Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

And YES George W. Bush, in the post 9/11 world kept us safe.

Barak Obama however has just not called terrorist attacks on American soil "terrorist attacks"
so he can claim we haven't had any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Iraq was stable before we went in.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:42 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What issues don't I understand? We are both (in theory) against current and past warmongering, difference being I have been consistent in my actions and you have been paying lip service.
What are you talking about? President Obama spoke of withdrawing all the troops from Afghanistan, a promise he is now breaking (much to the delight of conservatives), based on the conditions in Afghanistan, which survives as a government in Kabul simply because we are propping it up. It dissolves the day we leave the country.

Pres. Obama also withdrew all U.S. forces from Iraq, much to the dismay of conservatives, who now blame him for the rise of ISIS instead of who is really responsible, the people who created the conditions for this group to form. That would be the neoconservatives who decided to invade Iraq.

My position has been consistent throughout, and I've made it clear.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You don't get it, more bombing won't solve anything. It will make things worse. You, and everyone in this country, have no idea on how to "win" anything in Afghanistan. Perpetual war is making people money, so not winning is more profitable. And it's our only alternative anyway, so all the bluster about an Afghan government and Afghan military is a joke. They only exist because we are paying them and supporting them.
Surge baby Surge!

Bush 3.0 leaving office soon, probably followed by Clinton 2.0 who will have us bombing around there for another 8 years.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? President Obama spoke of withdrawing all the troops from Afghanistan, a promise he is now breaking (much to the delight of conservatives), based on the conditions in Afghanistan, which survives as a government in Kabul simply because we are propping it up. It dissolves the day we leave the country.
He didn't just "speak about it". It was a campaign promise.

Quote:
Pres. Obama also withdrew all U.S. forces from Iraq, much to the dismay of conservatives, who now blame him for the rise of ISIS instead of who is really responsible, the people who created the conditions for this group to form. That would be the neoconservatives who decided to invade Iraq.
That part is true but we never pulled all the troops. We just called them something different for awhile.

Quote:
Yes you have. You will vote for war as long as it is your guy running things.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:55 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

Fact check time:

Obama did not withdraw the US forces from Iraq....that was the Bush withdraw plan.
In fact, Obama tried to delay it and the Iraqi government said NO.

Obama then instead ordered the surge into Afghanistan.

You gloss over or get wrong a lot of basic facts while repeatedly mentioning conservatives.

Time to shake off your cognitive dissonance, I almost fell out of my chair when you admitted Obama broke his withdrawal promise...it's a baby step but an important step on your journey back to non-partisan reality.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
I have all the credibility I need, I argued against invading Iraq and I've argued for withdrawal from Afghanistan under Bush and Obama.

And I'm proud I voted for Obama. My other choices were Sarah Palin () and some billionaire country club a-hole who made his money being a vulture capitalist.

Yea, great choices there.
You could have voted for Jill Stein of the Green Party the last time, I don't see how anyone could vote for Obama a second time, he is just as bad as the Republicans if not worst. We did not need four more years of slow decline under Obama which is what Hillary will give us if she is elected.
We are slowly letting ourselves bleed out.
We were led by a president that made promises, we expected to see reform but Obama abandoned the people that he made so many promises to. Sold us out to the corporations and continued to add to the abuses of power created by the Bush administration in the name of national security.

Last edited by ted08721; 10-19-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Bombing for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
we aren't going to agree on much of anything. the Iranian issue is complicated. You and others like to look at what we did then in isolated terms. I cannot do that. That was part of the greater Cold War era and we made decisions and did things based on the spreading power of the USSR.

Some things we did were mistakes. Some things we did were not. Other things we did were right, but we failed to follow thru and our good was "evil spoken of" as the saying goes.

in the context of the cold war, the actions in Iran are far more cloudy than you make them out to be.

The world would be a safer place post Iraq war had Americans made the commitment to stay there and demand stabilization the way we did in both Japan and Germany post WW2.
When the answer is war the wrong question is being asked.
The Cold War is dead get over it.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
US F-16 struck by enemy fire in Afghanistan in rare attack

When presented with the images, the US military confirmed in a statement to AFP late Saturday: "On October 13, a US F-16 encountered small arms fire in the Paktia Province in Afghanistan. The surface to air fire impacted one of the aircraft's stabilisers and caused damage to one of the munitions.
"The pilot jettisoned two fuel tanks and three munitions before safely returning to base. The pilot received no injuries and safely returned to base."
Glad the pilot made it back safely.

We make ourselves look bad by playing patty cake with these people. Either we need to be serious and get the job done, or just get out of there. Otherwise, we are risking lives, spending money needlessly, and wasting resources and money that we don't have.
If we had let the military off the leash two years ago, ISIL would just be some small group of jihadists in Syria, causing trouble, and tens of thousands of Iraqi lives would not have been destroyed. But we had a government who wanted to pretend they were awesome sauce, the bee's knees, etc...., and brag about having the terrorists back on their heels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies