Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 04:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
AZ is only #47. Why not go after the other 4 states worse than AZ ?
Because I live in AZ...

But I'm glad there are a whole 4 states worse of than us. But most of the state's below us are also Republican voting states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 04:23 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Last week, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey signed a budget that cuts K-12 funding by $113 million (5 percent), university funding by $99 million (13 percent) and eliminates community college funding for Maricopa and Pima community colleges.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:53 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes we are.

I was born in 85, everyday I feel I am the stupidest person on earth.
Yep. Somehow magically the minute anyone was born after 1980 everyone's IQ dropped an average of 30 points.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Last week, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey signed a budget that cuts K-12 funding by $113 million (5 percent), university funding by $99 million (13 percent) and eliminates community college funding for Maricopa and Pima community colleges.
They do realize the reason that Arizona cannot attract jobs is because of problems like this? This is why I didn't vote Ducey.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Because I live in AZ...

But I'm glad there are a whole 4 states worse of than us. But most of the state's below us are also Republican voting states
Failing schools is more the demographic of the student population and not the political affiliation of the Governor.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:17 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Republicans are not educators but in Arizona they control education.
Could be a very good thing. Common Core is losing support nationwide, and especially in Massachusetts where scores have declined since CC was adopted. Dropping CC will be on the ballot in Massachusetts in 2016. Parents will get to vote on it.

Quote:
As I mentioned, Arizona is high on charter schools but the problem is there just isn't enough seats to fully take all the students out of "crappy public schools." Some are trapped if there aren't enough vouchers to go around (and there aren't.)
Let them go to private schools with the vouchers, then.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:17 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Failing schools is more the demographic of the student population and not the political affiliation of the Governor.
That's not true.

You're missing the point but that's okay. Our state is the poster child for education mismanagement. It's all readily available and sad at the same time. It has everything to do with our elected officials. Here at least.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
That sounds like the whole how things are taught rather than what. If we teach kids for tests, they wont exactly learn things.
That makes no sense. If kids were taught for the test, they wouldn't do so badly on it. College entrance exam prep is a big money industry, and they actually do yield better test scores. Clearly, teaching to the test is NOT what's going on, and students still aren't learning much on top of that.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
This sounds not like the problem of common core but the removal of tracking from schools. But cool story bro...
Common Core is one-size-fits-all, so... no tracking. It's doomed to be yet another public schools education failure for that reason alone.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Could be a very good thing. Common Core is losing support nationwide, and especially in Massachusetts where scores have declined since CC was adopted. Dropping CC will be on the ballot in Massachusetts in 2016. Parents will get to vote on it.
Common core isn't the problem, it is a symptom. The problem is people don't want to cure the disease. We are quick to say common core isn't the answer but get stumped on what should replace it.

Quote:
Let them go to private schools with the vouchers, then.
And if there isn't room or availability of private schools? They are stuck in the public schools. I know students who moved schools through the program that I work with. Some moved or some are on the borders between zoning. What if the private schools "near" have no accessibility?

Quote:
That makes no sense. If kids were taught for the test, they wouldn't do so badly on it. College entrance exam prep is a big money industry, and they actually do yield better test scores. Clearly, teaching to the test is NOT what's going on, and students still aren't learning much on top of that.
You didn't get the point, did you? I was stating how standardized testing has no true value. New York had standardized testing LONG before common core testing. They taught to the test but knowledge was not really retained. Now students are not passing tests that they are taught for, they won't retain what they weren't taught.

Quote:
Common Core is one-size-fits-all, so... no tracking. It's doomed to be yet another public schools education failure for that reason alone.
Tracking was gone long before common core standards were enacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies