Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I worked in education. You know what drove us into the ground? Republican budget cuts on education.
And they are pushing to make more of those where I live. It's like they won't be satisfied until they have driven public education into the ground. Such is their hatred for teachers unions and for awful things such as evolution, global warming, atheism, multiculturalism, positive self-images, new math, whole word language instruction, vaccinations, turf athletic fields, and on and on and on and on and on...

Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
It looks like some bitter people have never gotten over the old election results. Lying? Then look at the Republicans who never take responsibility for not being able to govern. Some jaded people think if they're having a bad day it's Obamas fault.
Look at how your village idiot George Bush left this country before Obama took over. We almost lost our auto industry and were bordering on disaster. Yes, he also had a terrorist attack on his watch (9/11) but he kept us safe? What a crock. I saw what you saw on tv. Bush looked like a scared rabbit at that school he was visiting. When he was told we were attacked.
Quit watching so much Republican news. (Faux)

Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 AM

714 posts, read 747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Very sad seeing some of the replies on this thread!!!

I think Obamacare is ultimately what caused this for the school and its sad

Of course you think that, even though it's been factually disproven.

Amazing how people hear something bad with Obama's name thrown in and just believe it. F*** looking into the issue or using common sense, just eat it up.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
All employees should have healthcare, it’s nothing new. However to blame the Affordable Care Act isn’t correct. Why an employer didn’t provide it themselves should be the issue, looks like poor management and control of the school tax base. People need to care enough about their teachers and employees at the school to have healthcare available for them.

The question should be why is health insurance and healthcare so costly and profitable for those in the industry? Can you say “profit” and overpaid executives at the top. Many hospitals use to be non-profit at one time in history.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:56 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Two words: McCain and Palin.

We have otherwise been in increasingly desperate need of national health care systems for about a hundred years. Other developed countries have all gone down that road, and they have all left us in the dust with their better overall health care at lower overall costs. We had been paying up to twice as much for care that was often the worst in the developed world. The for-profit, fee-for-service model became an indefensible disaster. Many had tried and failed to reform it in the past. Obama tried and succeeded.
I have no doubt Obamacare increased costs - it's increased mine and for most folks I know. Still, many of these counties are in decline. Schools need to be consolidated. Many are old are poorly maintained. The community is averse to closing any school, so costs pile up. It's no wonder there are problems.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:07 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
And they are pushing to make more of those where I live. It's like they [Republicans] won't be satisfied until they have driven public education into the ground. Such is their hatred for teachers unions and for awful things such as evolution, global warming, atheism, multiculturalism, positive self-images, new math, whole word language instruction, vaccinations, turf athletic fields, and on and on and on and on and on...
You seem to be very poorly informed. What makes you think that all Republicans take this/these position(s)?

I'm a registered republican, but I'm also atheist. Evolution cannot be denied by any rational individual, I'm in favor of vaccination programs, but I don't think that schools should have athletic fields unless the sports franchises want to pay for them- taxpayers are mandated to educate children in readin' writin' and 'rithmatic, but they shouldn't be funding sports programs.

You can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have no doubt Obamacare increased costs - it's increased mine and for most folks I know.
You plainly know only a very select group of people. No doubt many among them are one-time free-rider wannabes who -- being invincible and all -- never did bother to buy any insurance or only bought policies that wouldn't actually have paid anything if something had gone wrong. We all know that people get needed care in an emergency whether they pay for it or not, so hey -- why pay?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:10 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
All employees should have healthcare, it’s nothing new. However to blame the Affordable Care Act isn’t correct. Why an employer didn’t provide it themselves should be the issue, looks like poor management and control of the school tax base. People need to care enough about their teachers and employees at the school to have healthcare available for them.

The question should be why is health insurance and healthcare so costly and profitable for those in the industry? Can you say “profit” and overpaid executives at the top. Many hospitals use to be non-profit at one time in history.
Excellent point!

Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 AM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
People keep saying their insurance went up, but it's not true..what is true is many people including me had cheaper policies that are now no longer to be sold because they don't cover certain things that are now required. So while I pay more for insurance now, my insurance didn't go up per say, they just don't sell that cheap policy anymore. So now I pay more but have a better policy.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You seem to be very poorly informed. What makes you think that all Republicans take this/these position(s)?
I'm quite well informed, thanks, which is one reason that I know all these nutcase complaints in my area to in fact have come from Republicans in the traditional form of right-wing public school bashing. Does this mean every person believing him- or herself to be a Republican has pushed all or even any of these inane points? Of course not. Logic and the English language do not work that way. And neither does some crude argument from the outliers make any sense at all.

Quote:
I'm a registered republican, but I'm also atheist. Evolution cannot be denied by any rational individual, I'm in favor of vaccination programs, but I don't think that schools should have athletic fields unless the sports franchises want to pay for them- taxpayers are mandated to educate children in readin' writin' and 'rithmatic, but they shouldn't be funding sports programs.
Health and PE are important programs for all students. Intramural and interscholastic sports bring many benefits to students and to schools that participate in them. So do music, theater, and dance programs as well as science, history, and foreign studies and language programs. If all one is ever going to do is hunt gators in the swamps, many of these things would not be needed. But a lot of people do aim higher than hunting gators in the swamps.

Quote:
You can't paint everyone with the same brush.
You can often paint all the cattle in the same pen with the same brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies