Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Lots of self-hating in here. Fact is most invading peoples settle on the backs of the locals, it's reality. If you're proud of your country then by intellectual honesty you should be proud of the person who discovered this land for you, which is Christopher Columbus. Without him you have no United States, and the world is a very different place including exponentially more atrocities.

Columbus Day should be celebrated for giving us what we have today, early misdeeds notwithstanding
I don't understand why you say that. He didn't discover the land that became the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage...e_colon_en.svg

Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't understand why you say that. He didn't discover the land that became the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage...e_colon_en.svg
More splitting hairs, I guess the Caribbean isn't at all related to this continent

Old 10-15-2015, 03:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Right. but he just happened to have that Americus Vas Navigator along and ended up in America and not some guy named Cathay or Inidcus. No I think they all knew where they were going and what they were going to do when they got there.
Research is now casting doubt on the idea that Columbus was essentially an ambitious but broke nobody who somehow persuaded a queen that he could find a quick route to India -- and then got lost and stumbled on a new world. NJGOAT found links to some fascinating information that is based on the research. See his post #10 in the History thread called "Real story of Columbus voyages?"

Old 10-15-2015, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Research is now casting doubt on the idea that Columbus was essentially an ambitious but broke nobody who somehow persuaded a queen that he could find a quick route to India -- and then got lost and stumbled on a new world. NJGOAT found links to some fascinating information that is based on the research. See his post #10 in the History thread called "Real story of Columbus voyages?"
All these years we've paid homage to a "broke nobody" ?

History sure got white washed along the way didn't it ?

Old 10-15-2015, 04:20 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
How about renaming it "Indigenous people day" and keeping the holiday?
Haha! As if indigenous people didn't kill each other.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:35 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
More splitting hairs, I guess the Caribbean isn't at all related to this continent
For us to have a national holiday, I think it ought to have something to do with our nation, rather than the discovery of the Caribbean and South America.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:43 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
For us to have a national holiday, I think it ought to have something to do with our nation, rather than the discovery of the Caribbean and South America.
So, since our largest city was founded not by the Spanish, nor the English, nor for religious reasons, let's celebrate Dutch heritage day and make it all about commerce!

Old 10-15-2015, 04:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Well..... Germany is the most powerful country in the EU. Should they be proud of their Nazi past? I should give thanks for that guy? Really?
Based on this thread, I feel like in 400-500 years there will be a Hitler Day. Then when people bring up how disturbing it is that Hitler gets a national holiday, others will just say "thats just how people were back then." Because you know everyone back in 1492 was slaughtering everyone in sight, selling children as sex slaves, and starting an Atlantic slave trade. Everyone was trying to start their own slave trade (when they weren't busy dying from whatever disease they were being plagued with). Columbus was just the best and won the slave trade prize. What a winner that guy was, am I right?!

Old 10-15-2015, 04:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
You were home schooled, weren't you

Old 10-15-2015, 05:08 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Michele da Cuneo, Columbus' childhood friend from Savona, sailed with Columbus during the second voyage and wrote...in a letter that Columbus had provided one of the captured indigenous women to him. He wrote, "While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked—as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure with her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. But—to cut a long story short—I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. Eventually we came to such terms, I assure you, that you would have thought that she had been brought up in a school for whores."

Hard to prove? I hardly think so.

I'm about as far from lefty/liberal as you can get without getting into total anarchy, and I don't think CC should be a holiday we celebrate here.

Columbus was imprisoned for brutality and tyranny in his own time, never mind the considerations of the current time. He was later released but stripped of his titles and deprived of the bulk of the [expected] profits he was to receive. He was a sadistic, murderous, thieving [censored] who doesn't deserve any honors. He was not, and is not, a 'hero'.

Columbus never set foot on North America, which he wasn't looking for anyway. He was totally screwed up and his math was wrong despite numerous people who attempted to correct his misconceptions. He was repeatedly denied financing until he finally conned Ferdinand into it. He was lost, and until the day he died he *still* believed he had found India...though no one else did.

Columbus was a dope, and a [censored], and he doesn't deserve a holiday. He should *not* be celebrated. He should not be dropped from the history books, but more accurately depicted as the murderous scum he was.

God damn he was a sicko!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies