Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Army Traitor Bowe Bergdahl Go To Prison
Yes One Year 6 5.08%
Yes Five Years 10 8.47%
Yes Ten or More years 66 55.93%
No Prison 10 8.47%
No Prison. He already spent his time in hell. 11 9.32%
No Prison He's a hero. 5 4.24%
other 9 7.63%
not sure 1 0.85%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,344,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He was discharged from the Coast Guard after a few weeks in addition to his actions in Afghanistan, you don't think he had issues?

I would be rather annoyed also if I had to search for someone in 100+ heat for 45 days, don't blame them one bit.

No question that Bergdahl's concerns and actions were unfounded, he does not appear to be normal. Already stated but someone that marches 20 miles through enemy territory without a rifle is not sane.

Fairly low bar for enlistees back in 2008, they needed bodies.

The Significance of Bergdahl
I don't mean to be annoying, but bolded is exactly why I have problems with.

How do we know that Bergdahl is not "normal"? As a matter of fact, use of the insanity defense may be rare because it is very hard to prove in civilian criminal cases.

Secondly, several online articles have stated that Bergdahl expressed desire of joining the Taliban, so it makes sense that he traveled through enemy territory without a rifle (just to show his loyalty to the Taliban in order to gain trust.) Like those who joined ISIL, they didn't carry rifle either, lol no?

Timothy McVeigh, was a former Army sergeant and decorated Gulf War veteran, who can guarantee that he did not really suffer from PTSD or major mental illnesses? He was executed by lethal injection. You can also argue Timothy McVeigh was not "normal".

He doesn't appear to be normal is not a valid defense.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-12-2015 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,344,331 times
Quote:
He was discharged from the Coast Guard after a few weeks in addition to his actions in Afghanistan, you don't think he had issues?]
Didn’t his father, at least, know about his Coast Guard discharge in 2006? If so, why did he respond to Bowe’s last e-mail from Afghanistan hinting at doing something dramatic (Michael Hastings said it sounded like a suicide note) by telling him “OBEY YOUR CONSCIENCE”? The proper response to someone with a history of mental trouble who’s in crisis is “Go see the counselor ASAP,” no?

hehehehe

Old 10-12-2015, 11:05 PM

265 posts, read 190,946 times
When was the last time Michelle got a smile like this...
YOU CAN BE A DESERTER TOO IF YOUR MOTHER HELD HIS HAND
Obama Meets Bowe Bergdahl's Mother And Falls...
Obama Meets Bowe Bergdahl's Mother And Falls In Love
There are more pictures at the above link.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:42 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,011,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
You say that with the confidence of a man who knows obama has already put the fix in, to save both he and his followers from any more embarrassed than they have already suffered.
Why should Obama be embarrassed? He didn't do anything wrong.

I said nothing but the facts. If he's found guilty, he should be sentenced in accordance to UCMJ sentencing guidelines. What's so profound about that that would make you believe that I know that Obama put the fix in?

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-13-2015 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-13-2015, 02:43 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,011,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVietnamVeteran View Post
When was the last time Michelle got a smile like this...
YOU CAN BE A DESERTER TOO IF YOUR MOTHER HELD HIS HAND
Obama Meets Bowe Bergdahl's Mother And Falls...
Obama Meets Bowe Bergdahl's Mother And Falls In Love
There are more pictures at the above link.
Umm...we're supposed to hate Bergdahl's MOTHER?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:09 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,075,557 times
Quote:
So the crux of the argument is that you don't like Obama so Bergdahl must suffer.

Agree that the White House Rose Garden was a mistake, taking it out on Bergdahl makes no sense.
What? Bergdahl sent his personal possessions home before leaving his post. He's a deserter and should face the penalty.
Who's side are you on?

Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 AM

56,869 posts, read 25,799,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
What? Bergdahl sent his personal possessions home before leaving his post. He's a deserter and should face the penalty.
Who's side are you on?

I am not on anyones side just my opinion. It does seem this single deserter received an inordinate amout of attention because of the exchange and the Rose Garden affair. That's not his fault.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:53 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,315,664 times
I'm going to trust the testimony of the guys who served with him. They say he deserted, and since they were the only one's there at the time, I believe them. Listen, infantrymen don't roll over on one another... if his fellow teammates say this guy bailed on them, then he almost certainly did. Politics aside, I trust the grunts.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 AM

56,869 posts, read 25,799,606 times
This should make some happy on here.

McCain couldn't even wait for the verdict

Quote:
A day after the disclosure of an Army lawyer’s recommendation that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl face neither jail time nor punitive discharge for walking off his Army outpost in Afghanistan in 2009, Senator John McCain, chairman of the committee that oversees promotions of senior military commanders, said that Sergeant Bergdahl was “clearly a deserter” and that he would convene a hearing if the sergeant was not punished
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/us...wyer.html?_r=0

Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,010,396 times
Quote:
So the crux of the argument is that you don't like Obama so Bergdahl must suffer.

Agree that the White House Rose Garden was a mistake, taking it out on Bergdahl makes no sense.
I think you're misunderstanding.
The problem is many see this as politically influenced. Since O traded him for the five terrorists, in addition to the ridiculous rose garden ceremony, many believe the army higher ups were told how this needs to pan out so that the administration doesn't look so foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies