Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a religion/belief system that is violent and a threat be banned in the USA?
Yes 24 47.06%
No 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course the atheist USSR was responsible for a few atrocities themselves. People will always find an excuse to kill other people.
But was the Soviet Union really defined by it's atheism? Was it doing what it did because there is no god? Do you see what I'm saying? To compare what a government did to what religion does doesn't really work for me. No doubt some of the worst atrocities ever were committed in the name of nationalism. The Nazis were nationalists. Hell, even some of the religious governments that do crazy crap throw in a flare of nationalism. But throwing state power into the mix strays from what my point was.

I wasn't referring to religious governments. Sure, the Vatican is technically a government but everything I touched on happened in modern times (though probably in the past too when it comes to child molesters) when the Vatican pretty much has no influence in the grand scheme of things. I was just referring to what religion does. You don't have to be a religious government to cause lasting mental trauma on someone for being gay or to justify rape because a god apparently said men are better.

And I'm sure, should you choose to respond to this, you'll just google some random happening where an atheist (with a mental disorder that went untreated probably) killed some religious people because there is no god, but what atheist brainwashing camps are out there? Any? Many? But you can find all kinds of fundamentalist Christian camps and gay conversion therapy camps in the US, which is very much psychological torture as far as I'm concerned. You hear fairly regularly about a gay kid thrown out by his parents because God told them to, I guess. How often do you hear about atheist parents kicking out kids who decided they've found Jesus? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I will tell you that when I google "atheist parent kicks out christian kid," all of the top results were off Christian parents kicking out kids who were openly atheist.

You tell me who's more of a problem?

And of course, because someone with thin skin will report this, I'm not saying all religious people are guilty of this. They aren't. But as a percentage of their own groups, crazy religious fanatics are doing monumentally more harm than atheist fanatics. And this has been the case for... well, pretty much always. And unless religion starts to change an adapt it will likely be that way until religion (as we know it) finally succumbs to humanity and dies away.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
"Muslim men stone their wives or daughters to death, behead them, bury them alive, strangle them, and/or shoot them at the rate of 10,000 annually. All of it legal according to the Koran!" - See more at: The Most Violent Religion On Earth

Old 10-17-2015, 10:46 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
But was the Soviet Union really defined by it's atheism? Was it doing what it did because there is no god? Do you see what I'm saying? To compare what a government did to what religion does doesn't really work for me. No doubt some of the worst atrocities ever were committed in the name of nationalism. The Nazis were nationalists. Hell, even some of the religious governments that do crazy crap throw in a flare of nationalism. But throwing state power into the mix strays from what my point was.

I wasn't referring to religious governments. Sure, the Vatican is technically a government but everything I touched on happened in modern times (though probably in the past too when it comes to child molesters) when the Vatican pretty much has no influence in the grand scheme of things. I was just referring to what religion does. You don't have to be a religious government to cause lasting mental trauma on someone for being gay or to justify rape because a god apparently said men are better.

And I'm sure, should you choose to respond to this, you'll just google some random happening where an atheist (with a mental disorder that went untreated probably) killed some religious people because there is no god, but what atheist brainwashing camps are out there? Any? Many? But you can find all kinds of fundamentalist Christian camps and gay conversion therapy camps in the US, which is very much psychological torture as far as I'm concerned. You hear fairly regularly about a gay kid thrown out by his parents because God told them to, I guess. How often do you hear about atheist parents kicking out kids who decided they've found Jesus? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I will tell you that when I google "atheist parent kicks out christian kid," all of the top results were off Christian parents kicking out kids who were openly atheist.

You tell me who's more of a problem?

And of course, because someone with thin skin will report this, I'm not saying all religious people are guilty of this. They aren't. But as a percentage of their own groups, crazy religious fanatics are doing monumentally more harm than atheist fanatics. And this has been the case for... well, pretty much always. And unless religion starts to change an adapt it will likely be that way until religion (as we know it) finally succumbs to humanity and dies away.
No, really what I am saying is that humans are inhumane. religious humans and non-humans alike. I think it is a stretch to argue the world would be a better place without religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies