Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Therein lies the truth in the old adage, "if by the age of 25, you aren't a liberal, you have no heart. If by the age of 40, you aren't a conservative, you have no brain".
that used to be true, before Faux news and the Republican party. These days conservative means anti-science, pro-discrimination brainless

If conservative was still conservative (small government, no interference, based on data/facts) it would be the obvious choice for the rational

now - its just a party of dolts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
One goes to college to be educated and to be able to have interesting conversations with others. A well rounded education is always useful to jump into a work related area. Self taught folks can also do well, but many require a more formal education. The other aspect is obtaining a profession and that has to do with specific jobs that require a license.

Colleges are selling a lot of liberal art degrees and do not land jobs. Colleges do the propaganda to collect the money from student loans. College is a business and marketing is everything.
There is a nursing school as part of the college I attend. To get an RN, they are required to take History, Algebra and a lot of other classes that they don't need for their profession. And it has changed. My sister is a retired RN. When she was in school, nursing students primarily took classes associated with their profession.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
These are vast generalities. Are there some that do this? Yes.

On the other hand I watched a bunch of young guys yesterday fighting for first place.
They were fighting for first place because of human nature, the need to win. We are bred with it in our DNA, however, progressives feel they need to try and breed this worthy aspiration right out of our DNA.

Be honest will ya?

The need to be politically correct, that the sexes are not only equal but effectively the same, that there are no losers only winners, that everyone should be identical IS WAY OUT OF CONTROL!!!

The very nuts who believe this nonsense are the ones who feel above the rest as they foist their insanity on society. They are the ultimate "do as I say not as I do" bunch of hypocrites. God forbid this psychotic behavior continues, because we'll be in a sh\tpile of hurt if it does.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There is a nursing school as part of the college I attend. To get an RN, they are required to take History, Algebra and a lot of other classes that they don't need for their profession. And it has changed. My sister is a retired RN. When she was in school, nursing students primarily took classes associated with their profession.
You have to understand why.

Lawyers become judges, and judges and lawyers become politicians. We all know why.

Just as the legal system is, the education system is exploited by those who benefit the most. Who would that be?

Why should they stop at teaching exactly what a nurse will need, if they can double the credits to become an RN by requiring more classes?

As with anything else; FOLLOW THE MONEY

Old 10-20-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
that used to be true, before Faux news and the Republican party. These days conservative means anti-science, pro-discrimination brainless

If conservative was still conservative (small government, no interference, based on data/facts) it would be the obvious choice for the rational

Originally Posted by GuyNTexas
Therein lies the truth in the old adage, "if by the age of 25, you aren't a liberal, you have no heart. If by the age of 40, you aren't a conservative, you have no brain".

He doesn't even realize that he validated your point.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The first light bulbs, by the way, lasted much longer. The world's oldest light bulb (~110 years old) still works. But why do light bulbs that I buy at the store now only last a couple of months at best?
Though most of what you posted was logical, the question I;d ask is: Where the hell do you buy your light bulbs?

Light bulbs are so much more intelligently built now. Do you know how inefficient that 100 year old light bulb is? I've switched to LED exclusively, and they'll last 50,000-100,000 hours and save me 70-90% on electricity.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:15 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

I will add that a lot of Republicans think the Earth is 6000 years old and deny evolution. And then they say a college education is meaningless.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A well rounded education is necessary. Otherwise, folks are just uninteresting technicians that cannot hold a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies