Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:41 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Perhaps the number of deaths by drunk drivers would be greater if there were no testing, licensing or training of drivers of motor vehicles?
Not even likely in dreams, since no one requires any of those to get drunk, nor will they even think about any of those when they are drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:08 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am still tired of being called a pro gun (or just gun) nut by our Liberal friends here on CD that would rather hide behind a "Gun Free Zone" sign and think that it will protect them from some sicko with a gun. So I have a simple question to ask:

If a driver (drunk or sober) hits a family with his/her car, we (rightfully) blame the driver.

When a bomb blows up in Boston or Turkey or in??? We blame the bomber.

When someone kills someone with a gun, WHY THE HELL DO WE BLAME THE GUN?
There is even a simpler question to ask: why do you all gun fans think that arms=handheld guns? It doesnt make any sense. It is not constitutional. Obviously, founding fathers knew nothing about anti aircraft missiles etc., so they meant arms as arms, i.e. all the weapons a contemporary (to them) army could possibly have. So, please, dont appeal to second ammendment as something eternal, it is just a murky text that each generation interprets according to its whims and senses. The next generation is free to interpret "arms" as something permanently stored in a safe location, it is just as valid as your creative interpretation of "arms".

Old 10-12-2015, 02:21 AM

4 posts, read 1,641 times
Quote:
I am still tired of being called a pro gun (or just gun) nut by our Liberal friends here on CD that would rather hide behind a "Gun Free Zone" sign and think that it will protect them from some sicko with a gun. So I have a simple question to ask:

If a driver (drunk or sober) hits a family with his/her car, we (rightfully) blame the driver.

Mike hi i am a democrat who is a gun owner and i love guns so im not in that company that would accuse you of being nuts because well i believe in gun ownership

To answer your question in one word its Fear .. all of us whether we want to admit it or not are scared
it doesn't matter if you have all the guns that money can buy or if you live in a gun free zone we are all scared of what someone might do to harm us .. its how we choose to deal with that fear that is the problem
im going to say something very controversial but i will not argue with anyone on this issue
i am no racist and without getting into the issue of the charleston shooters racisim and what the confederate flag represents and doesn't represent i think that because of fear people started taking down the flag
they weren't bothered by it before but suddenly this tragedy occurs and they blame the flag because they see it as a tie in to the raceism of the young man who committed the crime . the shooters gun was not the issue the flag was not the issue the issue or issues were hate , maybe ignorance and perhaps mental illness
So those who blame guns are projecting their fear onto something they feel they can do something about
Now that being said i do believe in reasonable gun control there are certain people we should not make it easy for to get guns . There are certain places schools churches other places of worship hospitals that should be a gun free zone . but the problem at the root cause is not the gun

Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,111 times
Quote:

We have laws restricting and regulating the sale and consumption of alcohol to adults. We also have restrictions on freely selling alcohol in our homes and don't allow alcohol "shows" with sales to whomever we choose. We have tests and mandatory training periods for driving privileges.

We have laws against making explosives and acts of terrorism. We regulate and track any device created to create an explosion. Additionally, we monitor the sale of these items.

In essence, no one blames the gun. Although this is the simplistic, ignorant statement of so many gun lovers, it is never an argument used by those on the other side of the issue. Like alcohol and known explosives, we are simply asking for regulation. It is painfully obvious our current system isn't working. The onus is on gun lovers. If you want to own a gun, we simply ask for regulation. The better question would be: why are so many of you afraid you wouldn't be cleared for gun ownership by background checks and mental hygiene tests? If your true fear is you can't pass these checks, you probably should not own a gun!

Old 10-12-2015, 03:01 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:

Who blames the gun??? You need to get with the program - no one blames the gun. We all blame the shooters.

Blaming guns is different from banning guns. We blame the shooters, the solution is to ban guns. You don't seem to understand the difference.

When some junkie overdosed on heroine, do you say, "Let make heroine legal so everyone can do it!" or do you say, "Heroine is a bad drug, let's keep it illegal". ???

Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:

I don't know anyone who has ever blamed a gun. A gun is an inanimate object. It is a tool- like a hammer. I can kill someone with a gun, but I can also kill someone with a hammer. It's not the fault of the gun or the hammer.

I blame the gun laws when a disturbed young man who was kicked out of the military, at some point committed to a psychiatric hospital, and refused to take his prescribed medication, was able to have 14 guns in his personal possession just because he could.

I blame irresponsible gun owners who leave their guns easily accessible to children who either kill themselves or kill a friend or family member (intentionally or not).

What you folks don't seem to understand is that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Some people flat out should not have a gun or access to a gun.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:34 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,011,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
BTW, the 2nd amendment also includes the words "well regulated", which means we can have laws regulating firearms. That's all I'm asking for.
You might want to look up what the word regulated meant when the Constitution was written.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:03 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You might want to look up what the word regulated meant when the Constitution was written.
No freedom is absolute. Yell "fire" in a crowded theater to test this notion. While all gun violence cannot be stopped, my right to life trumps your absolute gun rights as individuals attempt to pick off my kids at school or kill me in the movies. Your rights end where mine begin, and regulation of firearms is not the same as banning firearms.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:19 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
The government has fighter jets and assault helicopters. And nuclear weapons. And RPGs. In short, their firepower is superior to that of any citizen. There's no way you or anyone else will be able to overcome this if it's ever an issue.

Yes, you should have a right to own a gun for personal and family protection, and to hunt. That's it. Automatic weapons with armor-piercing ammo aren't used for those purposes. Arguing otherwise makes you seem paranoid, fanatical, and unreasonable.

BTW, the 2nd amendment also includes the words "well regulated", which means we can have laws regulating firearms. That's all I'm asking for.
Sigh....

Both Russia and the US have spent decades in Afghanistan fighting people armed with little more firepower than what is available to citizens in the United States. Neither has managed to overpower the Afghani insurgents in that time.

Do you have any idea of how much effort and money is involved in purchasing an automatic weapon? Not to mention that they are nearly impossible to find on the market. When is the last time you heard of anyone using an automatic weapon in a crime?

Well-regulated, at the time of the writing of the Constitution, meant "in good working order." It had nothing to do with "regulation" as we know it today. Also, the part of the 2nd Amendment which protects the right to keep and bear arms has no mention of the term "well regulated".

Old 10-12-2015, 06:30 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
We have laws restricting and regulating the sale and consumption of alcohol to adults. We also have restrictions on freely selling alcohol in our homes and don't allow alcohol "shows" with sales to whomever we choose. We have tests and mandatory training periods for driving privileges.

We have laws against making explosives and acts of terrorism. We regulate and track any device created to create an explosion. Additionally, we monitor the sale of these items.

In essence, no one blames the gun. Although this is the simplistic, ignorant statement of so many gun lovers, it is never an argument used by those on the other side of the issue. Like alcohol and known explosives, we are simply asking for regulation. It is painfully obvious our current system isn't working. The onus is on gun lovers. If you want to own a gun, we simply ask for regulation. The better question would be: why are so many of you afraid you wouldn't be cleared for gun ownership by background checks and mental hygiene tests? If your true fear is you can't pass these checks, you probably should not own a gun!
Regarding centralized registration, that worked so well with the IRS scandal which targeted groups solely because the government (Obama) decided to use it for political purposes. The existing 36 gun laws already on the books do provide a vetting process to buy guns. If you want to develop another gun law that says if you're psychologically affected and were placed in a special California school then go ahead but mass registration will not screen gun owners.

The drivers test to screen for poor drivers is an example, at the STATE level, where government vetted skills is not error free. Federal run programs such as early criminal releases have a LOT of errors. Nobody should advocate for a national level agency responsible for vetting each and every gun owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies