. My point to the poster was there is not currently a vaccine for it, which is why we don't vaccinate for "every" rashy disease. I'm frustrated, Suzy Q. People want to fight vaccinations based on what their church or some celebrity says, fine. But when their stupid choice affects their kid, in that they get terribly ill, or affects some person who cannot get vaccinated for some medical reason, I'm not going to shut up. I'm sick of people who can barely put together a thought, and are unable to discriminate what they see on the internet, giving out medical advice. It's ridiculous and it makes me angry.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:51 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Fifth disease is usually mild in kids but can be awful in adults, with prolonged joint pain. There is a thread here on CD about adults with it. The virus can cause a condition called hydrops in the fetus if mom gets it during pregnancy and there is a 10% risk of miscarriage. It can also cause problems for people with some chronic anemias. "

I do know this. I've known adults who work in child care who contracted it and it was horrible for them. My point to the poster was there is not currently a vaccine for it, which is why we don't vaccinate for "every" rashy disease. I'm frustrated, Suzy Q. People want to fight vaccinations based on what their church or some celebrity says, fine. But when their stupid choice affects their kid, in that they get terribly ill, or affects some person who cannot get vaccinated for some medical reason, I'm not going to shut up. I'm sick of people who can barely put together a thought, and are unable to discriminate what they see on the internet, giving out medical advice. It's ridiculous and it makes me angry.
I know exactly what you mean!

My only point was that the experts are working on a vaccine for fifth disease. It may not be as bad as measles, but it is worth preventing because of its effect during pregnancy. It may give adults a hard time, but most of them do get better.

http://www.fifthdisease.org/cmsFiles...on_booklet.pdf

Old 10-26-2015, 01:57 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I know exactly what you mean!

My only point was that the experts are working on a vaccine for fifth disease. It may not be as bad as measles, but it is worth preventing because of its effect during pregnancy. It may give adults a hard time, but most of them do get better.

http://www.fifthdisease.org/cmsFiles...on_booklet.pdf
Now THIS is helpful. That's the difference.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:08 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Yes... Vaccines don't cause autism nor contribute to it.. OOPS we give babies a vaccine their first day of life so... Try to gauge a newborn for autism to compare to it post-vaccine at 12 hours old. Makes perfect sense.
It sounds like you may need to educate yourself about what determines causality. You are aware that measles and autism exist in places not as developed as other countries such as the U.S. where vaccines rates are minimal and that there are factors such as unreported cases which cause reported statistics to not adequately reflect disease rates.

Quote:
So tell us why we should vaccinate against one rash but not "lots of rash diseases" that exist...
You may want to educate yourself about what measles is. Before you write anything else about this topic it sounds like you'll want to study up on it so that you can become more knowledgeable about it.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
You learn something every day on here. I never knew that a pregnant woman, who is herself immune to measles, can still pass on measles to her unborn if exposed. Wow. Why did they even bother to test the blood of pregnant women for Rubella antibodies? Would not have made any difference anyway. ONLY if these diseases are totally eradicated in society will immune pregnant women not pass them on to their fetuses.

Once again, the ONLY immunity is from vaccines when there is vaccinated Herd Immunity. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies