Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 01:03 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
How about renaming it "Indigenous people day" and keeping the holiday?
Indigenous people? The really nice ones like human sacrificing Slavers like the Aztecs or Mayans or the much nicer ones further North who invented scalping

Somehow in some minds being conquered by a tribe up the street is better than being conquered by a Guido from Italy. Last I checked Dead is dead North American's could have been Conquered by the Aztecs. Imagine how much better it would be today in North America with the Aztecs running the show

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-13-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
I've always wondered: where do America/Columbus-hating progressives get the idea that "indigenous people" were peaceful little lambs until those dirty and diseased white Europeans arrived and turned civilized North America into slave-holding barbarianism? Historical revisionism isn't any better with a left-wing slant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
North American could have been Conquesred by the Aztecs. It would have been so much better
LOL.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:55 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I can't disagree more with the poster who compared him to astronauts. Astronauts were driven by a desire to explore and to know what's out there for the sake of knowledge and the experience of discovery. Columbus did it for money. He was hired by Spain to find a passage to Asia, and he found America instead.

"The voyages were funded by the Catholic King and Queen of Spain who wanted to colonize the New World and establish profitable trade routes to Asia."
Read more at What Are Some Facts About Christopher Columbus?

Old 10-13-2015, 02:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Indigenous people? The really nice ones like human sacrificing Slavers like the Aztecs or Mayans or the much nicer ones further North who invented scalping

Somehow in some minds being conquered by a tribe up the street is better than being conquered by a Guido from Italy. Last I checked Dead is dead North American's could have been Conquered by the Aztecs. Imagine how much better it would be today in North America with the Aztecs running the show
Well, just for comparison, there's been a Kenyan running things here for the past few years and that's what has us all in a hand basket headed straight to Hell...

Old 10-13-2015, 03:00 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
People try to blame President Obama for everything but fail to notice the GOP can't even find a speaker. Blame the republicans. History is what it is so get a grip. People have been lied to..

Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
i am spaniard and i wish we had more big things for Columbus day

Old 10-13-2015, 03:25 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, just for comparison, there's been a Kenyan running things here for the past few years and that's what has us all in a hand basket headed straight to Hell...
One must remember the only reason we have the Kenyan is because the Texan effed up so badly.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:28 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
One must remember the only reason we have the Kenyan is because the Texan effed up so badly.
That, and O is such a smooth talker. "Hope and change" is now "Hope for change"

Old 10-13-2015, 03:29 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Agreed!

I think he got the pits of things, taken home in chains on his last voyage, crucified in the present......and he probably wasn't that bad of a man.
Well, I suggest you do a quick google of him, heck just skim thru the wiki page about him & get back to us on how not bad of a man he was. I don't know much about him but I do know he wasn't a saint & you will too if you do just a teensy weensy bit of reading.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I can't disagree more with the poster who compared him to astronauts. Astronauts were driven by a desire to explore and to know what's out there for the sake of knowledge and the experience of discovery.

"The voyages were funded by the Catholic King and Queen of Spain who wanted to colonize the New World and establish profitable trade routes to Asia."
Read more at What Are Some Facts About Christopher Columbus?
With all respect for how you're seeing it, I see it way differently. Early astronauts may have been partly driven for the reasons you say. But I find it hard to believe they were impervious to the perks of long term fame and being painted as heroic in the "history" books. And yes, Columbus' empowered backers were not driven primarily by a desire "to explore and to know for the sake of knowledge and the experience of discovery" but neither are the backers of space exploration today. I think astronauts are more aware of this fact than we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies