Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 11:19 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
If someone steals your car and kills someone with it, should you be liable as well?
If you leave your vehicle unlocked, and/or with the keys in it, and/or running … and a crook steals it and uses it to commit an offense … then, yes, you will have negligently contributed to a crime and you ARE liable ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:29 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
If you leave your vehicle unlocked, and/or with the keys in it, and/or running … and a crook steals it and uses it to commit an offense … then, yes, you will have negligently contributed to a crime and you ARE liable ...
Nonsense. Utter nonsense. There is no law that allows one person to steal the car of another and then put the responsibility of the crime onto the person with the loss.

Such ignorance of what constitutes theft is simply amazing.

In that warped view, the person who doesn't lock their front door contributes AND is liabile for the murderer who comes in and kills them.

Typical liberal thinking, blame everyone else but the people ccommitting the crimes. How predictable.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:33 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
They own guns to protect themselves from the gun nuts.
Seeing as how alot of gun owners own guns to protect themselves from the vast minority of gun owners who are nuts, it seems we have something in common.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
With that mind set, if someone carjacks your car while you are in it, you should also be held liable for what happens. Would you be happy with that as well?

Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Nonsense. Utter nonsense. There is no law that allows one person to steal the car of another and then put the responsibility of the crime onto the person with the loss.

Such ignorance of what constitutes theft is simply amazing.

In that warped view, the person who doesn't lock their front door contributes AND is liabile for the murderer who comes in and kills them.

Typical liberal thinking, blame everyone else but the people ccommitting the crimes. How predictable.
Sorry, kiddo … But that is the law …
People can be held responsible for the results of their irresponsible acts ...

Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
All I want is that gun owner takes "full" responsibility of their guns. If someone is killed using your gun then you are liable. And yes instances will include like left the gun unsecured, stolen, sold it to someone on CL and so on. Unless you get rid of it in such a way that it can't be use - whatever it does IS your responsibility. Simply saying oh "it was an accident" doesn't cut it.
Strange. Do you support the prosecution AND imprisonment of the parents of children who ingest household products and die? If someone takes a rake from the front lawn of a person and then uses that rake to kill someone, is the owner if the rake liable because they went into the house to pee and didn't put the rake away in the backyard tool shed?

Rediculous.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Lets see this law.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
That is all you have? Prove your point as you used in that specific example. Just one. You're wrong and now as usual you try to expand the example to different ones.

Show one example where a person who left their car unlocked and running was held liable for the crimes committed by the person who stole that vehicle. Dont play games, use your example.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:46 AM

252 posts, read 275,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
How do I know? Same way I do not know why would anyone keep their gun lockers unsecured when kids are around??

By this I mean bad owners MUST be punished. But often their stuff fall into "accident" category. And these happen too often to be called accidents. I have nothing against guns and I am sure they are useful. For example if I lived in the middle of nowhere I'll have one or two as well. But then there are some who believe they should be able to grab it in a fraction of second otherwise what is the use of it. This essentially means gun is accessible to kids and such if there are some. And then there are some who will teach (for no real reason) their kids how to load a gun and such.
What's it your business if I want to show my kid, under my close supervision, how to load a gun and shoot it?

Old 10-16-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Lets see this law.
Google: liability due to negligence vehicle left unattended ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies