Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,542,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Rggr-

And talk radio hosts don't control the topic and direction of the conversation on their shows - and "dittoheads" don't accept the story the way Rush presents it?
Yes, the "dittoheads" do that. However there seems to be a perception that the majority of listeners are "dittoheads." I don't disagree that they have an influence, but I do disagree about the amount of influence. For example, it doesn't surprise me or mean anything too me that Limbaugh has not been able to sway people from McCain.

As for the topics, they do control topic and direction to a point. If you listen, the majortity of the conversations start in response to what has been reported in the MSM.

Quote:
I know several people who were swayed by conservative talk radio back during it's hayday. Plenty of folks are able to be convinced (Hitler is proof of that) over to a particular point of view. True, the core of right-wing talk radio listeners are folks who lean to the right anyway, but folks in the middle who tune in can (and are sometimes) pulled in that direction. After all, if you listen to someone continually harp on a subject (or group of subjects) long enough and it's not unusual to come around to that point of view yourself - either that or be completely turned off.
I agree with you on this point. I would also say that the amount of influence is probably not near the amount of influence that tv talk show hosts have simply because of numbers.

Quote:
The other thing that conservative talk radio did very well, was energizing the base, firing them up and getting them to get out and vote. I think in this regards they played a huge part in the Republican victories during the 1990's and 2000.
I would not disagree with that.

Quote:
So yeah, I think that conservative talk radio was very influentual (not nearly so much now though as the mood of the country is changing away from their particular point of view).

Ken
Wouldn't that suggest that perhaps they aren't as influential as it may have seemed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,355,292 times
Quote:
The other thing that conservative talk radio did very well, was energizing the base, firing them up and getting them to get out and vote. I think in this regards they played a huge part in the Republican victories during the 1990's and 2000.
You mean those "Republican victories during the 1990's" that got Clinton elected in 1992 and reelected in 1996, and lost Republican seats in both the House and Senate in 1998? So much for talk radio's imaginary influence.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Wouldn't that suggthat perhaps they aren't as influential as it may have seemed?
Rggr -

I don't know. It would probably depend on whether or not their number of listeners has decreased. If their number of listeners are the same then you may be right - that in spite of listening to them folks are voting otherwise anyway. If however their audience is down then clearly folks are just not interested in them anymore and thus unable to be potentially swayed - and thereby lending credence to the idea that they have a lot of influence on those who listen to them.

Ken

Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You mean those "Republican victories during the 1990's" that got Clinton elected in 1992 and reelected in 1996, and lost Republican seats in both the House and Senate in 1998? So much for talk radio's imaginary influence.
No, I mean the control of Congress that the Republicans achieved in 1994 and held on to until recently. Seats may come and go, but control of Congress is what counts in that arena since it gives you control of the various commitees.

Clintons' re-election was simply a reflection of his personal popularity in the country (this in SPITE of right-wing radio).

Ken

Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
No, I mean the control of Congress that the Republicans achieved in 1994 and held on to until recently. Seats may come and go, but control of Congress is what counts in that arena since it gives you control of the various commitees.

Clintons' re-election was simply a reflection of his personal popularity in the country (this in SPITE of right-wing radio).

Ken
The GOP did hold on to control of the House from 1994 until 2006, but lost control of the Senate in 2001 until 2003, and again in 2006. Those "Republican victories" you refer to seem to be far and few between, but somehow talk radio is suppose to have been what influenced them?

The number of talk radio listeners have doubled since 1990, yet these talk radio hosts with all their influence couldn't keep the Democrats from electing a President twice during the 1990s, or taking over the Senate in 2001 to 2003, or in 2006. Please remind me again, where is all this influence you seem to think talk radio had at one point?

This whole thread about talk radio losing influence, which they never had in the first place, is a canard manufactured by the MSM (talk radio's biggest competitor) and regurgitated here.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM

So, do you have some stats indicating that "number of talk radio listeners have doubled since 1990"?

Ken

Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
So, do you have some stats indicating that "number of talk radio listeners have doubled since 1990"?

Ken
My three primary sources are:

Current.org | Pubradio hits plateau in audience growth, 2005 (http://www.current.org/audience/aud0520radio.shtml - broken link)
2005 Annual Report: Radio/Audience (http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.com/2005/printable_radio_audience.asp - broken link)
Thursday

I also noticed that you didn't answer any of my question. "Please remind me again, where is all this influence you seem to think talk radio had at one point?" Before you can make the claim that talk radio lost influence, you have to demonstrate where they had the influence to lose. So far nobody has been able to show where talk radio has influenced anyone.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
My three primary sources are:

Current.org | Pubradio hits plateau in audience growth, 2005 (http://www.current.org/audience/aud0520radio.shtml - broken link)
2005 Annual Report: Radio/Audience (http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.com/2005/printable_radio_audience.asp - broken link)
Thursday

I also noticed that you didn't answer any of my question. "Please remind me again, where is all this influence you seem to think talk radio had at one point?" Before you can make the claim that talk radio lost influence, you have to demonstrate where they had the influence to lose. So far nobody has been able to show where talk radio has influenced anyone.

There's a lot of verbage in those links but I don't see anywhere where it backs up what up your claim (about conservative talk radio growing). The only numbers I see relating to a doubling of talk radio listeners looks to me like it is referring to NPR - which is certainly NOT a right-wing radio network (right wing folks consider it left-wing) - which interesting enough goes right along with the growing strength of the Democrats.

I'd like to see some conservative talk radio numbers to see if it really has grown - or (as I suspect) that their numbers are down.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 01-31-2008 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,675,435 times
Default The Biggest Loser May Be TALK RADIO!!

It appears that talk radio, after 2 decades of non stop right wing extremist talk, may have finally met its match that will eventually be its decline. It was, for many years, only the liberals that hated talk radio. It was at least partially responsible for the losses suffered by Democrats in the past 2 elections. Republicans and conservatives (often but not now one in the same) loved talk radio! It was basically a 24/7 non stop political ad for them and their causes. That is why they fought tooth and nail against restoring the Fairness Doctrine which required stations to give time for response to what the host said on the air.
Oh how things have changed! Republicans were already furious at talk radio for derailing some of the pet projects like the "Bridge to Nowhere" and they are also still fuming about how talk radio derailed their immigration amnesty proposal. As you recall Sen Trent Lott (R Pookeville) stated that "talk radio is ruining the country and we are gonna do something about that".
Now the talk show host are all trying to skin John McCain for not being "conservative" enought for their taste. This will only anger the GOP more- especially if McCain gets whupped in November (I think he will). When you are hated and feared by both sides, only one thing can happen. I predict that the next Congress or FCC will reinstate the Fairness Doctrine.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,118,505 times
I won't cry if the right wing extremist nuts go off the air due to lack of interest. I quit listening to them many years ago. They simply serve to polarize people.

Once they run out of "real" topics to talk about, they venture off into other areas that are of marginal interest and try to create a ruckus again. That's probably at least part of what has done them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies