Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Because gay dads represent such a small percent of the population that it's a waste of advertising dollars.
This is an odd comment.

So if, say, 7Up runs an ad featuring fit, young people playing volleyball on the beach, that means middle-aged people whose main exercise is searching for the remote shouldn't/wouldn't buy 7Up?

I think you don't know how advertising works.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
People still watch commercials?

I haven't had any television service for over five years now. I recently signed up for a "SlingTV" trial and was disgusted with the amount of time they allocate for commercials. I decided not to continue. Looks like Netflix will be it for me.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Smart move for Campbell's. Make a "pro-gay" commercial, offend conservatives, conservatives take to Internet in an uproar and Campbell's cashes in on the controversy. It's a win, win.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:21 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Smart move for Campbell's. Make a "pro-gay" commercial, offend conservatives, conservatives take to Internet in an uproar and Campbell's cashes in on the controversy. It's a win, win.
Definitely.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This is an odd comment.

So if, say, 7Up runs an ad featuring fit, young people playing volleyball on the beach, that means middle-aged people whose main exercise is searching for the remote shouldn't/wouldn't buy 7Up?

I think you don't know how advertising works.
Middle age people were once young and may think of recapturing their youth when they see the adds. Highly unlikely people are going to look at two gay men with children and think "I remember back when I was young and gay"

There are very few gay men, and even fewer gay men with children. Out of those most had children with a woman before they came out, so that leaves us with a very very small # of gay men that went out of their way to adopt children to create a "Normal" family. Not exactly a great target group

Old 10-14-2015, 04:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Campbells Soup Ad Shows Gay Dads Playing Darth Vader

I saw this last night watching one of my shows on DVR.

This is my op.

I don't care how you want to sell soup. I don't care if you want to show the changing faces of families.
Yes you do. Why else would you post about it here?

Old 10-14-2015, 05:00 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Because gay dads represent such a small percent of the population that it's a waste of advertising dollars.
No it's not. Gay marriage and gay rights sell and are good business practices.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Middle age people were once young and may think of recapturing their youth when they see the adds. Highly unlikely people are going to look at two gay men with children and think "I remember back when I was young and gay"

There are very few gay men, and even fewer gay men with children. Out of those most had children with a woman before they came out, so that leaves us with a very very small # of gay men that went out of their way to adopt children to create a "Normal" family. Not exactly a great target group
You still don't understand advertising.

It's a question of creating and/or playing on positive associations. I can see why a stodgy soup company might want to liven up its image by an ad featuring a gay couple with kids.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:12 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I am just wondering how many new customers they will gain vs. how many old customers they will lose -- or if this will not cause much of a change in their customer base at all, which is what I predict will happen.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You still don't understand advertising.

It's a question of creating and/or playing on positive associations. I can see why a stodgy soup company might want to liven up its image by an ad featuring a gay couple with kids.
Campbell's Soup has only 46% of the market share and losing more every year.
They are trying to make themselves "modern" by modern standards of involving social issues in their advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies