Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 10:17 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I think this is the first time I've seen so many conservatives on this site advocate for keeping pork even though it's more expensive. I thought Republicans were all about lowering government spending.
well... your "even though its more expensive" part just is not accurate.

that is itself the issue.

I don't think any republican (myself included) is advocating for keeping pork.

what we are saying is that we don't like it when we get pee'd on and get told its raining.

Here is the deal. if the federal prison system was buying what was cheapest they wouldn't need to worry about making any statement about it.

but that's not what happened. they banned pork and said
1. Prisioners don't like pork
2. Pork is more expensive
3. Prisoners are health conscience and think pork is bad for you....

We take exception to being lied to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
All of those who don't eat pork already had alternatives to pick from. I think they should have been forced to eat whatever was being served or starve.
You aren't the one who decides that...the Supreme Court has already weighed in several times and the DOJ enforces accommodation for inmate religious food restrictions through RLUIPA Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act | CRT | Department of Justice

Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well... your "even though its more expensive" part just is not accurate.
that is itself the issue. I don't think any republican (myself included) is advocating for keeping pork.
what we are saying is that we don't like it when we get pee'd on and get told its raining.
Here is the deal. if the federal prison system was buying what was cheapest they wouldn't need to worry about making any statement about it.
but that's not what happened. they banned pork and said
1. Prisioners don't like pork
2. Pork is more expensive
3. Prisoners are health conscience and think pork is bad for you....
We take exception to being lied to.
They don't need to lie to you, the right of prisoners to receive vegan, halal or kosher diets in prison is already a decided issue, there are a number of court decisions requiring that prisons accommodate religious diet restrictions. Almost all prisons buy prepared frozen halal and kosher meals from a vendor like TV dinners, so this likely has nothing to do with anything more than what they said- pork is not popular with inmates.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
from the article
pork is about as cheap as it gets and currently at a 4 year low Pork Prices Drop as Hog Herds Recover - WSJ
prison is fertile for islamic conversion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conver...n_U.S._prisons
yeah, pork is much cheaper than beef, so that excuse doesn't even get off the ground.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I think this is the first time I've seen so many conservatives on this site advocate for keeping pork even though it's more expensive. I thought Republicans were all about lowering government spending.
'more expensive' than what, exactly?

beef? no.

chicken? no.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You aren't the one who decides that...the Supreme Court has already weighed in several times and the DOJ enforces accommodation for inmate religious food restrictions through RLUIPA Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act | CRT | Department of Justice
They already had alternatives, no need for the ban. Pork is one of the cheapest meats available so cost was NOT the issue.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'more expensive' than what, exactly?beef? no. chicken? no.
Where I live pork is more expensive than either chicken or turkey. It is also more expensive than soy and tofu both of which are served frequently in prisons and jails as a "protein"

Old 10-13-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
They already had alternatives, no need for the ban. Pork is one of the cheapest meats available so cost was NOT the issue.
then you tell me WHAT was the issue? Because it was not about Halal or Kosher diets- here, on page 16 you will find this:"The Federal Bureau of Prisons has allowed inmate access to certified, pre-packaged Halal meals since 1996 without incident" So if muslims already receive pre packaged halal meals and jews receive pre packaged kosher meals in federal prison how can you conflate this into something nefarious?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Where I live pork is more expensive than either chicken or turkey. It is also more expensive than soy and tofu both of which are served frequently in prisons and jails as a "protein"
but you would agree that it's definitely not more expensive than beef, which is not being cut from the menu?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
then you tell me WHAT was the issue? Because it was not about Halal or Kosher diets- here, on page 16 you will find this:"The Federal Bureau of Prisons has allowed inmate access to certified, pre-packaged Halal meals since 1996 without incident" So if muslims already receive pre packaged halal meals and jews receive pre packaged kosher meals in federal prison how can you conflate this into something nefarious?
The prepackaged food costs more than twice as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies