Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times

Advertisements

I'll admit, I'm definitely a gun guy. I've owned dozens over the years. For the longest time, I've been against any form of gun control. I still pretty much am against gun control.

That being said, I think that... If all gun and ammo sales were banned and all guns had to be turned in, crime would increase for a short time (because only the criminals would have guns and citizens couldn't defend themselves), then plummet after a few years (maybe 5-10). If law abiding citizens do not own guns, cannot purchase guns. and cannot purchase ammo or any reloading supplies, that prevents criminals from stealing guns, and also prevents them from getting their girlfriend or whoever else can pass a background check to buy them. Even if the thugs have a gun, they will eventually run out of ammo (or run out of luck by being caught by the cops). There will still be guns out there, but at least 75% of the crimes caused by guns will be eliminated.

The likelihood of a complete gun ban is slim to none, but it's probably the only thing that will help with gun crime in the country.

Now I'm not saying this is at all a good idea, these are just my thoughts. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.
Open borders?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Problem is the 'gun' crime will morph into some other form of even more efficient violent crime. A walmart clock and a gallon of gasoline or a computer class in explosives.

the evil that lurks in the hearts of the criminals will not go away.

Street gang rules have been replacing law in many communities. That needs to be addressed.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:30 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
How about making it illegal for convicted felons to own a gun?
How about adding years to the sentence of someone committing a crime with a gun?
How about making it illegal to buy a gun if you are under the influance or use illegal drugs?
How about making it illegal to commit crimes?

So far the only "solutions" offered by posters like you is to ban firearms, and as seen in other countries, that usually leads to government tyranny, and the crime rates stay about the same or higher than when the population could own firearms privately.

The problem still boils down to personal responsibilty of the individual perpetuating the crime. It isn't the tool, it's the person using it.

I don't see where penalizing the law abiding for the actions of criminals is fair or just.

You can phrase your argument any way you want, but it still comes up the same, ban firearms for the law-abiding and make it easier for the criminal to victimize the innocent.

That logic DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
I'll admit, I'm definitely a gun guy. I've owned dozens over the years. For the longest time, I've been against any form of gun control. I still pretty much am against gun control.

That being said, I think that... If all gun and ammo sales were banned and all guns had to be turned in, crime would increase for a short time (because only the criminals would have guns and citizens couldn't defend themselves), then plummet after a few years (maybe 5-10). If law abiding citizens do not own guns, cannot purchase guns. and cannot purchase ammo or any reloading supplies, that prevents criminals from stealing guns, and also prevents them from getting their girlfriend or whoever else can pass a background check to buy them. Even if the thugs have a gun, they will eventually run out of ammo (or run out of luck by being caught by the cops). There will still be guns out there, but at least 75% of the crimes caused by guns will be eliminated.

The likelihood of a complete gun ban is slim to none, but it's probably the only thing that will help with gun crime in the country.

Now I'm not saying this is at all a good idea, these are just my thoughts. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.
Your fundamental premise is simply wrong even though it's the basis for the Utopian anti-gun view, and countries with very strict gun control laws prove it. I had a colleague from a country where it was essentially impossible for a private citizen to own a hand gun and very difficult to get a permit for a long gun. Only law enforcement and the military are allowed guns. Yet, there's a lot of armed crime there. I asked my colleague where criminals got their guns and he said it was from law enforcement and the military, they also don't seem to have a problem getting ammunition. One of the results is that armed criminals walk into a place and do whatever they want because they know there will be no resistance. Upon reaching this country, one of the first thing my colleague did was buy a gun, said he felt a lot better for it.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Your fundamental premise is simply wrong even though it's the basis for the Utopian anti-gun view, and countries with very strict gun control laws prove it. I had a colleague from a country where it was essentially impossible for a private citizen to own a hand gun and very difficult to get a permit for a long gun. Only law enforcement and the military are allowed guns. Yet, there's a lot of armed crime there. I asked my colleague where criminals got their guns and he said it was from law enforcement and the military, they also don't seem to have a problem getting ammunition. One of the results is that armed criminals walk into a place and do whatever they want because they know there will be no resistance. Upon reaching this country, one of the first thing my colleague did was buy a gun, said he felt a lot better for it.
Could you name the country?

I've lived in France and Germany. In both places, citizens can own guns, but it's very regulated. I think there was maybe one or two gun crimes per year in the region I lived in. I never feared being shot or robbed.

The criminal element is different in those places, but potential criminals also didn't have easy access to firearms.

Here in the US, I pretty much have to conceal carry everywhere.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
Could you name the country?

I've lived in France and Germany. In both places, citizens can own guns, but it's very regulated. I think there was maybe one or two gun crimes per year in the region I lived in. I never feared being shot or robbed.

The criminal element is different in those places, but potential criminals also didn't have easy access to firearms.

Here in the US, I pretty much have to conceal carry everywhere.
Brazil

I have also lived in countries with pretty strict gun control and I chose to comply and always had a weapon of some kind. I will say that I knew people that said they could get me anything I wanted illegally, up to and including fully automatic weapons if I wanted. I won't say I was particularly concerned about gun violence but I was concerned about violence in general and there was quite a bit of it. In this country it's mostly a cultural issue and if we removed inner city drug and gang violence our levels would be the equivalent of Denmark or Belgium. It's not the guns, it's certain segments of society. It does look to me like Europe is trending toward more violence and more violence with firearms as a result of their non-integrated immigrant population which doesn't seem to have much of a problem getting guns when they want to.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Brazil
Aaah, that makes sense. Brazil has many of the problems that the US has with crime and race.

Tightly controlled firearms in France, Germany, Australia, etc seem to work well. I guess it all depends on the country.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:46 PM

335 posts, read 376,636 times
Quote:

You forgot something. There is a market called the black market and you can get what ever you want. It has existed since ancient Babylon and still exists to this day. Hint: you can buy drugs there. Now ask yourself what would gun control do.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
You forgot something. There is a market called the black market and you can get what ever you want. It has existed since ancient Babylon and still exists to this day. Hint: you can buy drugs there. Now ask yourself what would gun control do.
The black market does exist, but the majority of the crimes committed using firearms probably didn't come from the black market. They were probably bought legally or stolen from someone who bought it legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies