Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 06:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Maybe because people want responsible gun ownership. Unstable people are getting too many guns. It's harder to get a drivers license. Gun ownership isn't a right if your certifiable. Common sense is king....
Then anti-gun folks should have "Common Sense" too, but we already know they don't and many are Certifiable. All one has to do is look around. Who in their right minds can have a problem with "Scary Looking Guns." .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:57 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Google: Kao Xiong June 27, 2013
Still waiting for you to explain what you would have happen in my scenario.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Why does a gun have to be discharged ro garner the maximum penalty? Where is the demand for the penalty only for use?

All that does is incentivize the criminal to use a gun but not discharge it. Does the person on the other end know the criminal does not intent to shoot? That is corrupted thinking on the part if gun control groups and here is why:Were the maximum penalty to be imposed for any use, discharge or not, there might be a marked reduction in the use of a gun where the criminal dis not intend to shoot. What would happen then? Fewer gun related crimes and that actually presents a problem for the law sponsors.
If a law as I described were shown to reduce gun related crimes then it would reduce the percieved need for other laws. Why enact a law that could reduce gun related crimes where a gun wasn't discharged if they could be used to support yet more laws with a more restrictive goal in mind?
I already posted the penalty for you...
"Robbery in the first degree is punishable by imprisonment for three to nine years. The use of a firearm* (armed robbery) in California adds an additional 10 years to the defendant's sentence. If the offender is a felon, or belongs to a gang, or has previous 'strike' offenses the penalty could double or triple what I just stated.
(use of firearm means having one present when the crime is committed).

19 years is hardly an incentive toward bringing a gun to a robbery... I'm not sure what your problem with this is, don't you agree that firing a gun is more serious than merely having one in your possession?

Old 10-16-2015, 07:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
you got gun control people that want felons and looney tune, not to have guns, and then you have anti guns that want nobody to have any guns but the felons

Old 10-16-2015, 07:10 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
So, the law worked? What are you bitching about?

Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Remember this link?

3-year-old boy killed in drive-by shooting identified

You said it could have been worse if they were killed with a knife....

Old 10-16-2015, 07:17 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Nope, Wrong, its not a "Good Idea," Its a "Feel Good" idea, that will not serve any purpose. Knowing it was stolen before it was used is worthless knowledge and prevents nothing. (unless you see what no one else sees) When the gun is used in a Crime, and "IF" its recovered, which is rare, the Police will find its been stolen when and if, they trace it back to the buyer. At this point they don't know any more than they did when they started. That makes it a worthless "feel good" Law that wastes a lot of time and paper, yet does nothing. Straw purchasing is not as common as Anti-Gun Nuts want you to think. Its just more Propaganda to instill fear in people. Criminals can buy guns without finding a buyer that may later turn them in.
I'm not anti-gun, my husband and I both own guns. I don't think you have a clue as to how often guns are acquired through straw purchases. And why are you so opposed to it, don't you think most honest, law abiding people would report their missing or stolen firearms?
Quote:
Using a scripted telephone interview, we screened a sample of licensed retailers in California to assess their willingness to participate in the surrogate or “straw” purchase of a handgun; such purchases are illegal under federal law. Of 149 retailers who provided a response, 30 (20.1%) agreed to participate. In multivariate analysis, pawnbrokers were more likely to agree than were gun dealers (odds ratio 6.58, 95% confidence interval 1.99–21.71).

A much less expensive approach is to solicit participation in an illegal act, such as a straw purchase, by telephone. Sorenson and Vittes used this technique to assess 120 licensed gun retailers, selected from an Internet business directory, in 20 large cities across the country.17 Of the 40 retailers who were told that “my girl/boyfriend needs me to buy her/him a handgun,” 21 (52.5%) agreed to make the sale.Firearm Retailers

Old 10-16-2015, 07:23 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not anti-gun, my husband and I both own guns. I don't think you have a clue as to how often guns are acquired through straw purchases. And why are you so opposed to it, don't you think most honest, law abiding people would report their missing or stolen firearms?
And most do report their guns stolen. However, how does that prevent a crime?

Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, the law worked? What are you bitching about?
The child is dead … a martyr to the Gun Nut fascination with "guns as defense of the home and family" ...

Old 10-16-2015, 07:37 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Just how does someone who steals a gun get impacted by any laws regarding straw purchases of guns? Even in the much publicised case recently where an underage thug used a straw purchaser, who in their right mind believes that criminal would not otherwise obtain a gun?

It is a fact that most criminals do not go to gun dealers to get guns, only the completely ignorant ones. No law can stop a person from using the straw purchaser scheme to get a gun.

If anyone can explain how any law stops a straw purchase, lets hear it otherwise it is more of the same, a law just to feel good about making a law.

Like that moron Newsome in California saying he's afraid for his barely in school children because of the shooting in Oregon. The man lives in California in an exclusive community, his kids would never attend public school and he has state provided armed body guards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies